Telstra played in the pit - 25% loss in sync speed.

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
tin

Telstra played in the pit - 25% loss in sync speed.

Post by tin » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:19 pm

So about 10:45 this morning, our internet suddenly died. We noticed Telstra "playing" in the pits.... No notifications, cause Telstra just don't care.
Anyway, 2 hours of downtime, and it's back. But we're only getting ~5.2mbps sync now, down from just over 7. Or, roughly a 25% loss in sync speed. Needless to say, I'm not happy.

Is there anything that can be done? Or does Telstra still not give a crap?
The above post is copyright, may be edited at any time, and should not be taken internally. Any breach of these terms may result in legal action or a sore tummy.

KavindaS
Exetel Staff

Re: Telstra played in the pit - 25% loss in sync speed.

Post by KavindaS » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:03 pm

tin wrote:So about 10:45 this morning, our internet suddenly died. We noticed Telstra "playing" in the pits.... No notifications, cause Telstra just don't care.
Anyway, 2 hours of downtime, and it's back. But we're only getting ~5.2mbps sync now, down from just over 7. Or, roughly a 25% loss in sync speed. Needless to say, I'm not happy.

Is there anything that can be done? Or does Telstra still not give a crap?
There were no notification to Exetel either of any maintenance. Checking through the line specs indicates the modem syncs at |-->Bitrate downstream 5223 Kbps. However I have rebuilt the port the at the Dslam and therefore power reboot the modem and monitor the service in isolation with the main telephone wall socket.

tin

Post by tin » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:10 pm

We've got a small improvement... 5585 now. Still not as fast as it was, but 300k extra is better than nothing.

We might leave it for now - if it doesn't drop again, we'll put up with it until NBN comes along.
The above post is copyright, may be edited at any time, and should not be taken internally. Any breach of these terms may result in legal action or a sore tummy.

KavindaS
Exetel Staff

Post by KavindaS » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:16 pm

tin wrote:We've got a small improvement... 5585 now. Still not as fast as it was, but 300k extra is better than nothing.

We might leave it for now - if it doesn't drop again, we'll put up with it until NBN comes along.
Monitor it for next 48 hours and let me know if any drop again.

tin

Post by tin » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:38 pm

I added a monitor for ADSL sync speed to my monitoring system yesterday afternoon (about 4.20pm - the flat line prior to 4pm in the graph is incorrect). As you can see, it's not happy.
Attachments
adsl sync 20170401.png
adsl sync 20170401.png (41.78 KiB) Viewed 2670 times

HimaJ
Exetel Staff

Post by HimaJ » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:42 pm

Exetel apologies for the inconvenience may have caused by this.

We have sent an email update to the authorized email account under the reference number 11418445.

Please reply to this so we can proceed with investigation.

Please feel free to contact Exetel via the same email thread if you have any further concerns.

tin

Post by tin » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:56 pm

So we're 2 weeks along, and we now sit and talk to each other about the weather or what web page we're hoping to look at next...
Current sync speed is just 795kbps. Yes, I do mean kilobits. We're at half Telstra's acceptable speeds.

I'm now told this has only just been passed on to Telstra... What the crap is with that? Why were they not told to immediately return and fix what they fucked up?

HimaJ
Exetel Staff

Post by HimaJ » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:30 pm

Exetel apologies for the inconvenience may have caused by this.

Please note that we have logged a fault about the reported service issue to our wholesale supplier. We will provide you an update once we have a feedback from the supplier.

Your reference # : 11476904