Persistent Line Problems

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
squeakytown

Persistent Line Problems

Post by squeakytown » Sat May 24, 2014 3:52 pm

Hi,

Over the past 8 months I have been experiencing various lower than normal sync rates. The connection is stable, just the sync speeds are lower than I have had and all my neighbours still get.
Various faults have been raised, Teltra visits and work completed when things get worse than the new normal slow syncs.
I have otherwise just accepted the slower sync rate as my new normal rate.

My Rates are 3500 / 850 (Once a upon a time i had 5000+)
Attn 52 / 31
SNR 12 / 12

Now for my latest issue….
Use the phone (dial tone normal) and watch the DL sync rate drop between 500 and 1500, the SNR drops to 8. Hang up and all goes back to normal - sometimes slightly higher than it was to start with.
Leave the phone off the hook more than 20 seconds and the modem will drop out altogether, disconnecting from Exetel and the modem does thru the startup process.

My Equipment...
Two different brand modems are affected the same (One brand new).
Three different line filters have provide no change (One brand new).
Three different cables have been used with the Modem and phone - no difference.
Bought another phone - same affect.
I have two phone points tested both and same results (My standard location is the primary first point).
This first point is a brand new socket installed by Telstra about 2 months ago as a result of my last fault.
House is 30+ years old...

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Persistent Line Problems

Post by Dazzled » Sat May 24, 2014 5:20 pm

The modem is dropping because it cannot extract a signal from the noise. The phone signal is creating noise at the modem.

I can see why you are baffled, as it is classic bad filter behaviour. You haven't stated it, but the modem must not be filtered, and everything else on the line should be. Do you have an unfiltered Foxtel for example, or worse, an alarm (alarms are best central filtered) or even an old extension bell? The house is old enough to have a dead phone branch, with either a DIY poor joint, or perhaps one long enough for a bridge tap. If so, get rid of it. Bad joints in the line or at the wall plates are also possibilities, with attenuation and capacitance effects. Also try another handset if you can borrow one from next door.

Presumably the Telstra bloke is satisfied with the external line up to the first phone point. You are on the right track in looking at changed modem state, as the modem measures the line condition. It might be worthwhile reading Quiet Line Noise, SNR and Hlog for each tone from the modem on telnet if you wish to get really technical - it's the equivalent of a tech's test instrument. Most modems, but not all, have this accessible. Otherwise of course get in a cabler to look at your house.

squeakytown

Post by squeakytown » Sun May 25, 2014 7:27 am

Hi,

There are no other devices on the line (foxtel, alarm etc).
The issue occurs when the modem is plugged directly into the socket and phone used on a filtered second socket or both together using the correct phone/adsl sockets on a splitter.

There are no other junctions on the the line. No MDF and the cable comes out of the ground directly at the first point. The cable has no play and provided the technician with only 10cm of cable to work with - cable could not be moved.

I find when the sync drop down to 2000 all I have to do is take the phone on and off the hook a couple of times to get the max rate back into the 3000's and then reset the modem.
The occurs with two different phones.

Given this occurs at the first Telstra point -are cablers allowed to work on it?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon May 26, 2014 10:03 am

squeakytown wrote:Given this occurs at the first Telstra point -are cablers allowed to work on it?
Difficult to say. If the telcos (and by this I mean either Telstra or Exetel) wanted to, they could claim that 2-3 Mbps "meets the minimum requirements for ADSL2+" and not be required to investigate any further.

If a Telstra technician was called out, then yes: they can examine the cabling right up to the first wall point inside your house (and in my experience, this is often exactly what they do)
squeakytown wrote:Various faults have been raised, Teltra visits and work completed when things get worse than the new normal slow syncs.
I have otherwise just accepted the slower sync rate as my new normal rate.
In all honesty, it doesn't seem that raising another fault is really going to fix things. Your situation seems to be similar to many others that I have witnessed (including my own; I used to sync at 7Mbps, now I sync at 4Mbps but my modem keeps renegotiating down as low as 2 or 2.5Mbps). It seems like general poor or temperamental cabling and this may be a systematic issue all the way back to the exchange (i.e. cables may pass through damaged or waterlogged pits, the wires themselves may be poor quality, etc). All symptoms of an aging copper line network I guess.

The other thing that I reckon happens is that down a street, there might be (let's say) 100 wires and 10 of those are poorer than average quality. I reckon a lot of Telstra maintenance is just "shifting the deckchairs" to move connections around. I had a "no dial tone" fault that was rectified by a Telstra technician and that afternoon my neighbour complained of a loss of dial-tone at the exact time that mine was fixed.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au