Speed dropped after plan change

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
Waughy

Speed dropped after plan change

Post by Waughy » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:12 am

Hi all,

I recently upgraded my ADSL2+ plan from 100Gb to 500Gb. I am on the Nelson Bay, NSW exchange, and am not aware of any issues that could be causing my problem. Since the rollover to the new monthly cycle a few days ago things have been terrible. Our internet in general is crawling, it's slower than last month when we were shaped. Sites are slow to load, including local sites like news.com.au. Some things time out, such as the iTunes store on my Mac, and I'm having connection issues with my Xbox where it can't get a connection due to timing out.
The Exetel speed test page shows a download speed around the 895kbps mark. Speedtest.net, using the recommended sever gets the following:

My line sync is around 10.2Mb/s looking at my modem stats and when things were good (before being shaped last month) my speed test results were great, for instance:

No changes have been made equipment wise, I replaced the line filters last November. There have been no storms or power issues that could have damaged any of my equipment.

If someone can look into this that would be great. I can supply any further info as needed.

Cheers.

saadbafik
Exetel Staff

Re: Speed dropped after plan change

Post by saadbafik » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:26 pm

Hi ,

It appears that your speeds have been shaped incorrectly. Shaping has been removed right now, Please reboot you modem and test your speeds again.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Your reference : 8710815

Regards,
Saad Bafik

Waughy

Post by Waughy » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:05 pm

Hi,

Thanks heaps for looking into this issue and having it resolved quickly. A huge increase in speed, back to the speeds I'm used to seeing. One thing I noticed, the upload speed didn't change, is it about what it normally should be? I've never paid much attention to it before, but see it hasn't changed since the shaping was removed.

New results:

and for comparison from another test site:

[`[*Test Results from <a href="http://www.ozspeedtest.com/bandwidth-te ... 262012">Oz Broadband Speed Test</a>*]`]
[(----------------------------------
Test run on [*17/01/2015*] @ [*06:42 PM*])]

[(Mirror: [*Exetel*]
Data: [*10 MB*]

Test Time: [*10 secs*])]

[(Your line speed is [*8.58 Mbps*] (8579 kbps).
Your download speed is [*1.05 MB/s*] (1072 KB/s). )]

Much better performance.

Reagrds,

Brendan.

Kaushalya
Exetel Staff

Post by Kaushalya » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:20 pm

One thing I noticed, the upload speed didn't change, is it about what it normally should be?
Hi Brendan,

It is really good to hear that the speeds are improved :)

Above upload speed is acceptable according to your plan.

Regards,
Kaushalya

Waughy

Post by Waughy » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:49 pm

Kaushalya wrote:
One thing I noticed, the upload speed didn't change, is it about what it normally should be?
Hi Brendan,

It is really good to hear that the speeds are improved :)

Above upload speed is acceptable according to your plan.

Regards,
Kaushalya

Thanks. I don't upload much, just wanted see if it was right. As long as it's good enough for online gaming on Xbox.

Waughy

Post by Waughy » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:50 pm

Just touching on this again. I have just purchased a new Asus DSL-AC68U modem/router to replace my previous 2 part modem and router setup. The stats after setting it up are:

DSL Firmware Version 1.0.2.2
DSL Driver Version FwVer:5.5.1.127_A_A60901 HwVer:T14.F7_0.1
DSL Link Status
up
DSL Uptime
0 days 0 hours 33 minutes 3 seconds

DSL modulation
ITU G.992.5(ADSL2PLUS)

Annex mode
ANNEX_A

SNR Down
4.9 dB

SNR Up
7.1 dB

Line Attenuation Down
44.4 dB

Line Attenuation Up
26.3 dB

Path Mode
Interleaved

Data Rate Down
9539 kbps

Data Rate Up
1014 kbps

MAX Rate Down

MAX Rate Up

POWER Down
19.0 dbm

POWER Up
11.3 dbm

CRC Down

CRC Up

DSL modulation Auto
Annex mode A\I\J\L\M
Dynamic Line Adjustment (ADSL) Enabled
Stability Adjustment (ADSL) Disabled
Rx AGC GAIN Adjustment (ADSL) High Performance

Is there anything that needs to be changed that might help with my connection? Speedtest is showing around 6Mbps at best, and I know I've had better speeds in the past, up around 10Mbps at one stage. Cable length to the exchange is supposedly around 2.5kms, from what I've seen I could be seeing speeds up around 12Mbps, although I know many factors will prevent that from ever being a reality. It's just that I've had better performance than what I'm getting now. Even with my previous setup before the Asus, after the fix a few posts above where I was getting 8Mbps, it did drop back down so I was seeing 6Mbps prior to getting the new modem/router.
I recently replaced my filters, and the 3 phone points in the house are all filtered. One thing I'm going to try is to unplug the cordless phone that is running off the filter that the modem is also connected to as that may be having an effect it seems.
The speed results have been both on my mac which is wired to the modem, and wirelessly through my iPhone using the speedtest app. I'm just looking for anything I might have overlooked that might help me improve my net speed, mainly as a benefit for online gaming.

