Slow speeds in the evening on Optus unlimited plan?

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
Ingrid
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:44 pm
Location: Sydney

Slow speeds in the evening on Optus unlimited plan?

Post by Ingrid » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:00 pm

Hi,

I have been connected to the new Optus unlimited plan for approximately 2 months and the speeds in the evening are really slow. In the mornings (I use it prior to around 7am) the speeds are much better. It almost feels like there is speed limiting during peak periods.

Right now the exetel speed test shows "Your current bandwidth reading is:186.50kbps which means you can download at 23.31 KB/sec. from our servers." however this morning it showed "Your current bandwidth reading is: 3.58 Mbps which means you can download at 457.69 KB/sec. from our servers.'

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ingrid

ShaminG
Exetel Staff
Posts: 960
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Slow speeds in the evening on Optus unlimited plan?

Post by ShaminG » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:07 pm

Ingrid wrote:Hi,

I have been connected to the new Optus unlimited plan for approximately 2 months and the speeds in the evening are really slow. In the mornings (I use it prior to around 7am) the speeds are much better. It almost feels like there is speed limiting during peak periods.

Right now the exetel speed test shows "Your current bandwidth reading is:186.50kbps which means you can download at 23.31 KB/sec. from our servers." however this morning it showed "Your current bandwidth reading is: 3.58 Mbps which means you can download at 457.69 KB/sec. from our servers.'

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Could you please conduct few speed tests via http://speedtest.nsw.exetel.com.au/ and post the results so we can have this investigated further. Try the test both in the morning and afternoon and update us with the results.

Chibrichish
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:09 pm
Location: NSW

Re: Slow speeds in the evening on Optus unlimited plan?

Post by Chibrichish » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:18 pm

Speedtest results as requested.

http://speedtest.nsw.exetel.com.au/ --> 2.26Mbps down --> 0.59Mbps up
http://speedtest.net (Telstra) --> 0.47Mbps down --> 0.50Mbps up

Modem currently synced at 6278 / 766

eluu
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:45 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Slow speeds in the evening on Optus unlimited plan?

Post by eluu » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:27 pm

Image

Almost uncanny that the speeds are the same which indicates blatant throttling.

And no we will not test our speeds on http://speedtest.nsw.exetel.com.au/

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 6018
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Slow speeds in the evening on Optus unlimited plan?

Post by Dazzled » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:25 pm

The speed test attached and the usual Exetel speed test are both javascript downloads, with the Exetel source being closer on the network.

I suggest you might try a downloader targetting http://www.exetel.com.au/speed/dsl/adsl ... speeds.php, which would both keep the network distance short, and avoid javascript. Downloaders all provide a speed summary. That server is faster than most connections, and certainly will be faster than your present service.

Chibrichish
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:09 pm
Location: NSW

Re: Slow speeds in the evening on Optus unlimited plan?

Post by Chibrichish » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:32 am

Speedtest results as requested.

http://speedtest.nsw.exetel.com.au/ --> 5.37Mbps down --> 0.65Mbps up
http://speedtest.net (Telstra) --> 5.34Mbps down --> 0.66Mbps up

Modem still synced at 6278 / 766

Ingrid
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:44 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Slow speeds in the evening on Optus unlimited plan?

Post by Ingrid » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:39 am

Hi ShaminG,

Thanks for your reply.

I used that test a few times last night between 8:45 - 10:30pm and the best it returned was 1.89Mbps download and 0.67 upload.

This morning between 5:30 and 6:30am, the best is returned was 15.52Mbps download and 0.67 upload.
The other exetel test showed “Your current bandwidth reading is: 19.69 Mbps which means you can download at 2.46 MB/sec. from our servers.”

I don't use any peer to peer sharing and had nothing downloading while the tests were being run.

I have also been through troubleshooting over the weekend and unplugged the telephone and tried plugging the modem into the 2 different phone sockets in the house (without any filters or splitters) to see if that made any difference and it didn't seem to improve the speeds at all. I currently have the modem plugged straight into the point with the phone plugged in via a filter on the other outlet/socket.

Any advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Ingrid

Chibrichish
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:09 pm
Location: NSW

Re: Slow speeds in the evening on Optus unlimited plan?

Post by Chibrichish » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:28 pm

Speedtest results as requested.

http://speedtest.nsw.exetel.com.au/ --> 3.76Mbps down --> 0.48Mbps up
http://speedtest.net (Telstra) --> 3.73Mbps down --> 0.41Mbps up

Modem still synced at 6278 / 766

eluu
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:45 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Slow speeds in the evening on Optus unlimited plan?

Post by eluu » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:24 pm

Not addressed to me but as below...

Code: Select all

This is to inform that we have received a response from our supplier regarding your reported slow speed issue.

According to the supplier's information, a network related issue is causing slow transfer rates as you experienced. We regret to inform you that there is no recent ETR provided by the supplier and unfortunately this is beyond Exetel's control as such we are unable to resolve this any sooner or push the supplier to resolve this sooner.

