Issues with Waverley exchange, Sydney?

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
angelos
Exetel Staff

Re: Issues with Waverley exchange, Sydney?

Post by angelos » Mon May 18, 2015 4:56 pm

gstark wrote:Well, here we are.

Nearly three weeks on, and still no phone line. Still no internet.

According to your text messages, the fault should be resolved by 7pm today. Should we start a sweep on what time (within the next 170 minutes) this will occur? :)

In all seriousness, my understanding is that this is an outage which has affected over 350 services in the Bondi area, but the fact that it's taking Telstra this long to fix these, quite frankly, is very disappointing.

I have heard that Foxtel and BigPond services have been given priority over phone services, and if that is ture, it's really quite a sickening situation.
Apologies, I just looked for an update and our Supplier confirms that the issue is still ongoing and will not be able to provide any further updates till past 7PM.

We will have to wait until this time has passed and see how it goes.
angelos wrote:We have however received the confirmation that your area is affected but the 'estimated' time frame provided is 18/05. This may be completed before the date, on the date or may be extended.
As I advised, there is always the possibility of this time frame extending, depending on the complexity of the job.

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Mon May 18, 2015 5:33 pm

Just received an update that the time frame has been extended till 22/05/2015.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

gstark

Post by gstark » Mon May 18, 2015 7:14 pm

angelos wrote:Just received an update that the time frame has been extended till 22/05/2015.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.
Thank you. But somebody needs to give your upstream supplier a good swift kick in the backside. The timeframe quoted is a joke.

A very bad, a very sad, and a not at all funny joke.

gstark

Post by gstark » Fri May 22, 2015 7:03 am

And still this outage continues.

Three and a half weeks, and no sign whatsoever of any resolution

I have lost all confidence in the ability - what little that might exist - of Telstra in this matter. I'm surprised that their staff can even manage to get out of bed in the morning. Truth be told, they probably can't, and therein lies the heart of this issue.

And I must say that I'm surprised and a tad disappointed that this forum appears to be better monitored than the help desk ticket system, where two updates of mine have been made, but with no apparent response.

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Fri May 22, 2015 8:53 am

gstark wrote:And still this outage continues.

Three and a half weeks, and no sign whatsoever of any resolution

I have lost all confidence in the ability - what little that might exist - of Telstra in this matter. I'm surprised that their staff can even manage to get out of bed in the morning. Truth be told, they probably can't, and therein lies the heart of this issue.

And I must say that I'm surprised and a tad disappointed that this forum appears to be better monitored than the help desk ticket system, where two updates of mine have been made, but with no apparent response.
Hopefully this issue should be resolved by tonight.

gstark

Post by gstark » Fri May 22, 2015 1:18 pm

angelos wrote:Hopefully this issue should be resolved by tonight.
That was the hope for last Monday night. Nothing happened.

Forgive me for not holding my breath.

Forgive me for being more than just a little upset.

gstark

Post by gstark » Fri May 22, 2015 7:48 pm

gstark wrote:
angelos wrote:Hopefully this issue should be resolved by tonight.
That was the hope for last Monday night. Nothing happened.

Forgive me for not holding my breath.

Forgive me for being more than just a little upset.
Not holding my breath was a good option. Still no fix. Still no phone. Still no sign of life nor customer service from Telstra wholesale

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Post by ShaminG » Fri May 22, 2015 9:56 pm

gstark wrote: Not holding my breath was a good option. Still no fix. Still no phone. Still no sign of life nor customer service from Telstra wholesale
I looked into latest updates with our wholesaler and unfortunately the time frame has extended till 29th May. :(

gstark

Post by gstark » Sat May 23, 2015 10:24 am

ShaminG wrote:
gstark wrote: Not holding my breath was a good option. Still no fix. Still no phone. Still no sign of life nor customer service from Telstra wholesale
I looked into latest updates with our wholesaler and unfortunately the time frame has extended till 29th May. :(
You have got to be kidding.

THEY AVE GOT TO BE KIDDING

That is in excess of a month. Which part of that constitutes an acceptable level of service? Or to be more accurate, non-service?

Why is Exetel senior management not talking to Telstra about this totally untenable situation? Given that Telstra have been busy fixing services like BigPond and Foxtel cable in preference to essential phone services, somebody needs to be urgently talking at senior management levels and telling Telstra to get their priorities in order. Saying that there's nothing you can do is no longer an option.

saadbafik
Exetel Staff

Post by saadbafik » Sat May 23, 2015 2:49 pm

Hi,

Kindly note that our management and our suppliers management are aware of the issue. We will closely monitor and update you if there's an earlier date

Sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Regards,
Saad Bafik

gstark

Post by gstark » Sat May 23, 2015 3:19 pm

saadbafik wrote:Kindly note that our management and our suppliers management are aware of the issue. We will closely monitor and update you if there's an earlier date
With all due respect, "being aware" is no longer the issue.

Your suppliers are supposed to be professional people, and working on this major outage (over 350 phones out of service) in a professional manner. Based upon what we're seeing, and their continual and repeated failed projections for a fix ETA, professional is the one word that I would never use in describing their inability to fix this problem.

