Facebook videos slooooooowwwwww.

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
tin

Facebook videos slooooooowwwwww.

Post by tin » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:33 pm

For some months now, I've been finding videos on Facebook to randomly be incredibly slow. So slow that often I have to pause it and come back some time later. Some days it's fine. Others it goes up and down. And some days it's just so slow I wait until the next day.

Speed on other websites and services remain fine when this happens, so it's not a local issue.

Just curious whether this is something other people are seeing, or just me. And also curious whether Exetel's gurus can see a problem somewhere. I'm assuming it's a Facebook problem, but want to be sure.
The above post is copyright, may be edited at any time, and should not be taken internally. Any breach of these terms may result in legal action or a sore tummy.

KavindaS
Exetel Staff

Re: Facebook videos slooooooowwwwww.

Post by KavindaS » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:26 pm

tin wrote:For some months now, I've been finding videos on Facebook to randomly be incredibly slow. So slow that often I have to pause it and come back some time later. Some days it's fine. Others it goes up and down. And some days it's just so slow I wait until the next day.

Speed on other websites and services remain fine when this happens, so it's not a local issue.

Just curious whether this is something other people are seeing, or just me. And also curious whether Exetel's gurus can see a problem somewhere. I'm assuming it's a Facebook problem, but want to be sure.
There were no known issues have reported. No identified issues within the Exetel network. Therefore if the issue persists, email (residentialsupport@exetel.com.au) a traceroute and a continues ping result to the facebook site and we may analyse and update you.

tin

Post by tin » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:20 pm

The site itself is fine.... It's just videos. And because it's Facebook, the exact URL to the video will be a closely guarded secret.

I could do a traceroute to facebook.com, but that would show nothing. The videos aren't hosted there. They're on some sort of poorly implemented CDN.
The above post is copyright, may be edited at any time, and should not be taken internally. Any breach of these terms may result in legal action or a sore tummy.

KavindaS
Exetel Staff

Post by KavindaS » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:55 pm

tin wrote:The site itself is fine.... It's just videos. And because it's Facebook, the exact URL to the video will be a closely guarded secret.

I could do a traceroute to facebook.com, but that would show nothing. The videos aren't hosted there. They're on some sort of poorly implemented CDN.
That is clear now. As you said it can be an issue with their end and nothing to do within your service connected.