Appalingly bad speeds over the past week

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
Drewus

Appalingly bad speeds over the past week

Post by Drewus » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:48 pm

Hi,

Over the past week i've been getting speeds so bad that the internet is barely even usable. Both me and my partner have to take turns using it, otherwise nothing will load at all.

Tonight it is so bad that even the Exetel speed test won't load and displays a latency error.

Can I please request a port reset or some other option to try and rectify this?

Kaushalya
Exetel Staff

Re: Appalingly bad speeds over the past week

Post by Kaushalya » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:10 pm

Drewus wrote:Hi,

Over the past week i've been getting speeds so bad that the internet is barely even usable. Both me and my partner have to take turns using it, otherwise nothing will load at all.

Tonight it is so bad that even the Exetel speed test won't load and displays a latency error.

Can I please request a port reset or some other option to try and rectify this?
A port reset has been performed as per your request. Please restart the modem and check your speed via http://speedtest.exetel.com.au during both peak and offpeak times. You may email the results to residentialsupport@exetel.com.au.

Your reference number is 9903992.

Drewus

Post by Drewus » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:17 pm

So the port reset worked great for a couple of days, and then went back to square 1. The speed right now is so bad that websites won't even load, and there's no one else but me using the connection. Occasionally the line will just completely drop out and I have to restart the modem to get it working again. I went out and bought a new phone cable and adapter to replace the old one, but there's no difference.

I honestly haven't experienced service this bad since the 1990's. This is serious 1998 28.8k level of service right here, and even then I think my connection was more reliable back then.

When I moved house you told me I had to pay a whole new start up fee. At that point I was on the verge of bailing and one of your salespeople managed to convince me otherwise. What a mistake that was. I'll give you until the end of the month and then if nothing improves, I'm done.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:03 pm

Drewus wrote:So the port reset worked great for a couple of days, and then went back to square 1. The speed right now is so bad that websites won't even load, and there's no one else but me using the connection. Occasionally the line will just completely drop out and I have to restart the modem to get it working again. I went out and bought a new phone cable and adapter to replace the old one, but there's no difference.

I honestly haven't experienced service this bad since the 1990's. This is serious 1998 28.8k level of service right here, and even then I think my connection was more reliable back then.

When I moved house you told me I had to pay a whole new start up fee. At that point I was on the verge of bailing and one of your salespeople managed to convince me otherwise. What a mistake that was. I'll give you until the end of the month and then if nothing improves, I'm done.
One of the senior support engineers will be emailing (Ticket 9903992) you the required tests from our end. Reply back to the same email with the results attached and we will investigate.

Nemo

Post by Nemo » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:15 pm

So, I'm in the same boat as the OP.
My internet speed is getting slow every evening.
Basically the modem is connecting on 4996 kbps, but the real speed (via exetel speedtest site) is only 1.4Mbps, so effectively it's 3 time slower that it should be... Do you guys (Exetel Support) have anything to say here, please?
I've been with Exetel for almost 10 years now (through 3 different properties/addresses) - but it's getting really worse, really feel that I need to move out...

Would appreciate some response, please.

Amila Fernando
Forum Admin

Post by Amila Fernando » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:35 pm

Nemo wrote:So, I'm in the same boat as the OP.
My internet speed is getting slow every evening.
Basically the modem is connecting on 4996 kbps, but the real speed (via exetel speedtest site) is only 1.4Mbps, so effectively it's 3 time slower that it should be... Do you guys (Exetel Support) have anything to say here, please?
I've been with Exetel for almost 10 years now (through 3 different properties/addresses) - but it's getting really worse, really feel that I need to move out...

Would appreciate some response, please.
Hi Nemo,

I have dropped an email to your nominated email, requesting some troubleshooting (Reference -9998298). Kindly go with the troubleshooting requested and let us know the outcome, so we can effectively investigate the incident.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

Nemo

Post by Nemo » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:55 am

Amila Fernando wrote: Hi Nemo,

I have dropped an email to your nominated email, requesting some troubleshooting (Reference -9998298). Kindly go with the troubleshooting requested and let us know the outcome, so we can effectively investigate the incident.
Hi Amila,
I've done as requested, but my speeds are still quite bad.
Here's what's reported by my modem (connection speed):
Modem.connection.speed.jpg
Modem Connection speed
Modem.connection.speed.jpg (106.43 KiB) Viewed 6064 times
And this is the real speed test to exetel :
The attachment Real.connection.speed.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
Real.connection.speed.jpg
Real conneciton speed
Real.connection.speed.jpg (181.45 KiB) Viewed 6064 times

stevecJ
Forum Admin

Post by stevecJ » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:19 pm

Nemo wrote:
Hi Amila,
I've done as requested, but my speeds are still quite bad.
Here's what's reported by my modem (connection speed):
Modem.connection.speed.jpg
And this is the real speed test to exetel :
Real.connection.speed.jpg
Hi Nemo,

I believe you have already discussed this mater with one of our support engineers.

