inquiry about my unresolved issue

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
stalker878

inquiry about my unresolved issue

Post by stalker878 » Sat May 17, 2014 10:17 pm

REF: 7726853

Hi,

It has been 2 months and my ongoing issue with very slow ADSL/2+ speeds (~600kbps) is still unresolved.
multiple repairs later, its still unresolved.

i didn't get an update on the latest repair which supposedly involved a POI (Point Of Interconnect) change. at this moment of writing, i am still syncing at a low speed. and a high SNR (~12).

There is a fault in the line/system. that is confirmed by the technician who came and did the line test on site using a sunrise adsl tester.

Now exetel calls me to tell me that they would like us to terminate and refund us all the fees. Reason being that the problem cannot be fixed, but no details were given.
there are not many providers in my region and i would like the internet service.
Question is what is the problem? why can't it be fixed?
if the port is faulty, please swap to another port.
i am quite technically sound and would appreciate some details please.

thanks.

lasithah
Exetel Staff

Re: inquiry about my unresolved issue

Post by lasithah » Sat May 17, 2014 10:45 pm

stalker878 wrote:REF: 7726853

Hi,

It has been 2 months and my ongoing issue with very slow ADSL/2+ speeds (~600kbps) is still unresolved.
multiple repairs later, its still unresolved.

i didn't get an update on the latest repair which supposedly involved a POI (Point Of Interconnect) change. at this moment of writing, i am still syncing at a low speed. and a high SNR (~12).

There is a fault in the line/system. that is confirmed by the technician who came and did the line test on site using a sunrise adsl tester.

Now exetel calls me to tell me that they would like us to terminate and refund us all the fees. Reason being that the problem cannot be fixed, but no details were given.
there are not many providers in my region and i would like the internet service.
Question is what is the problem? why can't it be fixed?
if the port is faulty, please swap to another port.
i am quite technically sound and would appreciate some details please.

thanks.
Hi stalker878,

The reason we cannot go ahead with the POI change is that we have been advised that the copper ULL services are no longer serviceable in your area due to the Optical fibre rollout. That's why there is no other option that we can offer you as of this moment.

Kind Regards

stalker878

Post by stalker878 » Sun May 18, 2014 1:47 am

what does it mean the ULL is not serviceable?
so what exactly is the problem? why was a POI change necessary?

what does fibre rollout got to do with ULL being not servicable?
the copper network should still be serviced since fibre is not rolled out in my distribution area.

am I connected to a telstra or optus port? was it telstra who advised that the ULL is not serviceable?
does that mean adsl even if i port to telstra bigpond is still not serviceable?

thanks.
Last edited by stalker878 on Sun May 18, 2014 3:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

stalker878

Post by stalker878 » Sun May 18, 2014 2:07 am

and besides. the expected fibre rollout date for my region (west mackay) is 04 Jul 2014.
and it is not available at the moment.

so telstra should still be servicing the ULL as its before the Cease Sale obligation.

HashiniA
Exetel Staff

Post by HashiniA » Sun May 18, 2014 5:30 pm

stalker878 wrote:what does it mean the ULL is not serviceable?
so what exactly is the problem? why was a POI change necessary?

what does fibre rollout got to do with ULL being not servicable?
the copper network should still be serviced since fibre is not rolled out in my distribution area.

am I connected to a telstra or optus port? was it telstra who advised that the ULL is not serviceable?
does that mean adsl even if i port to telstra bigpond is still not serviceable?

thanks.
Hello stalker878,

Basically a ULL is just a copper pair that a ISP borrows from Telstra. This pair runs from the DSLAM in the exchange near you, to your house. Once we raised this fault to our wholesale supplier they have identified that as a last resort a POI (Point Of Interconnect Change) is required in order to restore the service. However after doing all the feasibility tests they have found out that POI change cannot be completed for your service as area is no longer serviceable by new copper and is now a fibre feed area. The wholesale supplier for your service is optus. You may contact Telstra to check whether they will be able to provide ADSL services in your area.

stalker878

Post by stalker878 » Sun May 18, 2014 7:19 pm

my area is still not optic fibre ready.
you can see it for yourself on the nbn website. so i do not think that reason for not fixing the problem is valid.

what is the fault here that is causing the problem?
is it the ULL aka copper line or the optus DSLAM port itself?
if its the cable, can't a transposition be done? or what alternatives are there? I am sure there is a work around.
if its the port, can't i be swapped onto a telstra port? exetel is a current reseller of telstra products as well right?

thanks.
al

stalker878

Post by stalker878 » Sun May 18, 2014 11:41 pm

could a swap to a telstra port via a rim solve the problem?

