Random pause in data flow

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
Les S

Random pause in data flow

Post by Les S » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:19 am

I have been with Exetel for many years, the few issues here and there have been solved well enough, I have noticed over the past 6 months that the quality of service (reliability) has dropped.

So for the problem I currently have, at random times of the day, seems to be more likely to happen in the morning or after about 2000h I get pauses in data flow, will receive data fine then it will just stop for 30sec maybe a a min then go back to being fine.
I spoke to a service rep who said for me to change modem, done that and still the same, I think over the last 6 month I have changed modem about 4 times. I could understand if the service was just slow, but for it to be smooth and fast with these pauses is just frustrating.

Any ideas?

I hope I managed to explain my self well enough.

Edit* Forgot to mention Blue Mountains Springwood exchange ADSL1

Kumudh
Exetel Staff

Re: Random pause in data flow

Post by Kumudh » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:45 pm

Les S wrote:I have been with Exetel for many years, the few issues here and there have been solved well enough, I have noticed over the past 6 months that the quality of service (reliability) has dropped.

So for the problem I currently have, at random times of the day, seems to be more likely to happen in the morning or after about 2000h I get pauses in data flow, will receive data fine then it will just stop for 30sec maybe a a min then go back to being fine.
I spoke to a service rep who said for me to change modem, done that and still the same, I think over the last 6 month I have changed modem about 4 times. I could understand if the service was just slow, but for it to be smooth and fast with these pauses is just frustrating.

Any ideas?

I hope I managed to explain my self well enough.

Edit* Forgot to mention Blue Mountains Springwood exchange ADSL1

Hi Les S,

An email has been sent to you. Please go through it and reply back. Your ticket number for this case is 9161972.

Cheers.

Les S

Post by Les S » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:15 pm

Thanks, looking at the Email now.

Les S

Post by Les S » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:47 pm

We have run tests and see no issue on our end. The signal to noise ratio seems to be a bit low.

Hence please go through troubleshooting steps below;
- Please check if you have a clear dial tone on your home phone and are able make & receive calls clearly.
- Make and model of the ADSL modem Currently in use.
- Is an ADSL 2 + Filter/splitter installed? If yes please test the service without it with your modem connected directly to the phone
outlet.
- Have you got Foxtel or a Back to Base alarm installed? If yes please test the service without it.
- Have you tried factory resetting your modem? (You could follow this URL for any assistance, http://exewiki.exetel.com.au/index.php? ... tup_Guides)
- Have you tried an alternative modem? If you haven't please do so and note the make and model of it
Dial tone clear
Modem was tp-ling td-8840t changed it to a brand new netgear d3600 for testing, the tp-link was only maybe 6 weeks old or so.
No Filter/spliter, only device on the line, same setup for many years
No Foxtel or alarm on the line
New modem only changes were to provide it with Exetel service settings
As stated earlier, new modem as of a day ago for testing, same issue.

My distance from the exchange has not changed since I started with Exetel many years ago, but yes I am a good distance from it, I would expect that that would generally mean it would be a slower connection not a random connection at certain times of day. But I could be wrong.

Code: Select all

ADSL Link		Downstream		Upstream	
Link Rate		6296 kbps		886 kbps	
Line Attenuation		49.7 dB		29.9 dB	
Noise Margin		3.7 dB		7.8 dB

stevecJ
Exetel Staff

Post by stevecJ » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:23 pm

Les S wrote:
We have run tests and see no issue on our end. The signal to noise ratio seems to be a bit low.

- Please check if you have a clear dial tone on your home phone and are able make & receive calls clearly.
- Is an ADSL 2 + Filter/splitter installed? If yes please test the service without it with your modem connected directly to the phone
outlet.
- Have you got Foxtel or a Back to Base alarm installed? If yes please test the service without it.
- Have you tried factory resetting your modem? (You could follow this URL for any assistance, http://exewiki.exetel.com.au/index.php? ... tup_Guides)
- Have you tried an alternative modem? If you haven't please do so and note the make and model of it
Dial tone clear
Modem was tp-ling td-8840t changed it to a brand new netgear d3600 for testing, the tp-link was only maybe 6 weeks old or so.
No Filter/spliter, only device on the line, same setup for many years
No Foxtel or alarm on the line
New modem only changes were to provide it with Exetel service settings
As stated earlier, new modem as of a day ago for testing, same issue.

My distance from the exchange has not changed since I started with Exetel many years ago, but yes I am a good distance from it, I would expect that that would generally mean it would be a slower connection not a random connection at certain times of day. But I could be wrong.

ADSL Link		Downstream		Upstream	
Link Rate		6296 kbps		886 kbps	
Line Attenuation		49.7 dB		29.9 dB	
Noise Margin		3.7 dB		7.8 dB
Hi,

I have updated these details on the ticket. However could you please reply the email with a ping test result as well as the agreement for the incorrect call out fee, so that we could get this escalated to the supplier.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

Les S

Post by Les S » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:37 pm

Ok I may be blind or something here, but I cant see any agreement to reply with and who would you like me to ping?
All emails received are in the code box.
I don't remember sending any email to start any of this off, so i am unsure why the first email i got started with "Exetel has received your email" etc

Maybe I am stupid or something?

