my internet is connecting but wireless doesn't?

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
malskitt

my internet is connecting but wireless doesn't?

Post by malskitt » Mon May 19, 2014 3:04 pm

Hi all,

My son reset my modem and when I got it all up and working, all equipment that connects the wirelessly, fails.

I don't understand what's wrong. Internet is fine when cabled to modem but wireless wont work. Please help as I have a 17 year step daughter doing her Year 12 and she needs to study.

Thanks all. Cheers Mal

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: my internet is connecting but wireless doesn't?

Post by Dazzled » Mon May 19, 2014 5:06 pm

First and simplest possibility is that the reset modem-router has kept its settings but disabled wireless. If so, go to the wireless config page and put it back.

If that's not it, you will have to reconfigure wireless security. I hope you recorded these particulars in a notebook for future reference.

No, then get one of the computers to tell you the details formerly used for your wireless - they can tell the SSID and type of encryption used - note it. It probably won't tell you the password, but have a look. Now you can go back and make the router match. If you don't know the password, invent a new one and then change the computers to suit.

GLOpro

Re: my internet is connecting but wireless doesn't?

Post by GLOpro » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:21 pm

Often poor or patchy wifi is the cause from a failing Modem PSU.

Try to replace the powersupply and see if that fixes it.