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Mon May 19, 2014 12:49 am

Since this has been considered a part of the fibre feed area, the service state will remain at its current state.

We are unable to make a POI change as it involves making permanent changes which have been deemed unserviceable due to the above stated fact. They have given a temporary fix for the same reason and there is no work around for this.

We do provide Telstra services but you will need to go through a Service Qualification and we cannot guarantee that this would resolve the situation either.

Also if you go ahead with this and since you would be changing the wholesale provider activation charges may apply.

stalker878

Post by stalker878 » Mon May 19, 2014 1:03 am

what is the temporary fix? there aren't any changes to my connection at the moment. i am still syncing at 600kbps downstream.

no one has told me what exactly is the problem?
i have only been told that it cannot be fixed due to my area wrongly being classified as fibre ready.
the nbn website shows that my zone is not fibre ready and there is no ETA for fibre ready status.

so essentially if i were to proceed for a telstra port via a RIM,it would be like a new connection?
what fees are involved? what plans are available via telstra? and will the plan restart?
is a telstra port via a RIM the fix to my issue?

i will still be refunded back everything up to this point as promised right?

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Mon May 19, 2014 1:12 am

what is the temporary fix? there aren't any changes to my connection at the moment. i am still syncing at 600kbps downstream.

no one has told me what exactly is the problem?
Appears some hardware failure was restored and a pair has been transferred on your service. If the issue persists it's because no further action can be taken to resolve the issue.
i have only been told that it cannot be fixed due to my area wrongly being classified as fibre ready.
the nbn website shows that my zone is not fibre ready and there is no ETA for fibre ready status.
Your area is not fibre ready yet but it is being worked on and these areas where fibre is being rolled out are considered unserviceable areas where permanent fixes such as laying of new copper lines are not done which would be a fix for your issue.
so essentially if i were to proceed for a telstra port via a RIM,it would be like a new connection?
what fees are involved? what plans are available via telstra? and will the plan restart?
I am not sure about the charges that will apply for this and will get a Sales representative to get back to you on this.
is a telstra port via a RIM the fix to my issue?
This is not a guarantee that we can give because the service, although provided through Optus would use the same copper lines and you may continue to have the same issue. We are unfortunately unable to guarantee that it will fix the current issue.
i will still be refunded back everything up to this point as promised right?
This has been forwarded to our Management and you would be advised accordingly once the decision has been made/finalized.

stalker878

Post by stalker878 » Mon May 19, 2014 1:33 am

what is the problem?

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Mon May 19, 2014 1:42 am

It appears the issue is with the quality of the Copper between the exchange and your premise.

What we tried to do was change the path the service comes through but unfortunately we were unable to do so due to the reason advise in the previous posts.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Please advise if you wish to look into changing to a Telstra port so that we can advise our Sales team to get in touch with you.

stalker878

Post by stalker878 » Mon May 19, 2014 1:51 am

has the location of the faulty cable point been identified?

wouldn't using a rim to bring the dslam closer to my home be a fix?

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Mon May 19, 2014 1:55 am

has the location of the faulty cable point been identified?
It most likely would have been which would explain how this fix was determined.
wouldn't using a rim to bring the dslam closer to my home be a fix?
This is not something we can determine before a service is provisioned.

stalker878

Post by stalker878 » Mon May 19, 2014 1:58 am

if the location is identified, then where is it? if its between my house and the rim, then a subsequent port will not help.

if its between the rim and the exchange, then wouldn't diverting the service through the rim help?

if i were to go ahead with provisioning of a telstra service. would you guys ensure that the current ULL issue with optus be forwarded to telstra? so that they don't just use the same ULL again, making the port essentially useless? basically ensure that telstra provisions the service not via the same ULL?