Nimbin - ADSL2+ dropout

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
alancsalt

Nimbin - ADSL2+ dropout

Post by alancsalt » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:37 pm

Dial tone on the line.
Only phone in the house.
Up until a week ago, no problems. Then dropout plague started. Click on a link, no response, then exclamation mark appears on Network icon.

Tried three different modems - Netcomm NB5 Plus4W Rev.2, Netgear N300 (DGN2200), and now tp-link AC1200 (Archer VR400)
Changed wall to modem phone cable.
Many resets done between first event and posting here.
Tried different splitters. (But having read a post on splitters will try one from Jaycar tomorrow.)
Done isolation test (which simply meant unplugging the phone from the splitter in my case. No other devices.) Issue remained.

If relevant, phone has very audible background hum. Have tried different handsets to no avail.

I get periods of maybe two or three hours where the connection drops out after every two to five minutes. Outside of those periods, dropouts far less frequent.
Dropout periods not confined to any particular time of day. Right now, two to three hours without dropout.

If logs are of use, which is best? Emergency, Alert, Critical, Error, Warning, Notice, Information or Debug?

tharmesk
Exetel Staff

Re: Nimbin - ADSL2+ dropout

Post by tharmesk » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:54 pm

Hi Alan,

Thank you for the inquiry and apologies for the inconvenience caused by the service issue.

Please note that we have sent you an email for further investigation of the dropout issue. Kindly check and reply.

alancsalt

Post by alancsalt » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:41 am

Reply sent. Other dialogue: [Exetel Residential Technical Support #13172338] Service number - 0266XXXXXX- ADSL Dropouts

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:56 pm

alancsalt wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:41 am
Reply sent. Other dialogue: [Exetel Residential Technical Support #13172338] Service number - 0266XXXXXX- ADSL Dropouts
We have received the reply and thank you for the detailed information. We will further investigate on this and provide you a feedback through the same email ticket thread.

alancsalt

Post by alancsalt » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:31 pm

The two new modems can't hold a connection at all, but the OLD one, which has a borked interface, can stay up for hours. It can't access some sites though, like Paypal.

On that OLD modem, can't access interface (192:168:1:1) or at least not far beyond first screen, then it says page not present or whatever, so can't compare settings.

Still prepared to risk $220 though, in quest for an answer to problem, also to get noise off phone, as it makes it hard to hear callers.

alancsalt

Post by alancsalt » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:30 pm

Tests on the old modem that can make a connection:

"Packet loss data will appear in Speedtest results only when you test to servers that support this capability"

rehanj
Exetel Staff

Post by rehanj » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:39 pm

alancsalt wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:30 pm
Tests on the old modem that can make a connection:

"Packet loss data will appear in Speedtest results only when you test to servers that support this capability"

Hi, thanks for the information. We have replied to your email via the same email thread. Please be kind enough to view this email and let us know if any further clarification is required. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

alancsalt

Post by alancsalt » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:08 pm

By cleaning the contacts in the phone line wall socket (wet & Dry "sandpaper" and alcohol) I have the tpi-link connecting, but still abysmal download figures. Seem to be slowly declining.
First test after socket cleaning had 9% packet loss, but since then 0%. (Before cleaning socket the test app said server didn't give packet loss figures.)

Compared to last year:

I'm just trying everything I can think of at my end.

No need to reply. Still wish for line check.

alancsalt

Post by alancsalt » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:26 pm

Stats from tpi-link:

nilushid
Exetel Staff

Post by nilushid » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:55 pm

We have send you an email regarding the reported service issue. Please reply back to the email if you have any further concerns.
Ref: #13172338

alancsalt

Post by alancsalt » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:35 pm

No dropout for twenty hours, true. The ongoing concern is the loss of download speed - bandwidth. I have been advised the error rates I'm getting are too high, so I would still like the line checked.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:18 pm

alancsalt wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:35 pm
No dropout for twenty hours, true. The ongoing concern is the loss of download speed - bandwidth. I have been advised the error rates I'm getting are too high, so I would still like the line checked.
Wholesale supplier estimates the reported service issue will be investigated on or before 27/06/2018 7:00PM. Please ensure suitable access to main distribution frame or the network boundary point is available. Usually when the technician is arranged as a commitment, they don't need to have access inside the premises. However we may need to wait without having further changes or troubleshooting until the technician visit is completed.

alancsalt

Post by alancsalt » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:11 pm

A very helpful Telstra man came this morning, listened to the noise on the line, looked at the stats, and checked the line between here and the exchange. He found corrosion in the pit connections, and changed them, came back and checked the result. Said he could find no other faults.

That eliminated the noise on the line, and raised dowload speed from 5 to 10.

So now, no dropouts and no noise on the phone.

Somewhere between here and Sydney though is some fault that has halved download speed from 20 in 2016 to 10 or 12 now. Regardless, I guess, for Exetel, that constitutes "resolved"?

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:13 pm

alancsalt wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:11 pm
A very helpful Telstra man came this morning, listened to the noise on the line, looked at the stats, and checked the line between here and the exchange. He found corrosion in the pit connections, and changed them, came back and checked the result. Said he could find no other faults.

That eliminated the noise on the line, and raised dowload speed from 5 to 10.

So now, no dropouts and no noise on the phone.

Somewhere between here and Sydney though is some fault that has halved download speed from 20 in 2016 to 10 or 12 now. Regardless, I guess, for Exetel, that constitutes "resolved"?
Good to hear the tech resolved news and we are still waiting for the detailed technician report. We will update based on the tech report.