Broken ADSL2 on the Dural NSW Exchange?

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
Greg Denton

Broken ADSL2 on the Dural NSW Exchange?

Post by Greg Denton » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:12 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm 6 and a half weeks into no ADSL2 at home. Was working on Thursday January 30th and then 31st it just stopped for no reason. After endless troubleshooting (repeated again and again) with multiple modems/routers, an official complaint to Exetel and also the TIO I'm no closer to an outcome.

Port swap was meant to occur yesterday but so far 'the wholesale supplier hasn't confirmed". I reckon the DSLAM is at end of life and/or faulty. NBN isn't an option/available to me yet but according to NBNCO is due Apr-June this year. Am I being too cynical in thinking there's no interest for the wholesale supplier in rectifying my ADSL2 because it would cost the wholesale supplier a lot of money to fix when NBN will 'soon' be available to supersede it?

I'm aware of another Exetel customer who lives nearby, with the exact same circumstance (who by the way had the port swap done but it achieved nothing). There cant just be 2 of us on the Dural exchange affected. Is anyone else out there also impacted?

regards

Greg

bodogbodog

Re: Broken ADSL2 on the Dural NSW Exchange?

Post by bodogbodog » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:49 pm

I feel your pain.....
Same issue here on the Dural exchange - have been down from 1 Feb 2020
Error is Failed to Authenticate

So far we've had:
  • Optus Wholesale swap the port
    Tried multiple modems
    Tried a brand new ZTE modem from Exetel
    Changed the username and password on my Exetel profile
The issue remains the same - Failure to Authenticate - and Exetel support cant see the attempt to authenticate (they can see my modem and I can see there is a ADSL line connection available via the modem)

Exetel incident number is 16834689

rasikak
Exetel Staff

Post by rasikak » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:15 pm

Greg Denton wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:12 pm
Hi everyone,

I'm 6 and a half weeks into no ADSL2 at home. Was working on Thursday January 30th and then 31st it just stopped for no reason. After endless troubleshooting (repeated again and again) with multiple modems/routers, an official complaint to Exetel and also the TIO I'm no closer to an outcome.

Port swap was meant to occur yesterday but so far 'the wholesale supplier hasn't confirmed". I reckon the DSLAM is at end of life and/or faulty. NBN isn't an option/available to me yet but according to NBNCO is due Apr-June this year. Am I being too cynical in thinking there's no interest for the wholesale supplier in rectifying my ADSL2 because it would cost the wholesale supplier a lot of money to fix when NBN will 'soon' be available to supersede it?

I'm aware of another Exetel customer who lives nearby, with the exact same circumstance (who by the way had the port swap done but it achieved nothing). There cant just be 2 of us on the Dural exchange affected. Is anyone else out there also impacted?

regards

Greg
thank you for reaching out. Kindly provide your customer ID or the service number via PM so we could check that for you.

rasikak
Exetel Staff

Post by rasikak » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:18 pm

bodogbodog wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:49 pm
I feel your pain.....
Same issue here on the Dural exchange - have been down from 1 Feb 2020
Error is Failed to Authenticate

So far we've had:
  • Optus Wholesale swap the port
    Tried multiple modems
    Tried a brand new ZTE modem from Exetel
    Changed the username and password on my Exetel profile
The issue remains the same - Failure to Authenticate - and Exetel support cant see the attempt to authenticate (they can see my modem and I can see there is a ADSL line connection available via the modem)

Exetel incident number is 16834689
Thank you for reaching out. The reported issue is a complex issue which is currently investigating by the Supplier engineers under the supervision of supplier senior managment team. We will update you once there is an update available.

bodogbodog

Post by bodogbodog » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:26 pm

Still down

Next step is apparently to send an engineer to check the connection to my home next week

As we've told Exetel there are two of us on the Dural experiencing the same issue - the drop out of our services happened at exactly the same time and we have the same issue - no ADSL service and Authentication Failure

Why don't both cases get looked at together?

It's frustrating to see both being dealt with in different ways - yet the same things are being tried at different times (and none are working)
If this is Optus fault then their troubleshooting process is rubbish - I don't understand Exetel's network architecture but if the failure to authenticate is an Exetel issue then it will be very disappointing as our services have no been down for 2 months - and to make it worse my voice service went down on Friday or thereabouts....

