Speeds being limited?

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
Mussels

Speeds being limited?

Post by Mussels » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:36 pm

My sync speeds are fairly decent at 9.5-10Mb, but in reality i seem to be stuck at 6Mb, at the absolute best i sit at exactly 0.99MB/s throughput - 8Mb.

Is my connection being limited/throttled down to 8Mb somehow?

edit: should note i'm a technically advanced user, this is with just one PC on the network with a bandwidth meter app running to make sure nothing else is downloading.

richardk

Re: Speeds being limited?

Post by richardk » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:40 pm

Your speeds are not being limited by EXETEL.
The most you will be able to get out of your connection is 85% - 95% due to packet overheads.

Mussels

Post by Mussels » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:51 pm

richardk wrote:Your speeds are not being limited by EXETEL.
The most you will be able to get out of your connection is 85% - 95% due to packet overheads.
being limited to exactly 1MB/s (8Mb) seems a bit unlikely. my sync speeds can change, but that speed cap does not.

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Post by ShaminG » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:56 pm

Mussels wrote:being limited to exactly 1MB/s (8Mb) seems a bit unlikely. my sync speeds can change, but that speed cap does not.
I had a look into DSLAM stats and your service is set on highest available profile (24/1). Being the distance around 2.5 Km, the sync rate is pretty good. With the current sync rate, you getting around 8 Mbps transfer confirms no issues at network level as well. Confirming no speed restriction and as Richard mentioned it's the protocol overhead.

Mussels

Post by Mussels » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:15 pm

ShaminG wrote:
Mussels wrote:being limited to exactly 1MB/s (8Mb) seems a bit unlikely. my sync speeds can change, but that speed cap does not.
I had a look into DSLAM stats and your service is set on highest available profile (24/1). Being the distance around 2.5 Km, the sync rate is pretty good. With the current sync rate, you getting around 8 Mbps transfer confirms no issues at network level as well. Confirming no speed restriction and as Richard mentioned it's the protocol overhead.
So as unlikely as it seems a perfect 1MB/s is the limit. thanks for that.