Frequent losses in ADSL connection lasting upto 18 hours

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
Travis

Frequent losses in ADSL connection lasting upto 18 hours

Post by Travis » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:28 pm

Hi,

I've been experiencing frequent losses in ADSL connection a few weeks now. In every instance my phone line still works perfectly.

The general pattern appears to be:
Two or three losses of connection lasting a few minutes each and then another that lasts several hours (from 2 to 18 hours). I call up Exetel Support for help, go through the usual list of questions every time, they do a line reset and about an hour or two later the connection is restored (flaky at first, but then settles down).

The most recent instance was last night,
* Connection drops out completely at 7pm on Dec 21
* I call up Exetel Support at 9:30am today (Dec 22), they ask the usual questions and do a line reset
* I tell them not to lodge an incident with the provider yet as the connection might come back in an hour
* Sure enough at 10:15am it comes back up, a bit unstable at first but then settles down.

I've followed the advice in the thread "Before posting about drop out issues" and had no luck

My details:
*Connected to the Ormond exchange in Melbourne
*Only a single phone jack in house - the ADSL2+ filter/splitter is plugged into this and then the modem and cordless phone hang off the splitter
*The modem is a Billion 7800DXL
*In the middle of a long-running loss of connection I've tried the following to no avail,
> Performing an isolation test
> Using a different modem (Belkin N300)
> Using different cables

I'm hesitant to get an incident lodged with Telstra as it's mostly likely going to be back up before the technician arrives.

Any ideas? I'm getting so frustrated that I'm very close to switching to cable.

Thanks.

stevecJ
Forum Admin

Re: Frequent losses in ADSL connection lasting upto 18 hours

Post by stevecJ » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:00 pm

Travis wrote:Hi,

I've been experiencing frequent losses in ADSL connection a few weeks now. In every instance my phone line still works perfectly.

The general pattern appears to be:
Two or three losses of connection lasting a few minutes each and then another that lasts several hours (from 2 to 18 hours). I call up Exetel Support for help, go through the usual list of questions every time, they do a line reset and about an hour or two later the connection is restored (flaky at first, but then settles down).

The most recent instance was last night,
* Connection drops out completely at 7pm on Dec 21
* I call up Exetel Support at 9:30am today (Dec 22), they ask the usual questions and do a line reset
* I tell them not to lodge an incident with the provider yet as the connection might come back in an hour
* Sure enough at 10:15am it comes back up, a bit unstable at first but then settles down.

I've followed the advice in the thread "Before posting about drop out issues" and had no luck

My details:
*Connected to the Ormond exchange in Melbourne
*Only a single phone jack in house - the ADSL2+ filter/splitter is plugged into this and then the modem and cordless phone hang off the splitter
*The modem is a Billion 7800DXL
*In the middle of a long-running loss of connection I've tried the following to no avail,
> Performing an isolation test
> Using a different modem (Belkin N300)
> Using different cables

I'm hesitant to get an incident lodged with Telstra as it's mostly likely going to be back up before the technician arrives.

Any ideas? I'm getting so frustrated that I'm very close to switching to cable.

Thanks.
HI,

Since it appears to be an intermittent issue and since you have already done the basic trouble shooting, we are able to escalate the matter as an intermittent issue to the supplier and get an interference investigation done. However the incorrect call out fee term needs to be agreed prior escalating it to the supplier.

Please let us know if you need us to proceed.

Ticket ID: 8633315
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

Travis

Post by Travis » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:20 pm

Hi,

I'm happy for it to be escalated as an intermittent issue with the supplier.

What exactly do you mean by "incorrect call out fee term needs to be agreed"? As in, if the issue is within my boundary, it's my cost?

Thanks again.

stevecJ
Forum Admin

Post by stevecJ » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:31 pm

Travis wrote:Hi,

I'm happy for it to be escalated as an intermittent issue with the supplier.

What exactly do you mean by "incorrect call out fee term needs to be agreed"? As in, if the issue is within my boundary, it's my cost?

Thanks again.
Hi,

The incorrect call out fee only applies when there is no fault found in the supplier network and the service is proven at the network boundary point.

If you would like to proceed with the fault or need further clarifications, please contact Exetel Support on 0280301000/1300788141 and select option 2 with the above mentioned ticket number.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================