I'd appreciate any tips or feedback on this. Maybe it's the best my ADSL 2+ connection is going to give.

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:36 pm

Waughy wrote:SNR Down
4.9 dB
This may be a little bit low but I have run a test which shows me these details and it appears as through your SNR values are beyond 7dB.

The sync rate appeared to be at around 7.6M so I have performed a reset on the service from the exchange. Try restarting your modem and check if the issue persists.

But these speeds seem to be within specifications for the distance from the exchange.

Waughy

Post by Waughy » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:54 pm

angelos wrote:
Waughy wrote:SNR Down
4.9 dB
This may be a little bit low but I have run a test which shows me these details and it appears as through your SNR values are beyond 7dB.

The sync rate appeared to be at around 7.6M so I have performed a reset on the service from the exchange. Try restarting your modem and check if the issue persists.

But these speeds seem to be within specifications for the distance from the exchange.
Hi Angelos,

I have restarted the modem and results are pretty much the same. 6.25 down, 0.6 up, and 28ms ping. I did look at my modem stats again and can see the SNR is set to -4 with Dynamic Line Adjustment enabled. Changing Rx AGC Gain Adjustment to stability made no difference either. The sync rate previously was up around 10, so it's dropped a decent amount. I've unplugged the cordless phone and carried out another reboot, it's dropped off a bit but we are at the time of the evening where things tend to slow down due to what must be congestion. I'll have another look later tonight if I get a chance. The stats I posted previously were from when the modem was first set up. Looking again they are now:

DSL Firmware Version 1.0.2.2
DSL Driver Version FwVer:5.5.1.127_A_A60901 HwVer:T14.F7_0.1
DSL Link Status
up
DSL Uptime
0 days 0 hours 37 minutes 52 seconds
DSL modulation
ITU G.992.5(ADSL2PLUS)
Annex mode
ANNEX_A
SNR Down
9.4 dB
SNR Up
7.2 dB
Line Attenuation Down
43.9 dB
Line Attenuation Up
26.4 dB
Path Mode
Interleaved
Data Rate Down
7383 kbps
Data Rate Up
1017 kbps
MAX Rate Down
MAX Rate Up
POWER Down
19.1 dbm
POWER Up
11.3 dbm
CRC Down
CRC Up

I'm also getting some assistance on another forum from someone with good knowledge of this modem modem, I'll see what they think of the situation.

Thanks for your help.

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Post by ShaminG » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:51 pm

Waughy wrote:I've unplugged the cordless phone and carried out another reboot, it's dropped off a bit but we are at the time of the evening where things tend to slow down due to what must be congestion.
Any bandwidth issues (congestion in the exchange) will not affect the sync rate. Btw, please check if you having clear dial tone with PSTN. Due to interference, it's possible service to drop out or to sync rate to go down.

Waughy

Post by Waughy » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:17 am

ShaminG wrote:
Waughy wrote:I've unplugged the cordless phone and carried out another reboot, it's dropped off a bit but we are at the time of the evening where things tend to slow down due to what must be congestion.
Any bandwidth issues (congestion in the exchange) will not affect the sync rate. Btw, please check if you having clear dial tone with PSTN. Due to interference, it's possible service to drop out or to sync rate to go down.
Sorry for the late reply, I have been monitoring the performance over the last few days to see how it goes. As for the phone, we haven't noticed any static when using the phone, the line has always been clear. I have noticed the net does slow down a bit when it rains, so I'm guessing water is getting in somewhere affecting things at these times.