We'll further check on this and respond to your email.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

Nemo

Post by Nemo » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:16 pm

stevecJ wrote: Hi Nemo,

I believe you have already discussed this mater with one of our support engineers.

Hello steveJ,

Yeah, I've discussed the issue over the phone, was advised to follow-up with my phone provider (Telstra).
I've spent 2 hours with telstra testing different configs\line settings (on their side) - and the signal was very clear, so there are no problems (as it seems) on the line itself.
Anyway - I'm following instructions from email (send screenshots of my connection speedtest) right now, hopefully there will be some outcome after that.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:21 pm

Nemo wrote:
stevecJ wrote: Hi Nemo,

Hello steveJ,

Yeah, I've discussed the issue over the phone, was advised to follow-up with my phone provider (Telstra).
I've spent 2 hours with telstra testing different configs\line settings (on their side) - and the signal was very clear, so there are no problems (as it seems) on the line itself.
Anyway - I'm following instructions from email (send screenshots of my connection speedtest) right now, hopefully there will be some outcome after that.
We have received your test results. We will investigate and update you accordingly.

Nemo

Post by Nemo » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:56 pm

KavindaS wrote: We have received your test results. We will investigate and update you accordingly.
Hi there!
Would you happen to have any news for me, please? I've provided the requested information.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:26 am

Nemo wrote:
KavindaS wrote: We have received your test results. We will investigate and update you accordingly.
Hi there!
Would you happen to have any news for me, please? I've provided the requested information.
One of the engineers is still working on this and we will reply to you through the same email thread.

basshead

Post by basshead » Mon May 09, 2016 7:15 pm

I have noticed both slow speed and some websites simply wont load. I've found in the past when this happens, it appears to be a problem with Exetel DNS server(s) as a modem reset does not fix it, but generally resolves itself within around 24hrs without any action from my end. This time it's been over 24hrs and some websites still aren't loading; ones I regularly access seem to work, but even Exetel webpage and webmail and forums take unusually long to load. Websites I've never been to or rarely use simply wont load at all. Eg: Google search loads, but click on any of the links in the search results and they just time-out.

I can't even load any speed test websites to do an actual speed test. (edit: ozspeedtest.com worked; 4.38Mbps line speed, 547kb/s download speed (the latter may have been limited by 10Mbit wifi connection to modem)

My modem connection speed is slightly slower than normal, but probably not unusual; 5952/384 Kbps

It makes no difference which device I use to connect to internet; phones, laptop, iPads. The same websites don't work on any device. Time period with problem is between around 4:30pm-midnight.

Internet banking was virtually unusable as it logged me out from inactivity while the pages were trying to load.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Mon May 09, 2016 10:39 pm

basshead wrote:I have noticed both slow speed and some websites simply wont load. I've found in the past when this happens, it appears to be a problem with Exetel DNS server(s) as a modem reset does not fix it, but generally resolves itself within around 24hrs without any action from my end. This time it's been over 24hrs and some websites still aren't loading; ones I regularly access seem to work, but even Exetel webpage and webmail and forums take unusually long to load. Websites I've never been to or rarely use simply wont load at all. Eg: Google search loads, but click on any of the links in the search results and they just time-out.

I can't even load any speed test websites to do an actual speed test. (edit: ozspeedtest.com worked; 4.38Mbps line speed, 547kb/s download speed (the latter may have been limited by 10Mbit wifi connection to modem)

My modem connection speed is slightly slower than normal, but probably not unusual; 5952/384 Kbps

It makes no difference which device I use to connect to internet; phones, laptop, iPads. The same websites don't work on any device. Time period with problem is between around 4:30pm-midnight.

Internet banking was virtually unusable as it logged me out from inactivity while the pages were trying to load.
I have opened a ticket for your above reported issue and we will email you via the email ref #10272258. Reply back and communicate through the same thread.

basshead

Post by basshead » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:57 pm

It's back. Same as before - some websites work (eg: google will load and display search results, but click on any links from the result and the page times-out while trying to load). Even exetel webmail wont load (but somehow exetel forums loads). Internet banking logs me out due to time-out (caused by excessive delay while loading pages).

It seemed to fix itself last time but it's a major inconvenience when it happens every month or so for up to a few days at a time.

I've not been home the past 3 weeks so unable to confirm if the problem occurred then. Was working fine last night, but started playing up again this evening.
Last edited by basshead on Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.