KasunW
Exetel Staff

Post by KasunW » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:04 pm

bodogbodog wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:26 pm
Still down

Next step is apparently to send an engineer to check the connection to my home next week

As we've told Exetel there are two of us on the Dural experiencing the same issue - the drop out of our services happened at exactly the same time and we have the same issue - no ADSL service and Authentication Failure

Why don't both cases get looked at together?

It's frustrating to see both being dealt with in different ways - yet the same things are being tried at different times (and none are working)
If this is Optus fault then their troubleshooting process is rubbish - I don't understand Exetel's network architecture but if the failure to authenticate is an Exetel issue then it will be very disappointing as our services have no been down for 2 months - and to make it worse my voice service went down on Friday or thereabouts....
DSLAM for your service was changed by the wholesale suppliers and now we are currently waiting until they arrange a port swap for this service. Our wholesale suppliers have stated that they wish to complete this on or before 08/04/2020. This will be followed up and you will be notified when new information is available from the suppliers end.

bodogbodog

Post by bodogbodog » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:18 pm

Thanks

It's disappointing that no one has told me that information yesterday when I rung Exetel for an update

The TXT message I got yesterday from Exetel said a technician would be reviewing this on or before 8/4 and required access to the point of entry of the service to my home - I assume that this is somehow related to them moving me to a new port at the Exchange - but its a strange way to communicate that info as its definitely not what the TXT said

It seems the standard TXT message template doesn't match up with reality

Does that explain why the Voice line went down in the last 48 hours when it, at least. had been working

After 9 weeks down I am certainly keen to see this resolved - but I've been told that they had switched ports for me a couple of weeks back - and that made absolutely zero difference

KasunW
Exetel Staff

Post by KasunW » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:40 pm

bodogbodog wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:18 pm
Thanks

It's disappointing that no one has told me that information yesterday when I rung Exetel for an update

The TXT message I got yesterday from Exetel said a technician would be reviewing this on or before 8/4 and required access to the point of entry of the service to my home - I assume that this is somehow related to them moving me to a new port at the Exchange - but its a strange way to communicate that info as its definitely not what the TXT said

It seems the standard TXT message template doesn't match up with reality

Does that explain why the Voice line went down in the last 48 hours when it, at least. had been working

After 9 weeks down I am certainly keen to see this resolved - but I've been told that they had switched ports for me a couple of weeks back - and that made absolutely zero difference
Exetel sincerely apologized for any inconvenience caused to you in this matter and if there has not been proper communication regarding the fault. As stated previously we are currently waiting for an update regarding the progress of the port swap. Once new information is available you will be notified.

bodogbodog

Post by bodogbodog » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:52 am

My ADSL service was finally ixed on the 9th of April - after Optus Wholesale swapped my service to a new port on a replacement DSLAM

It took 2 months and 1 week - way too long I'm afraid - hopefully there are lessons learnt on how Exetel can interface with Optus to get issues like this dealt with faster. We spent way too longer resetting modems back to original configs (when the service just stopped working one day without the modem having been touched and testing lines when the lack of Authentication pointed to other issues in the network - 9-10 weeks down is way too long

Hopefully the other customer on the Dural exchange with Exetel with exactly the same issue gets his issue resolved soon - it seems we were both victims of a DSLAM going faulty on 31 January....

KavindaS
Exetel Staff

Post by KavindaS » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:50 pm

bodogbodog wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:52 am
My ADSL service was finally ixed on the 9th of April - after Optus Wholesale swapped my service to a new port on a replacement DSLAM

It took 2 months and 1 week - way too long I'm afraid - hopefully there are lessons learnt on how Exetel can interface with Optus to get issues like this dealt with faster. We spent way too longer resetting modems back to original configs (when the service just stopped working one day without the modem having been touched and testing lines when the lack of Authentication pointed to other issues in the network - 9-10 weeks down is way too long

Hopefully the other customer on the Dural exchange with Exetel with exactly the same issue gets his issue resolved soon - it seems we were both victims of a DSLAM going faulty on 31 January....
It is extremely good to have the news from you about the service restoration and Exetel apologies for the inconvenience may have caused.

We have already requested our Billing department to work on the necessary credits and inform you via the ticket reference 16833670. Your feedback about our service is highly valuable and we have certainly noted them to use in our future service issues.