Magae IP, only two choices

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
aussierod

Magae IP, only two choices

Post by aussierod » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:15 am

Hello, like those that clean their cookies, I hate being tracked by Google etc online via IP, thus I like to change my IP 4 from time to time.

Since switching to the NBN I've notice the 'Manage IP' only allows 2 choices, my current IP, and the last one I switched from prior.
The two rotating each change is completely useless; defeats the point of changing IP's and of having that feature.
Boils down to those like Google that track via IP, always knowing what I'm doing, which is a privacy breach.
ADSL never had this problem.

Why is there only 2 choices?

James
Exetel Staff

Re: Magae IP, only two choices

Post by James » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:50 pm

IPv4 is a diminishing resources, and these IPs are increasingly valuable.

kavindip
Exetel Staff

Post by kavindip » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:32 pm

aussierod wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:15 am
Hello, like those that clean their cookies, I hate being tracked by Google etc online via IP, thus I like to change my IP 4 from time to time.

Since switching to the NBN I've notice the 'Manage IP' only allows 2 choices, my current IP, and the last one I switched from prior.
The two rotating each change is completely useless; defeats the point of changing IP's and of having that feature.
Boils down to those like Google that track via IP, always knowing what I'm doing, which is a privacy breach.
ADSL never had this problem.

Why is there only 2 choices?
Please PM your Service Number or the Customer ID in order to look into this issue and assist you with it.

aussierod

Post by aussierod » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:29 pm

James wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:50 pm
IPv4 is a diminishing resources, and these IPs are increasingly valuable.
We were told today our plan is going up by $6 a month too, yet options like IP changing are seemingly gone. More for less.

How am I supposed to protect my 'logged out, cleared cookies' privacy from sites like Facebook, Google etc that use IPv4 like a finger print? Pay for an extra VPN service on top of my ISP bill? No thanks.

An Exetel fee used to be charged for more than 20 changes a year. That opinion seem gone too. Is there a way to turn off iPv4 then?

PM sent t kavindip. Thanks.

kavindip
Exetel Staff

Post by kavindip » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:39 pm

Thank you for the information.

We have raised your query with the relevant team for investigations and kindly refer the email sent to the nominated email address on the account, under reference 16918396, for further information regarding this matter.

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:13 pm

Elect to go on carrier NAT then.

If you think that changing your IP stops Big Brother snooping on you, then think again.