copying dvd

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
kbsd

copying dvd

Post by kbsd » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:51 am

I have trouble with copied Dvd' freezing when replaying on DVD Player.
Has anyone any help please.

Spanner_Man

Post by Spanner_Man » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:36 pm

Yes, don't use copys of DVD's. Its illegal.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:03 pm

kbsd, It's probably best to follow up your question on a different forum. The community here is geared towards diagnosing and discussing ADSL and telecommunication related topics.

dogwomble

Post by dogwomble » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:11 am

Spanner_Man wrote:Yes, don't use copys of DVD's. Its illegal.
Well, that depends on how copyright law is interpreted.

I believe changes have been made that allow you to make duplicate copies of movies you have legally bought, as long as it is in a different format.

Even so, it's one that we would be hesitant to answer due to the possible illegalities of it.

tocpcs

Post by tocpcs » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:53 am

Answering that question isn't illegal.

It's only illegal if you teach copyright protection mechanisms, and even then, not a case will stand if it's personal backup copies.

It's when you start talking about how to breach protection mechanisms that you cross the border on discussion. How to play a DVD that was copied? There's nothing illegal there.

Sure, it's not really on topic when considered the forum, but that's not a crime.

Playing the DVD and it freezing could be related to a few things, it can depend on how the copy was done, through to if there are any scratches on the disk, to being played in an Aldi DVD player.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:17 pm

...or if it freezes at the same place every time across different copies then it will probably be a defect or copy protection mechanism in the original DVD. Some software like BlindRead and BlindWrite might handle unreadable sectors like these differently to other programs

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:43 pm

tocpcs wrote:...to being played in an Aldi DVD player.
I have one of these... works a treat! Better than the $400 one I bought years ago.

teaguechod

Re: copying dvd

Post by teaguechod » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:48 am

You might also want to consider the brand of blank dvds you are using. Verbatim and TDK are the only ones I would trust to burn consistently without errors or glitches, especially for movies. Many other brands will seem to burn ok, but will just be completely unwatchable (if movies), or unreadable (if data).