ADSL2+ in Cardiff, NSW: consistently slow speeds

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
Post Reply
linarms
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:43 am

ADSL2+ in Cardiff, NSW: consistently slow speeds

Post by linarms » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:15 pm

This has been going on for several weeks now (probably longer).

I used to be able to max out my link (0249542083) at 6-8Mbps, now I can only get 1.3-1.5Mbps (have just been flogging it while watching nload on my router--e.g. speedtest.net with simultaneous large downloads from Apple's CDN).

Same with multiple modems (one Linksys, one Netcomm), which get ADSL sync reliably at 11999/812.

Web browsing performance is noticeably bad, serious downloads and video streaming are just nasty (unless I stop everything else from using the link). Interestingly, uplink is performing about normal (approx 600kbps).

Is this the new normal for Exetel, or do I have a problem here?

User avatar
Amila Fernando
Forum Admin
Posts: 369
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:59 am
Location: Australia

Re: ADSL2+ in Cardiff, NSW: consistently slow speeds

Post by Amila Fernando » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:15 pm

linarms wrote:This has been going on for several weeks now (probably longer).

I used to be able to max out my link (0249542083) at 6-8Mbps, now I can only get 1.3-1.5Mbps (have just been flogging it while watching nload on my router--e.g. speedtest.net with simultaneous large downloads from Apple's CDN).

Same with multiple modems (one Linksys, one Netcomm), which get ADSL sync reliably at 11999/812.

Web browsing performance is noticeably bad, serious downloads and video streaming are just nasty (unless I stop everything else from using the link). Interestingly, uplink is performing about normal (approx 600kbps).

Is this the new normal for Exetel, or do I have a problem here?
Hi,

Kindly note that I have looked into the concern that you have raised and would be requesting some information from your end as well.

Since of this I have created a support response for you under the ticket ID: 9334586. I have also dropped you an e-mail requesting the further information.

Kindly respond back to the e-mail sent to you enabling us to assist you further.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

linarms
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:43 am

Re: ADSL2+ in Cardiff, NSW: consistently slow speeds

Post by linarms » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:45 am

Thanks for responding. No email received yet.

Interestingly, as observed on other days, flooding the link at 11:40pm last night achieved a noticeably faster download speed -- approx. 3Mbps. This morning at about 6:40am I was able to get above 6Mbps a few times. I've suspected this time-based speed variation but hadn't measured it until today.

Presumably there is a demand bottleneck somewhere. Where might this be? My local exchange? Exetel's data centre?

linarms
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:43 am

Re: ADSL2+ in Cardiff, NSW: consistently slow speeds

Post by linarms » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:48 am

(The ticket isn't appearing in my Ticket History, either.)

User avatar
devindag
Exetel Staff
Posts: 487
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:08 pm
Location: Australia

Re: ADSL2+ in Cardiff, NSW: consistently slow speeds

Post by devindag » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:23 am

linarms wrote:Thanks for responding. No email received yet.

Interestingly, as observed on other days, flooding the link at 11:40pm last night achieved a noticeably faster download speed -- approx. 3Mbps. This morning at about 6:40am I was able to get above 6Mbps a few times. I've suspected this time-based speed variation but hadn't measured it until today.

Presumably there is a demand bottleneck somewhere. Where might this be? My local exchange? Exetel's data centre?
The email was sent again to your email address. Kindly check and respond to that email to assist you further.

linarms
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:43 am

Re: ADSL2+ in Cardiff, NSW: consistently slow speeds

Post by linarms » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:35 pm

devindag wrote:The email was sent again to your email address. Kindly check and respond to that email to assist you further.
Thanks, I've replied and have had the line isolated since late last night ... have you been able to run the isolation test yet?

User avatar
stevecJ
Forum Admin
Posts: 1040
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:48 am

Re: ADSL2+ in Cardiff, NSW: consistently slow speeds

Post by stevecJ » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:01 pm

linarms wrote:
devindag wrote:The email was sent again to your email address. Kindly check and respond to that email to assist you further.
Thanks, I've replied and have had the line isolated since late last night ... have you been able to run the isolation test yet?
Hi,

One of the support engineer is currently looking in to this and you will receive a response soon.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

Post Reply