Exetel Abuse Response Team <abuse@exetel.com.au>

12:27 PM (3 hours ago)

to me
Exetel has received your email and will process it in due course.

Email reporting abuse from an Exetel IP address will be investigated as soon as possible, usually well within 24 hours.

Email reporting copyright infringement from an Exetel IP address will be processed within 48 hours.

Exetel is not able to divulge any information to you about Exetel customers without a warrant from an Australian Law Enforcement Agency.  We will forward your complaint to the holder of the IP address indicated and request they contact you directly or take appropriate action.

If you have an emergency Denial of Service attack affecting your Production Network, please email noc@exetel.com.au and your email will be acted on as soon as possible.

For further information:

The Exetel AUP is available here:  http://www.exetel.com.au/a_acceptable_use.htm

The Exetel policy on spam is here:  http://www.exetel.com.au/c_spam_faq.htm

Information Exetel take to prevent Copyright Infringement is here:  http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=13031
Exetel Residential Technical Support

to me
Dear Customer,

This email is to inform you that we have successfully tended to your service issue/query and your ticket will now be closed.

We trust that you were happy with how we served you on this issue. However, in our continuous efforts to improve the quality of our services, we welcome your feedback and would appreciate a moment of your time here: https://www.exetel.com.au/survey/res_support_survey.php?id=9161972

Exetel Technical Support
Exetel Pty Ltd

Exetel has exercised care to avoid errors in the information contained in this Email but does not warrant that the information is error or omission free.  The information (including any pricing information) contained in this Email is subject to change. This Email is not a quotation or proposal and is not intended to be legally binding on Exetel.  No contractual obligations arise until you and Exetel complete a formal written contract or formal variation to your existing contract.  Any pricing contained in this Email is inclusive of GST unless otherwise stated.

PRIVACY POLICY: Exetel respects your privacy, and we will only reveal, discuss, or transact with the owner of the service(s) via e-mail or telephone once we are satisfied we have identified the person who is seeking information.  If for any reason any other person(s) wishes to enquire on a service that they are not the owner of, we will not discuss any matters with them.  Exetel's Privacy policy is not negotiable under any circumstances, except for urgent or vital situations as described in the relevant Federal legislation (Privacy Act).

DISCLAIMER: This email message and accompanying data may contain information that is confidential and subject to privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message or data is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify us immediately and delete all material pertaining to this e-mail.

12:43 PM (2 hours ago)

to me
Dear Leslie,

outlet.
- Have you tried factory resetting your modem? (You could follow this URL for any assistance, http://exewiki.exetel.com.au/index.php?title=Category:ADSL_Modem_Setup_Guides)
- Have you tried an alternative modem? If you haven't please do so and note the make and model of it.

If the issue persists in order to investigate your reported fault further, our wholesale supplier’s infrastructure will need to be checked. This requires booking a suitable appointment time during normal business hours for the technician to attend your premises. A field technician may commence their investigation of the issue/fault at the Exchange and up to the Network Boundary Point at your premises. A Network Boundary Point is the first telephone wall socket in a Single Dwelling (Stand Alone House) or the A side of the Main Distribution Frame (MDF) in a Multi Dwelling (unit/apartment, flat, office, etc.) In the event that the technician investigates and confirms the issue is on your side of the Network Boundary Point or is related to faulty Customer Premise Equipment (CPE), such as your PC, software, internal wiring, own modem, router, filters, house alarms, etc. an Incorrect Call Out Fee of $220.00 Inc GST will be charged to you by Exetel.

Please confirm if you agree to this term.

Regards,

Kumudh Pathirana
Level 1 Senior Network Engineer
Exetel Technical Support
Exetel Pty Ltd

Hey, we like to ‘Get Things Done’ but sometimes little things can go astray. Like emails. This email may contain confidential information. If you received it accidentally please let the sender know and delete it. No contractual obligations for pricing or any services will arise until we sign a formal written contract or formal variation to your existing contract.

> https://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=284&t=42119&sid=efd98924d0b65a848c96f9a7f4eea94a&p=315011#p315011
>
>
>
> Random pause in data flow
>
> Unread postby Les S on Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:19 am
> I have been with Exetel for many years, the few issues here and there have been solved well enough, I have noticed over the past 6 months that the quality of service (reliability) has dropped.
>
> So for the problem I currently have, at random times of the day, seems to be more likely to happen in the morning or after about 2000h I get pauses in data flow, will receive data fine then it will just stop for 30sec maybe a a min then go back to being fine.
> I spoke to a service rep who said for me to change modem, done that and still the same, I think over the last 6 month I have changed modem about 4 times. I could understand if the service was just slow, but for it to be smooth and fast with these pauses is just frustrating.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> I hope I managed to explain my self well enough.
>
> Edit* Forgot to mention Blue Mountains Springwood exchange ADSL1

stevecJ
Exetel Staff

Post by stevecJ » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:26 pm

Les S wrote:Ok I may be blind or something here, but I cant see any agreement to reply with and who would you like me to ping?
All emails received are in the code box.
I don't remember sending any email to start any of this off, so i am unsure why the first email i got started with "Exetel has received your email" etc

Maybe I am stupid or something?

