Crackling on handset and modem disconnecting

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
Darren_111

Crackling on handset and modem disconnecting

Post by Darren_111 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:20 pm

Over several months I’ve had a line fault on my Exetel provided line. It sometimes gave me a crackling sound on my handset and frequent disconnections of my modem. I replaced my local cabling and my modem with no improvement. I had been scared of the $220 incorrect callout fee and so had just lived with the intermittent problem. Eventually it got to the stage where the handset was crackling most of the time and the modem would disconnect during most hours. At this stage I reported both the crackling and the disconnections to Exetel. I was sure the fault would be found now.

I was told that a technician would visit on 25/02. I made special arrangements for someone to be home and available. The Technician did not come and I did not receive any apology or even an update.

After 4 days of hearing nothing I was then told that a technician would visit on 03/03. I again made arrangements for someone to be present. This time a tech did actually come.

By the time the technician eventually came my handset had stopped cackling and the modem connection was stable. The technician reported they could find no fault and Exetel informed me that I would be billed an "Incorrect Call out fee" of $220. To make matters worse, now my handset is crackling again and my modem is disconnecting.

I have complained to Exetel by phone and by email about this charge and they are not at all interest in my plight. I’ve been a loyal Exetel customer since 2004 and I have 3 services with Exetel. This appears to mean nothing to them.

I’m hoping I don’t have to lodge a complaint with the Telecommunication Industry Ombudsman or move my 3 services to another provider. Is there anyone who reads this forum able to help me avoid this fee and perhaps get my line fixed as well?

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Re: Crackling on handset and modem disconnecting

Post by KavindaS » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:08 am

Darren_111 wrote:Over several months I’ve had a line fault on my Exetel provided line. It sometimes gave me a crackling sound on my handset and frequent disconnections of my modem. I replaced my local cabling and my modem with no improvement. I had been scared of the $220 incorrect callout fee and so had just lived with the intermittent problem. Eventually it got to the stage where the handset was crackling most of the time and the modem would disconnect during most hours. At this stage I reported both the crackling and the disconnections to Exetel. I was sure the fault would be found now.

I was told that a technician would visit on 25/02. I made special arrangements for someone to be home and available. The Technician did not come and I did not receive any apology or even an update.

After 4 days of hearing nothing I was then told that a technician would visit on 03/03. I again made arrangements for someone to be present. This time a tech did actually come.

By the time the technician eventually came my handset had stopped cackling and the modem connection was stable. The technician reported they could find no fault and Exetel informed me that I would be billed an "Incorrect Call out fee" of $220. To make matters worse, now my handset is crackling again and my modem is disconnecting.

I have complained to Exetel by phone and by email about this charge and they are not at all interest in my plight. I’ve been a loyal Exetel customer since 2004 and I have 3 services with Exetel. This appears to mean nothing to them.

I’m hoping I don’t have to lodge a complaint with the Telecommunication Industry Ombudsman or move my 3 services to another provider. Is there anyone who reads this forum able to help me avoid this fee and perhaps get my line fixed as well?
I have re escalated this with my manager and will update you via Ticket 7744743 & 7611829.

Darren_111

Post by Darren_111 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:51 pm

The quoted text below is the reply I eventually received. I don't understand what this person is saying. Does this make sense to anyone? Does this person even realise I've already been billed the fee? Did they not read I've already replaced my local cabling and my modem?
----
"Thank you for your e-mail.

Kindly note, in order to investigate the intermittent issue that you are reporting, will require a interference technician. Therefore, to report this issue to our wholesale supplier an agreement to the incorrect call out fee is required. This has been confirmed with the management and we are unable to proceed in reporting the fault to our wholesale supplier.

As a suggestion, please make arrangements to check your internal cabling and all other equipment related your ADSL service.

If the above mentioned does not satisfy your requirement, please advise of your preference in this regard.

Exetel apologizes for any inconvenience this may have caused."
----

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:57 am

Darren_111 wrote:The quoted text below is the reply I eventually received. I don't understand what this person is saying. Does this make sense to anyone? Does this person even realise I've already been billed the fee? Did they not read I've already replaced my local cabling and my modem?
----
"Thank you for your e-mail.