Again, professionals understand the problems; this is not rocket science, but just a POTS that's not working. How is it that, after nearly four weeks, the so-called professional engineers at Telstra not only cannot fix this outage, but they're not even able to accurately predict the timeframe for the fix? If Telstra have not yet been asked this question, I would suggest that perhaps they need to.

And an answer needs to be given.

"being aware" would be fine after one week. We are now well into the fourth week of this outage, and rather than "being aware", Telstra's (mis-)management now need to be taking a very proactive approach to ensuring that the issue is resolved in the shortest timeframe possible.

And with respect, I think that somebody from Exetel needs to be kicking an account manager at Telstra in the backside - probable three times daily - in order to ensure that this matter is now promptly resolved.

I suggest that the time for sitting on one's hands has well and truly passed.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Sat May 23, 2015 4:23 pm

gstark wrote:
ShaminG wrote:
You have got to be kidding.

THEY AVE GOT TO BE KIDDING

That is in excess of a month. Which part of that constitutes an acceptable level of service? Or to be more accurate, non-service?

Why is Exetel senior management not talking to Telstra about this totally untenable situation? Given that Telstra have been busy fixing services like BigPond and Foxtel cable in preference to essential phone services, somebody needs to be urgently talking at senior management levels and telling Telstra to get their priorities in order. Saying that there's nothing you can do is no longer an option.
Hi Gary,

Exetel talks to senior management at Telstra pretty much every single day.

Telstra Operations does not prioritize the resolution of retail services over wholesale, i'm sure there are plenty of Telstra retail customers in the same boat as you, and this will be fixed as quickly as possible.

James

gstark

Post by gstark » Sun May 31, 2015 9:59 am

shoner wrote:hi gstark,

We can confirm that there are no outage with the dslam that you are connected. In the past there was an outage on 13 Apr 2015 for a few hours.
This non-existent issue has been finally finally resolved. That occurred on Wednesday afternoon. With respect to this apparently non-existent outage at the Waverley Exchange - one that I now know to have affected approximately 1700 services - here's a statement I've received from Telstra on May 27.
A number of customers in Bondi were without fixed line services following water damage to a foreign battery at the Waverley Exchange in late April.

Our technicians attended the Exchange and determined that 65 metres of cable needed to be replaced.

Repair work on the damage cable commenced at the manhole at 197 Birrell St Waverley on 30 April as our team undertook hauling and jointing work to replace the cable.

Service was fully restored at 4.30pm today.

We apologise to our customers for the loss of service and assure them we did everything possible to restore services as quickly as possible.
The use of the term "foreign battery" is, I understand, a response code that might be seen when the cable is tested. It may, or it may not, refer to a battery as we might understand the word.

I'm personally aware of at least a half dozen other people in Bondi who were directly affected by this outage, which obviously didn't happen. And there was no mention of it on Telstra's own faults status page. Ever.

Clearly, Telstra's left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, and I'm still trying to ascertain more in that realm.

And clearly, when Telstra is in such disarray, it must make things very difficult for wholesale customers such as Exetel, who have little choice but to rely upon such misinformation, which in turn makes our lives much less pleasant than they ought to be.

aroshak
Exetel Staff

Post by aroshak » Sun May 31, 2015 12:27 pm

gstark wrote:
shoner wrote:hi gstark,

We can confirm that there are no outage with the dslam that you are connected. In the past there was an outage on 13 Apr 2015 for a few hours.
This non-existent issue has been finally finally resolved. That occurred on Wednesday afternoon. With respect to this apparently non-existent outage at the Waverley Exchange - one that I now know to have affected approximately 1700 services - here's a statement I've received from Telstra on May 27.
A number of customers in Bondi were without fixed line services following water damage to a foreign battery at the Waverley Exchange in late April.

Our technicians attended the Exchange and determined that 65 metres of cable needed to be replaced.

Repair work on the damage cable commenced at the manhole at 197 Birrell St Waverley on 30 April as our team undertook hauling and jointing work to replace the cable.

Service was fully restored at 4.30pm today.

We apologise to our customers for the loss of service and assure them we did everything possible to restore services as quickly as possible.
The use of the term "foreign battery" is, I understand, a response code that might be seen when the cable is tested. It may, or it may not, refer to a battery as we might understand the word.

I'm personally aware of at least a half dozen other people in Bondi who were directly affected by this outage, which obviously didn't happen. And there was no mention of it on Telstra's own faults status page. Ever.

Clearly, Telstra's left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, and I'm still trying to ascertain more in that realm.

And clearly, when Telstra is in such disarray, it must make things very difficult for wholesale customers such as Exetel, who have little choice but to rely upon such misinformation, which in turn makes our lives much less pleasant than they ought to be.

HI Gray,

We are extremely sorry about the inconvenience caused to you by this. Our supplier advises service has restored on 29/05/15, please check the service and confirm.

Arosha

gstark

Post by gstark » Sun May 31, 2015 3:05 pm

aroshak wrote:HI Gray,
Who's "Gray" ?? :)

Oh wait. That would be me. My beard. What's left of my hair. :lol:
Our supplier advises service has restored on 29/05/15
gstark wrote:This non-existent issue has been finally finally resolved. That occurred on Wednesday afternoon.
And if you look at the support ticket, you will observe that I told you this on Thursday morning. :)

Thanks.