Exetel Abuse Response Team <abuse@exetel.com.au>

to me
Exetel has received your email and will process it in due course.

Email reporting abuse from an Exetel IP address will be investigated as soon as possible, usually well within 24 hours.

Email reporting copyright infringement from an Exetel IP address will be processed within 48 hours.

Exetel is not able to divulge any information to you about Exetel customers without a warrant from an Australian Law Enforcement Agency.  We will forward your complaint to the holder of the IP address indicated and request they contact you directly or take appropriate action.

If you have an emergency Denial of Service attack affecting your Production Network, please email noc@exetel.com.au and your email will be acted on as soon as possible.

For further information:

The Exetel AUP is available here:  http://www.exetel.com.au/a_acceptable_use.htm

The Exetel policy on spam is here:  http://www.exetel.com.au/c_spam_faq.htm

Information Exetel take to prevent Copyright Infringement is here:  http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=13031

to me
Dear Customer,

This email is to inform you that we have successfully tended to your service issue/query and your ticket will now be closed.

We trust that you were happy with how we served you on this issue. However, in our continuous efforts to improve the quality of our services, we welcome your feedback and would appreciate a moment of your time here: https://www.exetel.com.au/survey/res_support_survey.php?id=9161972

Exetel Technical Support
Exetel Pty Ltd

Exetel has exercised care to avoid errors in the information contained in this Email but does not warrant that the information is error or omission free.  The information (including any pricing information) contained in this Email is subject to change. This Email is not a quotation or proposal and is not intended to be legally binding on Exetel.  No contractual obligations arise until you and Exetel complete a formal written contract or formal variation to your existing contract.  Any pricing contained in this Email is inclusive of GST unless otherwise stated.

PRIVACY POLICY: Exetel respects your privacy, and we will only reveal, discuss, or transact with the owner of the service(s) via e-mail or telephone once we are satisfied we have identified the person who is seeking information.  If for any reason any other person(s) wishes to enquire on a service that they are not the owner of, we will not discuss any matters with them.  Exetel's Privacy policy is not negotiable under any circumstances, except for urgent or vital situations as described in the relevant Federal legislation (Privacy Act).

DISCLAIMER: This email message and accompanying data may contain information that is confidential and subject to privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message or data is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify us immediately and delete all material pertaining to this e-mail.

12:43 PM (2 hours ago)

to me
Dear Leslie,

outlet.
- Have you tried factory resetting your modem? (You could follow this URL for any assistance, http://exewiki.exetel.com.au/index.php?title=Category:ADSL_Modem_Setup_Guides)
- Have you tried an alternative modem? If you haven't please do so and note the make and model of it.

If the issue persists in order to investigate your reported fault further, our wholesale supplier’s infrastructure will need to be checked. This requires booking a suitable appointment time during normal business hours for the technician to attend your premises. A field technician may commence their investigation of the issue/fault at the Exchange and up to the Network Boundary Point at your premises. A Network Boundary Point is the first telephone wall socket in a Single Dwelling (Stand Alone House) or the A side of the Main Distribution Frame (MDF) in a Multi Dwelling (unit/apartment, flat, office, etc.) In the event that the technician investigates and confirms the issue is on your side of the Network Boundary Point or is related to faulty Customer Premise Equipment (CPE), such as your PC, software, internal wiring, own modem, router, filters, house alarms, etc. an Incorrect Call Out Fee of $220.00 Inc GST will be charged to you by Exetel.

Please confirm if you agree to this term.

Regards,

Kumudh Pathirana
Level 1 Senior Network Engineer
Exetel Technical Support
Exetel Pty Ltd

Hey, we like to ‘Get Things Done’ but sometimes little things can go astray. Like emails. This email may contain confidential information. If you received it accidentally please let the sender know and delete it. No contractual obligations for pricing or any services will arise until we sign a formal written contract or formal variation to your existing contract.

> https://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=284&t=42119&sid=efd98924d0b65a848c96f9a7f4eea94a&p=315011#p315011
>
>
>
> Random pause in data flow
>
> Unread postby Les S on Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:19 am
> I have been with Exetel for many years, the few issues here and there have been solved well enough, I have noticed over the past 6 months that the quality of service (reliability) has dropped.
>
> So for the problem I currently have, at random times of the day, seems to be more likely to happen in the morning or after about 2000h I get pauses in data flow, will receive data fine then it will just stop for 30sec maybe a a min then go back to being fine.
> I spoke to a service rep who said for me to change modem, done that and still the same, I think over the last 6 month I have changed modem about 4 times. I could understand if the service was just slow, but for it to be smooth and fast with these pauses is just frustrating.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> I hope I managed to explain my self well enough.
>
> Edit* Forgot to mention Blue Mountains Springwood exchange ADSL1
Hi,

One of our support engineers will get in touch with you soon to discuss this matter further.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================