Frequent drop-outs - renting a unit - concerned about call-out fees

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
dkoper

Frequent drop-outs - renting a unit - concerned about call-out fees

Post by dkoper » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:47 am

I experience frequent connection drop-outs. I feel it's more frequent this month (like, several times an hour), but it's been a problem for years (been with Exetel for >10 yrs).
I've called Exetel Support a few times over the years. They put me on a more stable configuration (I forgot the details - basically my max speed dropped to 1.3MB/s but lesser drop outs), even bought their modem router (from TP-Link to ZTE). Still dropping out. We have the modem router connected directly - we have no phones, faxes or other devices connected.

I'd like to hear from people with similar experience how they proceeded: rely on Exetel Support to sort it out (with all risks of fees), or just leave. NBN is coming to my street in the next few months. I also hear good things about Optus wireless broadband.

Exetel Support explained their next steps: They'd send an engineer to check the cabling to the unit block. If they can't find an issue, they'd charge me $220. Then I'd have to ask my strata to check the cabling between street and unit. If they can't find an issue, they'd charge me $220. Then I'd need to organise my own telecom engineer, or ask my real estate agent I guess, to check the cabling within the unit. I'm guessing $220, regardless of whether they find an issue.
So up to $660 with no guarantees it gets resolved: being intermittent it may not drop out when they're out here, or they may end of pointing fingers at each other?

judep
Exetel Staff

Re: Frequent drop-outs - renting a unit - concerned about call-out fees

Post by judep » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:06 pm

dkoper wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:47 am
I experience frequent connection drop-outs. I feel it's more frequent this month (like, several times an hour), but it's been a problem for years (been with Exetel for >10 yrs).
I've called Exetel Support a few times over the years. They put me on a more stable configuration (I forgot the details - basically my max speed dropped to 1.3MB/s but lesser drop outs), even bought their modem router (from TP-Link to ZTE). Still dropping out. We have the modem router connected directly - we have no phones, faxes or other devices connected.

I'd like to hear from people with similar experience how they proceeded: rely on Exetel Support to sort it out (with all risks of fees), or just leave. NBN is coming to my street in the next few months. I also hear good things about Optus wireless broadband.

Exetel Support explained their next steps: They'd send an engineer to check the cabling to the unit block. If they can't find an issue, they'd charge me $220. Then I'd have to ask my strata to check the cabling between street and unit. If they can't find an issue, they'd charge me $220. Then I'd need to organise my own telecom engineer, or ask my real estate agent I guess, to check the cabling within the unit. I'm guessing $220, regardless of whether they find an issue.
So up to $660 with no guarantees it gets resolved: being intermittent it may not drop out when they're out here, or they may end of pointing fingers at each other?
Hi,

Thak you for contacting Exetel, we have sent you an email therefore kindly get back to us by replying to the same email thread.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused by this issue. Your Ref#16507224

Thanks.

John Baird

Post by John Baird » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:36 pm

dkoper,
The only other solution is to go wireless. A year or so you should have access to 5G which, depending on load, will be as good as your NBN FTC which probably won't arrive until next year and you will be plagued with the same connection issues.

I've had very poor service the last two weeks, v low speeds and noisy phone line, and when trying to talk to the service staff, I guess in Sri Lanka, it was extremely difficult because they kept drifting below audible level. Eventually I had a visit from a tech. who said he found the fault in the street pit. The service was ok for about two days then back to v slow speeds and noisy phone connection.

So, like you I,m still on ADSL and weighing up the options, go with fibre, which costs twice as much as ADSL, or go wireless with probably more cost but less stuff between the modem and the service connection.

John Baird

Post by John Baird » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:50 pm

Hi Again,
I omitted to mention that I was on the phone (1300788141) for about 1.5 hours before I was given a "ticket", 90% of that time on hold.
The tech arrived early the next day and was gone within 30mins.
For the next few days I received multiple SMS to tell me the fault callout was booked. I eventually called Exetel 1300788141 to stop sending the SMS.

dkoper

Post by dkoper » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:58 pm

To my concern above about me potentially having to pay several parties as their technicians blame each other about which segment has the fault, Exetel Tech Support contacted me offline to state that usually the problem is not on their side and confirmed they'd charge me if they don't find an issue on their side, adding that I can try passing on their charge to my building Strata.

I guess this type of arrangement with multiple parties being responsible for different segments required for an acceptable service, and none taking responsibility for the outcome as a whole, puts me at the losing end.

John is right, wireless is my only solution. And looking at how much mobile broadband has evolved, I can only imagine a few years from now that's what we'll all be on.

I have taken on Optus mobile broadband with 500GB for $68/month. Set it up yesterday. Morning download speed was 40Gbps (was 10Gbps), current speed (10:30pm) is a mere 2Gbps. But no connection drop-outs so far.
While on it, I also reviewed my mobile plan: I have a 1.5GB data plan for $20/month with Exetel (Optus Wholesale). I have now applied for BoostMobile (Telstra) 80GB per year pre-paid plan for $135, i.e. $11.25/month with 4x the data.
So all in all I'll be paying $10/month extra, with the added benefit of being able to bring my Internet along anywhere I go (moving, vacation) 8)
Thanks!