Best modem/ wifi modem router

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
Cosa

Best modem/ wifi modem router

Post by Cosa » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:51 pm

Hey guys.

Looking to upgrade my setup, ive got the dredded Netcomm NB5 and a Dlink DI-624 wifi router, which dosnt seem to like the netcomm very much.

I need either a modem to sync the line(and the DI 624 will connect to the net), or a wifi modem/router combo. The problem is that i have a long range wifi network (point ot point) and it only seems to work when the DI 624 is in 108mbps mode(Xtreme G). Any one know of any good modems or wifi modem/router combo that run 108mbps? Also needs to have a removable antenna with sma connector. I would prefer just to replace the NB5, but cant find any adsl modems that dont act as a router.

Cheers

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:17 pm

Most modems can be placed in bridge mode so that you can continue to use your existing router. However, in my opinion, wireless routers are much better than separate devices because they are much easier to diagnose and debug (i.e. you cannot enter the modem web interface when connected through a router in bridge mode).

As for specific recommendations, I think that 108Mbps is a misnomer. They are actually just 2 x 54Mbps antenna. So they still transmit via the 802.11g protocol and I can't see why your network would fail to connect to a 54Mbps router. In fact, out of the Netcomm NB5 and the DLink DI-624, I might suggest that the DLink is the issue, not the Netcomm.

However, I know that my old Draytek 2600G router fulfilled your requirements (108Mbps, removable SMA antenna). The Drayteks are more expensive that other modem / routers but they SOHO routers rather than residential because they support true VPN and VLAN features.

There are bound to be other residential grade 108Mbps wireless modems (like Netgear or Dlink) but I'm not sure about their antennas, and I probably wouldn't want to recommend them anyway. There is a 108Mbps Netcomm NB600W that may have what you need, I'm not sure.

Kamalmawa

Post by Kamalmawa » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:54 pm

Try BILLLION 7300G in case u decided to go for a 54Mbps Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router
http://www.billion.com.au/product/wirel ... c7300g.php

Cosa

Post by Cosa » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:20 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:... I might suggest that the DLink is the issue, not the Netcomm.
The dlink did have its own issues but they are now sorted, as for bridged mode, exetel told me not to put my modem into this mode :? Any suggestions on how to set this up on my NB5 and have it work?

I would rather just replace the NB5 with a modem that will sync the line, and then just connect with the Dlink. Since it would be cheaper to just get a plain modem without any routing capabilities.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:38 am

Cosa wrote:The dlink did have its own issues but they are now sorted, as for bridged mode, exetel told me not to put my modem into this mode :? Any suggestions on how to set this up on my NB5 and have it work?
I'm not intimately familiar with bridging modems, but there is absolutely no reason why the DLink and NB5 cannot be successfully bridged. There should be some details in your user manual. But I will also stress that modem + routers in bridged mode are unnecessarily complicated.

Plain modems without any routing capacity may cost about $60-$80. Modems with full wireless and routing capacity cost about $100-$120. So it is not actually that much more to pay for a device, especially consider how much simpler it is to get a wireless network up and running:
  • With a wireless modem/router you simply enter ADSL username and password and tick "Enable wireless network".
  • With a bridged modem and routing device you have to configure each device separately and correctly for bridging and you lose the ability to enter the modem web interface (as it effectively becomes hidden on the network by the router)
Also, can you elaborate on what you mean by point-to-point? Does this mean your the wireless signal is transferred from the DLink to a wireless access point, in which other devices are connected via ethernet? Or do you actually mean just a standard wireless network (with each remote device having it's own wireless network card or USB that picks up the DLink signal)?

Cosa

Post by Cosa » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:45 pm

Its just a standard network with long range directional antennas. At this point im just going to replace the NB5 because its useless, freezes at about 12:00, or just before then, every night. Would this be due to the on-peak/off-peak?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:54 pm

Cosa wrote:At this point im just going to replace the NB5 because its useless, freezes at about 12:00, or just before then, every night. Would this be due to the on-peak/off-peak?
Probably not. The NB5's have an issue with disconnecting right on 29 hours of uptime. There are threads regarding this on this forum. It seems to be an issue with their firmware. Also, if you are downloading via P2P, the large number of connections that P2P utilise has the capacity to overload certain modems, so this may be causing issues for you too.

By the sound of it you should replace the NB5, but again I would strongly suggest you consider a wireless router / modem instead of continuing to use the DLink. If so, you should examine the Billion 7300G and Netcomm NB6+4W / Dynalink RTA1025W to see whether their antennas are removable (and I assume replacable with a directional antenna). Worst case, you can set these routers onto bridge mode and continue using the DLink and you also get a wireless backup option if the DLink ever fails in the future.

Kamalmawa

Post by Kamalmawa » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:15 pm

Before I connect to EXETEL (with iPrimus) I had a Netcomm NB5 Modem (One ethernet port and USB) I used to share ADSL (512k ADSL1) with my house mates using a simple $15 5-port switch.. so that means NB5 has a DHCP server (router) to assign IP addresses.. after while when I started using a wireless laptop I bought a DLINK wireless router (Don't remember the model but I'm sure it was 108Mbps one)..Thing is I didn't have to change any settings to get it work..

for the firmware upgrade for my NB5 I remember I had to send it back to Netcomm as they had to do some modification order to upgrade NB5 firmware for ADSL2+. (NB5 wasn't fully ADSL2+ compatible back then)
Last edited by Kamalmawa on Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:19 pm

If the router has an uplink port that the modem can plug into, then no configuration changes should be necessary as the router would then simply forward all external traffic to and from the uplink port without any bridging necessary.

Kamalmawa

Post by Kamalmawa » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:28 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:If the router has an uplink port that the modem can plug into, then no configuration changes should be necessary as the router would then simply forward all external traffic to and from the uplink port without any bridging necessary.
as far as I know most of routers has Uplink (or it call WAN in some routers) port to do that.. I'm 100% sure DI-624 has a uplink port to do that...
I was guessing "Cosa" did connect NB5 to uplink port.. isn't that the correct way? I'm pretty sure you can't share the internet without connecting it to uplink port..

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:17 pm

http://www.dlink.com.au/tech/default.asp?model=DI-624 seems to have very brief instructions for connecting the Dlink and Netcomm modems under Connect to Internet > ADSL modems > Netcomm.

It says you just connect the modem via the WAN port and set the router to receive a Dynamic IP. This implies you Netcomm modem should already be set up with PPPoE authentication and DHCP already configured. Under this arrangement though, I can see the possibility of a clash as both devices may be statically set to 192.168.0.1. So you probably need to configure the modem first, then connect only to the router and set it to DHCP before connecting modem to router WAN port.

The alternative (also briefly mentioned in the above URL) is to configure the Netcomm modem into bridge mode, then set the PPPoE authentication credentials in the DLink router.

Kamalmawa

Post by Kamalmawa » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:06 am

Yeah I accept what CoreyPlover said.. And I remember that Both Netcomm & DLINK products use the 192.168.0.1 as default Server IP.. I remember that I changed one of them to something else (eg: 192.168.1.1)