On Friday night I noticed I had lost my internet connection, although my modem was still showing a DSL connection. When I checked my modem stats they were:

SNR Down
3.2 dB
SNR Up
7.1 dB
Line Attenuation Down
44.1 dB
Line Attenuation Up
26.4 dB
Path Mode
Interleaved
Data Rate Down
9519 kbps
Data Rate Up
1017 kbps
MAX Rate Down
MAX Rate Up
POWER Down
18.8 dbm
POWER Up
11.3 dbm
CRC Down
CRC Up

Dynamic line adjustment and stability adjustment are disabled, AGC gain adjustment was set to default, which I changed to stability. Carried out a reboot and stats were then showing:

SNR Down
6.0 dB
SNR Up
6.0 dB
Line Attenuation Down
44.1 dB
Line Attenuation Up
26.2 dB
Path Mode
Interleaved
Data Rate Down
9438 kbps
Data Rate Up
1011 kbps
MAX Rate Down
MAX Rate Up
POWER Down
19.1 dbm
POWER Up
11.3 dbm
CRC Down
CRC Up

That was around 10pm Friday night when that was done, 12 hours later my SNR was back to 3.9, and my sync rate stayed around 9400. Performance seems to be fairly decent, although when I do a speed test it's now consistently 2-3 Mbps down on where it was when I first moved to my current residence, which was around 8Mbps.

The Asus modem does allow me to tweak the SNR, so I may look at adding a few dB to get it up from the 3.9 where it seems to be sitting constantly, even after a reboot that gets it up to 6. I'll add 2 and see if performance picks up. I'm looking to improve streaming and gaming experiences.
A shame we won't be seeing the NBN any time soon.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:35 pm

Increasing the noise margin will not speed up the service. It leaves fewer bits available to carry a signal. Just about any modem can have the margin tweaked - I've posted how-tos before. 44 dB line attenuation is the main worry. You can retrieve signal to noise for each frequency bin from the telnet interface.

Waughy

Post by Waughy » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:18 pm

Dazzled wrote:Increasing the noise margin will not speed up the service. It leaves fewer bits available to carry a signal. Just about any modem can have the margin tweaked - I've posted how-tos before. 44 dB line attenuation is the main worry. You can retrieve signal to noise for each frequency bin from the telnet interface.
Yeah the attenuation isn't too great. I'll have to go over my setup again and redo my isolation testing.
For info, when I first moved to this address and using a Billion 7800n I was seeing:

DMT Status No Defect
Operational Mode ADSL2+
Upstream 1016
Downstream 11254
SNR Margin(Upstream) 5.9
SNR Margin(Downstream) 3.2
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 25.1
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 42.5

Actually attenuation isn't much different, but my speeds were around 9-10Mbps going by speedtest.net, which I'm aware is just a guideline, but it was showing those figures consistently, compared to 5-6 now.
I'm hoping it's not the Asus modem I have now, which uses an MT chipset, over the Broadcom chip in the Billions. I did check things out first and the Asus was recommended to me.
I'll reply when I've gone through my setup, see if anything makes any difference.

shakows

Post by shakows » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:27 pm

That downsteam SNR is very bad
Anything less then 6 is going to be troublesome

Can you adjust the DSL training in your modem?

If not get a stability profile set and see how that goes

Waughy

Post by Waughy » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:43 pm

shakows wrote:That downsteam SNR is very bad
Anything less then 6 is going to be troublesome

Can you adjust the DSL training in your modem?

If not get a stability profile set and see how that goes

With a reboot the modem starts off with an SNR of 6, but drops over time. It's an Asus DSL-AC68U, and does have Dynamic Line and Stability adjustments, I can set the Stability to anything from +10 to -10, currently it's disabled, as is the Dynamic line adjustment, which adjusts the SNR automatically, but I was still sitting around 3 with it enabled.

Edit:

Unplugged phone lead from filter and connected directly to the wall socket, bypassing filter and cordless phone. Modem reboot and fresh stats are:
SNR Down
6.0 dB
SNR Up
7.2 dB
Line Attenuation Down
44.1 dB
Line Attenuation Up
26.5 dB
Path Mode
Interleaved
Data Rate Down
9481 kbps
Data Rate Up
1021 kbps
MAX Rate Down
MAX Rate Up
POWER Down
19.1 dbm
POWER Up
11.3 dbm
CRC Down
CRC Up

Speedtest prior was 6.3Mbps down, 0.63 up with a 31ms ping. After was 7.99 down, 0.5 up and 27ms ping.

I'll see how it goes overnight, could be my filter, which is only a few months old. I was using a power board for surge protection which is now bypassed as well, could be something I guess.

shakows

Post by shakows » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:27 pm

It shouldnt change unless it rains or someother factors come into it like a faulty filter or unfiltered back to base alarm or something

See how it goes isolated

Maybe also see if you can try a setting that pushes the SNR to around 9
You will loose some speed but it worth trying

The DSL provider should be able to apply a stability profile as well

But I would suggest if its changing then maybe your filter or something else on the line is causing problems