Kindly note, in order to investigate the intermittent issue that you are reporting, will require a interference technician. Therefore, to report this issue to our wholesale supplier an agreement to the incorrect call out fee is required. This has been confirmed with the management and we are unable to proceed in reporting the fault to our wholesale supplier.

As a suggestion, please make arrangements to check your internal cabling and all other equipment related your ADSL service.

If the above mentioned does not satisfy your requirement, please advise of your preference in this regard.

Exetel apologizes for any inconvenience this may have caused."
----
Above means we have advised you of what needs to be done.

Since you have confirmed that you did check your internal cabling, equipment and if you're confident taht there is no issue at your premises, then we will raise the case with the supplier as soon as we get your consent with regards to the incorrect Call out Fee.

Darren_111

Post by Darren_111 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:21 pm

I have already paid one lot of $220 “incorrect callout fee”. I’m trying to get this fee waived before anything else is done. I believe that Exetel’s line provider is to blame for not detecting the fault and Exetel should not accept this fee from their provider.

I acted diligently and in good faith by waiting for my intermittent fault to be at its worst and easily observable. If the technician had come to check the line when he was scheduled to, then the fault could have been easily observed. Since he came many days later than the scheduled appointment the line had reverted to its good state and he saw no problem.

I can only complain to Exetel. Exetel should represent my case to the line provider and not pass on this fee. If Exetel is not willing to do this then I cannot remain an Exetel customer.

daveb

Post by daveb » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:47 pm

This won't help you at all, but in sympathy... I am looking at a line crackle problem too, which is slowing my ADSL and has rendered the landline dead. The agent dealing with my flat tells me I would have to pay a technician $90 to check the lines inside the building. So I have two companies both holding me financially responsible if it's the other's fault. It's most likely on the network but exetel charge the larger penalty of $200+ if I gamble wrong. Worst case scenario, neither find a fault and both want to be paid.

You have pointed out yet another pitfall where I will be held liable for a fault being intermittent. Obviously none of these situations is my responsibility yet I am expected to underwrite the lot simply because the two parties are unwilling to cooperate.

Your experience has confirmed my worst fears about this and I too am wondering if my best option is to investigate an alternative provider. The fact that my post has had over 3000 views and not a single comment other than from exetel inviting me to roll the dice is somewhat perplexing also. (viewtopic.php?f=289&t=40947)

d

surinf
Exetel Staff

Post by surinf » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:28 pm

daveb wrote:This won't help you at all, but in sympathy... I am looking at a line crackle problem too, which is slowing my ADSL and has rendered the landline dead. The agent dealing with my flat tells me I would have to pay a technician $90 to check the lines inside the building. So I have two companies both holding me financially responsible if it's the other's fault. It's most likely on the network but exetel charge the larger penalty of $200+ if I gamble wrong. Worst case scenario, neither find a fault and both want to be paid.

You have pointed out yet another pitfall where I will be held liable for a fault being intermittent. Obviously none of these situations is my responsibility yet I am expected to underwrite the lot simply because the two parties are unwilling to cooperate.

Your experience has confirmed my worst fears about this and I too am wondering if my best option is to investigate an alternative provider. The fact that my post has had over 3000 views and not a single comment other than from exetel inviting me to roll the dice is somewhat perplexing also. (viewtopic.php?f=289&t=40947)

d
Hi daveb,

As per the discussion your issue has been escalated to our wholesale supplier. Your ref 7811482. We will provide you updates as they come by. :)

daveb

Post by daveb » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:17 pm

FYI I received a call after my last post informing me exetel would seek to repair the problem and the callout fee condition would be waived. I then got an SMS saying some time in the next couple of weeks (by may 7) they would need to access the MDF/NBP or the fee would be applied afterall. Not what I agreed to and not sure what that would entail but hopefully a simple matter. I'll need to enquire with the RE agent.

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:38 am

FYI I received a call after my last post informing me exetel would seek to repair the problem and the callout fee condition would be waived. I then got an SMS saying some time in the next couple of weeks (by may 7) they would need to access the MDF/NBP or the fee would be applied afterall. Not what I agreed to and not sure what that would entail but hopefully a simple matter. I'll need to enquire with the RE agent.
The text message sent to you is a general notification sent to any customer who has been given a commitment on an escalation.

You needn't worry about this.