Further, we have requested Optus to check the possibilities of moving your service to a non-affected DSLAM. However, we still cannot guarantee an ETR for this process.

Considering all the above facts, if this issue is making your service un-usable and unsatisfactory, you may opt-out and choose a provider who is better able to meet your needs.

If you do intend to opt-out of the service, I can confirm that there will be no early termination fee applied. If your intend is to continue the service with Exetel, we are unable to offer you further refunds regards to Slow speed issues.
Well that's not great news

Chibrichish
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:09 pm
Location: NSW

Re: Slow speeds in the evening on Optus unlimited plan?

Post by Chibrichish » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:31 pm

And this evenings disgraceful results

Speedtest results as requested.

http://speedtest.nsw.exetel.com.au/ --> 1.50Mbps down --> 0.61Mbps up
http://speedtest.net (Telstra) --> 1.49Mbps down --> 0.61Mbps up

Modem still synced at 6278 / 766

ShaminG
Exetel Staff
Posts: 960
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Slow speeds in the evening on Optus unlimited plan?

Post by ShaminG » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:37 pm

Chibrichish wrote:And this evenings disgraceful results

Speedtest results as requested.

http://speedtest.nsw.exetel.com.au/ --> 1.50Mbps down --> 0.61Mbps up
http://speedtest.net (Telstra) --> 1.49Mbps down --> 0.61Mbps up

Modem still synced at 6278 / 766
We will be escalating your inquiry with our wholesale supplier for further investigations. We will keep you updated with any progress.

KavindaS
Exetel Staff
Posts: 2715
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:59 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Slow speeds in the evening on Optus unlimited plan?

Post by KavindaS » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:59 pm

Ingrid wrote:
Any advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Ingrid
Hi Ingrid,

We will be escalating your inquiry with our wholesale supplier for further investigations. I have already emailed to you few tests to be completed prior escalating the issue with them. Please go through the email and reply back to the same with the results attached as requested. Your ticket reference number is 8365658.

evansm
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:02 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Slow speeds in the evening on Optus unlimited plan?

Post by evansm » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:07 pm

eluu wrote:Not addressed to me but as below...

Code: Select all

This is to inform that we have received a response from our supplier regarding your reported slow speed issue.

According to the supplier's information, a network related issue is causing slow transfer rates as you experienced. We regret to inform you that there is no recent ETR provided by the supplier and unfortunately this is beyond Exetel's control as such we are unable to resolve this any sooner or push the supplier to resolve this sooner.

Further, we have requested Optus to check the possibilities of moving your service to a non-affected DSLAM. However, we still cannot guarantee an ETR for this process.

Considering all the above facts, if this issue is making your service un-usable and unsatisfactory, you may opt-out and choose a provider who is better able to meet your needs.

If you do intend to opt-out of the service, I can confirm that there will be no early termination fee applied. If your intend is to continue the service with Exetel, we are unable to offer you further refunds regards to Slow speed issues.
Well that's not great news
I BELIEVE THAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN MINE - EXETEL GOT A LITTLE UPSET I SHARED THAT ONE SO I DID REMOVE IT FROM VARIOUS LOCATIONS!!


I've actually started a new thread related directly to all speed issues and am urging anyone having issues to post the results there - ideally using ongoing speed tests from the web site http://testmy.net/ as that site allows automatic speed testing every 15 mins and logs it all so it can be accessed as a table with a graph giving a clear indication of speed changes throughout the day....

If you are willing to help build a case I posted the details in the thread as below:-

viewtopic.php?f=284&t=41348

Thanks.....

apat
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:39 am

Re: Slow speeds in the evening on Optus unlimited plan?

Post by apat » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:32 pm

I'm also at the end of my tether regarding the slow speeds on my Optus ADSL2+ plan.

I've been with Exetel since July 2004, and I don't want to go anywhere, but the service is all-but unusable between 5pm and midnight, and recently, most of the weekend.
I'm connected to the Wallsend NSW exchange, and sync at ~9500 (~3km from exchange). On a good morning downloads run at 950KB/s. Most afternoons I experience speeds of between 80 and 200KB/s.

Is there any possibility of having my service moved back to a Telstra port, allowing me to stay with Exetel?

KavindaS
Exetel Staff
Posts: 2715
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:59 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Slow speeds in the evening on Optus unlimited plan?

Post by KavindaS » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:18 pm

apat wrote:I'm also at the end of my tether regarding the slow speeds on my Optus ADSL2+ plan.

I've been with Exetel since July 2004, and I don't want to go anywhere, but the service is all-but unusable between 5pm and midnight, and recently, most of the weekend.
I'm connected to the Wallsend NSW exchange, and sync at ~9500 (~3km from exchange). On a good morning downloads run at 950KB/s. Most afternoons I experience speeds of between 80 and 200KB/s.

Is there any possibility of having my service moved back to a Telstra port, allowing me to stay with Exetel?
Please PM me your service number / Ticket number so I will check the possibilities and update you.

Post Reply