Ridiculously Slow ADSL 2+

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
Post Reply
Tahlay
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:54 pm
Location: Perth

Ridiculously Slow ADSL 2+

Post by Tahlay » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:43 pm

I have been a customer of Exetel for many many years (except for the last 6 months when I shared a house with someone with another provider).

Last week my connection went live at my new home and since then the speeds seem to be ridiculously slow. I have never in all the years had download speeds of less than 200 kbs continuously. Over the weekend also latency in games was showing at anything up to 6000ms making anything unplayable. I have just spent 1½ hours downloading a file that is only 235MB in size. I am less than 1km from the exchange and my router stats show:
Connection Speed - 16730kbps - down, 1013kbps - up
Line Attenuation - 25.0 db - down, 15.9 db - up
Noise Margin - 6.1 db - down, 7.5 db - up

Surely with these settings I should be seeing alot faster speeds but the connection is ridiculously show.

Speedtest.net:

Image

I have done the normal isolation test, changed adsl filters etc etc - no change. I am using a Netgear N300 DGN2200v4.

Please help as this is not what I paid for.

angelos
Exetel Staff
Posts: 1068
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:22 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Ridiculously Slow ADSL 2+

Post by angelos » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:25 pm

Tahlay wrote:I have been a customer of Exetel for many many years (except for the last 6 months when I shared a house with someone with another provider).

Last week my connection went live at my new home and since then the speeds seem to be ridiculously slow. I have never in all the years had download speeds of less than 200 kbs continuously. Over the weekend also latency in games was showing at anything up to 6000ms making anything unplayable. I have just spent 1½ hours downloading a file that is only 235MB in size. I am less than 1km from the exchange and my router stats show:
Connection Speed - 16730kbps - down, 1013kbps - up
Line Attenuation - 25.0 db - down, 15.9 db - up
Noise Margin - 6.1 db - down, 7.5 db - up

Surely with these settings I should be seeing alot faster speeds but the connection is ridiculously show.

Speedtest.net:

Image

I have done the normal isolation test, changed adsl filters etc etc - no change. I am using a Netgear N300 DGN2200v4.

Please help as this is not what I paid for.
Upon checking your service further I could not see the same issue you were facing but this seems like a throughput issue.

I have created a ticket for you (reference #8381836) and will send you a few tests to be performed on your end to your nominated email address so please get back to us with that information.

evansm
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:02 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Ridiculously Slow ADSL 2+

Post by evansm » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:40 pm

angelos wrote:
Tahlay wrote:I have been a customer of Exetel for many many years (except for the last 6 months when I shared a house with someone with another provider).

Last week my connection went live at my new home and since then the speeds seem to be ridiculously slow. I have never in all the years had download speeds of less than 200 kbs continuously. Over the weekend also latency in games was showing at anything up to 6000ms making anything unplayable. I have just spent 1½ hours downloading a file that is only 235MB in size. I am less than 1km from the exchange and my router stats show:
Connection Speed - 16730kbps - down, 1013kbps - up
Line Attenuation - 25.0 db - down, 15.9 db - up
Noise Margin - 6.1 db - down, 7.5 db - up

Surely with these settings I should be seeing alot faster speeds but the connection is ridiculously show.

Speedtest.net:

Image

I have done the normal isolation test, changed adsl filters etc etc - no change. I am using a Netgear N300 DGN2200v4.

Please help as this is not what I paid for.
Upon checking your service further I could not see the same issue you were facing but this seems like a throughput issue.

I have created a ticket for you (reference #8381836) and will send you a few tests to be performed on your end to your nominated email address so please get back to us with that information.
Hey...I've been suffering with slow speeds for over a year....Just thought I'd do a comparison on your results...

Image

I've been running near continuous tests for the past week on this site too:-

http://testmy.net/compID/106106466953

Exetel have advised it's being worked on but from late afternoon onwards each day there are problems....Still no solution in sight...

thejeg

Re: Ridiculously Slow ADSL 2+

Post by thejeg » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:04 am

evansm wrote:
angelos wrote:
Tahlay wrote:I have been a customer of Exetel for many many years (except for the last 6 months when I shared a house with someone with another provider).

Last week my connection went live at my new home and since then the speeds seem to be ridiculously slow. I have never in all the years had download speeds of less than 200 kbs continuously. Over the weekend also latency in games was showing at anything up to 6000ms making anything unplayable. I have just spent 1½ hours downloading a file that is only 235MB in size. I am less than 1km from the exchange and my router stats show:
Connection Speed - 16730kbps - down, 1013kbps - up
Line Attenuation - 25.0 db - down, 15.9 db - up
Noise Margin - 6.1 db - down, 7.5 db - up

Surely with these settings I should be seeing alot faster speeds but the connection is ridiculously show.

Speedtest.net:

Image

I have done the normal isolation test, changed adsl filters etc etc - no change. I am using a Netgear N300 DGN2200v4.

Please help as this is not what I paid for.
Upon checking your service further I could not see the same issue you were facing but this seems like a throughput issue.

I have created a ticket for you (reference #8381836) and will send you a few tests to be performed on your end to your nominated email address so please get back to us with that information.
Hey...I've been suffering with slow speeds for over a year....Just thought I'd do a comparison on your results...

Image

I've been running near continuous tests for the past week on this site too:-

http://testmy.net/compID/106106466953

Exetel have advised it's being worked on but from late afternoon onwards each day there are problems....Still no solution in sight...
Could you please provide speed test results obtained through http://speedtest.nsw.exetel.com.au/ as none of the other speed test results cannot be considered.

Tahlay
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:54 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Ridiculously Slow ADSL 2+

Post by Tahlay » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:40 pm

Sent reply with requested tests 24 hours ago and have not yet received a reply.

How long is this going to take?

ShaminG
Exetel Staff
Posts: 960
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Ridiculously Slow ADSL 2+

Post by ShaminG » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:13 pm

Tahlay wrote:Sent reply with requested tests 24 hours ago and have not yet received a reply.

How long is this going to take?
Thanks for replying us with test results. We will have this investigated further with our wholesale carrier. I will keep you updated with any progress.

Post Reply