Off-Peak download scheduled.

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
spence

Off-Peak download scheduled.

Post by spence » Tue May 20, 2014 2:03 pm

Hello,
I have configured my modem to only allow one of my devices onto the internet during off-peak times (0100-0900) as it does a lot of downloading for me. I still seem to see more usage (overall) during peak times than I would expect though.
Is there a more definitive breakdown of download/time than the ADSL Usage graph and its daily figures?
I have checked that the device cannot access the net during the specified times, so I am wondering if there is a discrepancy in the peak/off-peak times.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Off-Peak download scheduled.

Post by Dazzled » Tue May 20, 2014 2:49 pm

There are two simple ways that come to mind:

1. Periodically read the XML usage meter at https://www.exetel.com.au/members/usage ... E,PASSWORD where you use your own user's facility login details. This is frequently updated, and the last time of measurement is given (at present the last reading was just under 30 mins ago).

2. Periodically read the usage data from your modem/router. All these devices record stats for the data that passes through them. Choose whatever interval suits.

Either task can be automated and logged to file if necessary. Exetel will record download data that is sent but rejected by the modem firewall; if this happens follow it up further, as a change of IP might be needed.

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Wed May 21, 2014 12:05 am

spence wrote:Is there a more definitive breakdown of download/time than the ADSL Usage graph and its daily figures?
If you could PM me your service number I should be able to get this checked for you.

spence

Post by spence » Wed May 21, 2014 11:32 am

Sent PM, but it says it is sitting in Outbox.

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Thu May 22, 2014 12:10 am

spence wrote:Sent PM, but it says it is sitting in Outbox.
PM received.

Could you tell me the date you want checked? I will be able to get this information looked into and highlight the high usage times.

spence

Post by spence » Thu May 22, 2014 8:21 am

Could I get 18/5-20/5 inclusive?

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Thu May 22, 2014 8:34 am

spence wrote:Could I get 18/5-20/5 inclusive?
I am unable to provide you the full detailed usage information but I can tell you what times the high usage was displayed at.

You will receive an email on your nominated email address with this information. Your reference #7938283

felix

Post by felix » Thu May 22, 2014 12:38 pm

If you've had someone attempting to brute force your IP for anything, this will chew up your bandwidth, regardless of whether your router accepts or drops the traffic. A few years ago I was sent a report from someone who used a basic ADSL for voip as an ISDN replacement and lost over 25% of their month's quota to unsuccessful brute force attempts.

If it keeps up, time to change IP address.