Fiber Optic lines

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
cardiganstreet

Fiber Optic lines

Post by cardiganstreet » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:46 pm

Hi all
Today we had an Optus guy knock at the door ask if we wanted to change our lines to fiber Optic. He says we would be paying less on 'service fees'.

Does anyone know what he was talking about? He seemed like a nice guy but his accent was very heavy and I found it hard to understand.

I don't know if this is a sneaky way to get us to join optus or a real deal benefit that could save us money?

Anyone else have this offer?

cheers
Muzzy

James
Exetel Staff

Re: Fiber Optic lines

Post by James » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:50 pm

cardiganstreet wrote:Hi all
Today we had an Optus guy knock at the door ask if we wanted to change our lines to fiber Optic. He says we would be paying less on 'service fees'.

Does anyone know what he was talking about? He seemed like a nice guy but his accent was very heavy and I found it hard to understand.

I don't know if this is a sneaky way to get us to join optus or a real deal benefit that could save us money?

Anyone else have this offer?

cheers
Muzzy
Hi Muzzy,

He wants to put you on Optus cable - Optus can offer pretty good deals if you are on their network as they don't have to pay Telstra any fees, but you are locked into using ONLY an Optus service.

James

cardiganstreet

Post by cardiganstreet » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:25 am

Ahh.... yes thought as much.
Usually I dismiss these door knocker guys but he didn't seem as desperate as the usual lot.
Is it just me or does every other exetel user get bombarded with these 'great deals' from the big tel coms too?

James D

Post by James D » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:26 am

I had a call from Telstra the other day and a door knock from an Optus guy last week too.

JamesR

Post by JamesR » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:49 am

We rarely get these calls as we have a private phone number on the Telstra home phone (which is never used for outgoing calls - gotta love Exetel VoIP) :lol:
Regards,

JamesR
Customer since 2005

Mort

Post by Mort » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:23 am

And it's *not* "fiber optic" anyway. It's a hybrid coax and based on the current Optus offerings, you won't save anything over what you can get through the various Exetel options...

Optus will however give you more restrictions on what you can do on your internet connection for "no additional cost" though!
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

Anthony Michaud

Post by Anthony Michaud » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:35 pm

James D wrote:I had a call from Telstra the other day and a door knock from an Optus guy last week too.
I had a Telstra business guy ring me up. He wanted to know if I wanted to switch a client to Telstra internet. After I stopped laughing at the poor guy (literally) I asked him to come up with some competitive rates - $3/Gb for excess data usage etc.

He said he'd get back to me, but that was a week ago :)
Linux/*SD: How do you want to work quickly, reliably, cheaply and .... oooh look - something shiney over there. We'll be back to finish this later ...