ADSL2+ Dropout the whole weekend.

Connection issues, drop outs or speed related faults for ADSL and ADSL2+ services
nhayashi

ADSL2+ Dropout the whole weekend.

Post by nhayashi » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:49 pm

The internet stopped working Saturday morning (28/3). By midday I called tech support and explained what happened. Tech support was helpful, trying to run me through an isolation test by removing my ADSL filter and connecting directly to socket but still nothing. They said they can't see any faults on their side as well. I understand Exetel is only a wholesaler and that my ADSL is actually provided by Optus but there is one thing I would like to address just in case the Telstra contractor comes out and decides to charge me the $220 incorrect callout fee.

I am an electronics/electromechanical service technician by trade. I've fixed stuff ranging from Extra Low Voltage to Low Voltage appliances (1kV and below), therefore I'd usually know what are the causes of intermittent faults.

I had no landline phone to test out for a dial tone but I do have a multimeter, so I tested the voltage coming out of the phone socket. On Saturday it was reading 45mV when I first measured, then later in the evening it went up to 60mV. Sunday morning it went up to 69mV, and suddenly an hour later it went up to approx. 200mV. As far as I know, part B (consumer side) of the MDF has no electronic components to regulate anything, and if there is an actual fault with the building's cables itself it would present itself as either an open circuit (0V) or intermittent (sometimes 0V, sometimes 48V). It may or may not be a cabling fault on Telstra/Optus' side but in my experience fixing electrical and electronic cabling for appliances, cables do not cause fluctuations in supply voltage. Seeing as phone lines are DC voltages, the only main reason for drop in voltage is equipment failure (on ISP side).

I have also tried swapping modems just to confirm whether it is a faulty modem, however the brand new modem did not register any ADSL activity as well (voltage too low, go figure).

I've got a few photos that I have taken as evidence that everything on my side is working well. To be honest, if the Australian telecommunications industry weren't so screwed up I would've gotten my foot in the door, get endorsed for ACMA Open Rego and would've been able to go further to fix this issue myself. Unfortunately the telecommunications industry is only interested in hiring 1st year apprentices rather than those already at Diploma or Bachelor's Degree level. So now you know why I'd refuse to pay the $220 incorrect callout fee if the contractor tries to slap me with one later on.

judep
Exetel Staff

Re: ADSL2+ Dropout the whole weekend.

Post by judep » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:26 pm

nhayashi wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:49 pm
The internet stopped working Saturday morning (28/3). By midday I called tech support and explained what happened. Tech support was helpful, trying to run me through an isolation test by removing my ADSL filter and connecting directly to socket but still nothing. They said they can't see any faults on their side as well. I understand Exetel is only a wholesaler and that my ADSL is actually provided by Optus but there is one thing I would like to address just in case the Telstra contractor comes out and decides to charge me the $220 incorrect callout fee.

I am an electronics/electromechanical service technician by trade. I've fixed stuff ranging from Extra Low Voltage to Low Voltage appliances (1kV and below), therefore I'd usually know what are the causes of intermittent faults.

I had no landline phone to test out for a dial tone but I do have a multimeter, so I tested the voltage coming out of the phone socket. On Saturday it was reading 45mV when I first measured, then later in the evening it went up to 60mV. Sunday morning it went up to 69mV, and suddenly an hour later it went up to approx. 200mV. As far as I know, part B (consumer side) of the MDF has no electronic components to regulate anything, and if there is an actual fault with the building's cables itself it would present itself as either an open circuit (0V) or intermittent (sometimes 0V, sometimes 48V). It may or may not be a cabling fault on Telstra/Optus' side but in my experience fixing electrical and electronic cabling for appliances, cables do not cause fluctuations in supply voltage. Seeing as phone lines are DC voltages, the only main reason for drop in voltage is equipment failure (on ISP side).

I have also tried swapping modems just to confirm whether it is a faulty modem, however the brand new modem did not register any ADSL activity as well (voltage too low, go figure).

I've got a few photos that I have taken as evidence that everything on my side is working well. To be honest, if the Australian telecommunications industry weren't so screwed up I would've gotten my foot in the door, get endorsed for ACMA Open Rego and would've been able to go further to fix this issue myself. Unfortunately the telecommunications industry is only interested in hiring 1st year apprentices rather than those already at Diploma or Bachelor's Degree level. So now you know why I'd refuse to pay the $220 incorrect callout fee if the contractor tries to slap me with one later on.
Hi,

Thank you for the detailed explanation of the current situation at your premise. could you please pm your service details (service no or customer id) so we can further look into this and advise.

Thank you,

nhayashi

Post by nhayashi » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:55 pm

Internet has been reconnected by 5pm today, ADSL lights started blinking and internet connection recommenced. Told you it wasn't a fault on my side. However, it is annoying that Optus decided to disconnect me from their side without giving notice to either myself or Exetel tech support staff. Once again thank you Exetel staff, I have just PM you judep

KavindaS
Exetel Staff

Post by KavindaS » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:48 pm

nhayashi wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:55 pm
Internet has been reconnected by 5pm today, ADSL lights started blinking and internet connection recommenced. Told you it wasn't a fault on my side. However, it is annoying that Optus decided to disconnect me from their side without giving notice to either myself or Exetel tech support staff. Once again thank you Exetel staff, I have just PM you judep
I have monitored your service further and it is stable for more than 2 days now. Issue seems to have fully resolved and I have updated the ticket 17000905.