For anyone experiencing Speed problems..

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
evansm

For anyone experiencing Speed problems..

Post by evansm » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:56 pm

Hi All....I've had ongoing speed issues with Exetel for over 12 months. I've been advised in the past it is a supplier issue and there is no Estimated Time of Resolution, however I'm hoping to build a case for Exetel to use against their supplier (Optus I believe :oops: ) to have the issues investigated once and for all.

If you have had ongoing problems too, are interested in getting something done about it, and willing to leave a PC on doing tests please consider creating a log of your internet speeds over an extended period of time as I have been doing so that we can collect & compare results. To do this do the following:

1. Set the power settings on whatever computer is using to stop the computer going to sleep (start / control panel / power options in windows OR System Preferences / Energy Saver on MAC/OSX)

2. Go to site: http://testmy.net/

3. On the site click 'Auto Test' then choose 'Combined', 'Every 15 Minutues', and '100 times' then click 'Start Automatic Test'

The site will continually run a test of speeds over many hours - you can walk away and leave them running in the background, or while out....

You can share your results anytime by clicking on 'Your Results' at the top of the testmy.net page and copying the URL from the address bar....

In windows click the address bar to highlight it, then click CTRL+C to copy it...then come to this forum and click CTRL+V to paste OR on MAC click the address bar to highlight it then click COMMAND+C to copy it...then COMMAND+V to paste...

My results can be found at: http://testmy.net/compID/106106466953

You will see from the tests I've been doing there is a great variance in speeds, especially dropping speeds from late afternoon until after midnight - in my case many sites (including the speed test site) become unresponsive and regularly fail to load... :evil:

NOTE: Running other internet activities at the same time will of course skew results so it's best running this at a time where your internet usage is minimal and especially any torrents, etc. are not running...

I hope that if we have enough people giving results showing the same issues Exetel will push for their supplier to rectify the issues. :D

Thanks!

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: For anyone experiencing Speed problems..

Post by Dazzled » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:51 pm

I'm not sure I should let you post the same message so often, you aren't supposed to post multiple messages, but it can stay for the moment while I think more.... That's an admin comment rather than knocking your idea.

I've got some doubts about testmy.net. The server that was used for me when I tried it was in the USA, and I would prefer to use something quite close on the network - we aren't presumably testing the trans-Pacific cable, but perhaps you are...

It's actually a very very simple batch processing job. Use your system's scheduler to regularly call a script/batch file that: downloads from a nearby fast server,
discards the downloaded data, and
appends the downloader speed commentary to a file, ie date, time, and speed.

A comma or space separated file is ideal input to a charting application, so you can either use your script to clean it up or do it in a text editor. A couple of batch lines all up.

evansm

Re: For anyone experiencing Speed problems..

Post by evansm » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:06 pm

Dazzled wrote:I'm not sure I should let you post the same message so often, you aren't supposed to post multiple messages, but it can stay for the moment while I think more.... That's an admin comment rather than knocking your idea.

I've got some doubts about testmy.net. The server that was used for me when I tried it was in the USA, and I would prefer to use something quite close on the network - we aren't presumably testing the trans-Pacific cable, but perhaps you are...

It's actually a very very simple batch processing job. Use your systems scheduler to regularly call a script/batch file that: downloads from a nearby fast server,
discards the downloaded data, and
appends the downloader speed commentary to a file, ie date, time, and speed.

A comma or space separated file is ideal input to a charting application, so you can either use your script to clean it up or do it in a text editor. A couple of batch lines all up.
Thanks 'Dazzled' - I do understand the issues with potentially testing to an overseas location however in my case the issues with speeds directly correlate to the results so far...I've noticed when the speeds are averaging at less than around 300kbps from this site I have speed issues and timeouts.

I'd be happy to run a local test in a similar way if you can point me (and all other users) to a website which will allow automated testing without having to spend time scripting something.... We need to have a reliable standard method of testing to websites not hosted, cached, etc. within the Exetel, or Optus network so we can get an accurate result of actual speeds...