Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
austdata

Post by austdata » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:20 am

It intrigues me no end that Exetel customers put Australia as their location in their forum profiles.

It's somewhat like all the letter boxes all round the country marked Australia Post. Who else on this earth would put them there Deutscher Pfosten, US Mail?!

I suppose it's marginally better than, "Location: Here" or "My Place" but I'm still waiting for an Exetel customer to put China or some such other exotic location in their profile ... and, of course, be able to prove it!

No cheating and putting Sri Lanka now that I've mentioned my concern. Too late for that.

Perhaps I should capitulate to such broad minded thinking and change my location to "The Australian Antarctic Territory". While I've never been there, it is at least original.

Cheers,

Mike

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Location: Australia

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:34 am

austdata wrote:I'm still waiting for an Exetel customer to put China or some such other exotic location in their profile
Uh-oh. This probably means I'm going to have to be more cautious in activating user accounts, because one of the obvious giveaways for spam-created accounts are locations outside of Australia. Having said that, there are some pretty funky sounding suburbs in Australia.

austdata

Post by austdata » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:47 am

CoreyPlover wrote:Having said that, there are some pretty funky sounding suburbs in Australia.
Places like Dallas, just up the road from Hawthorne. :lol:

Cheers,

Mike

tocpcs

Post by tocpcs » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:56 am

The idea of a competing postal service in Australia sounds interesting.

They'd be competing on stamp prices. But, just like it is in Broadband with Telstra, the incumbent generally holds it's self way above water, and competitive entry just remains difficult.

Munka

Post by Munka » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:53 am

For a very short time mine was "the edge of the solar system" I then thought that was too ambiguous so changed it to the current more specific one :oops:
The celestial reference has to do with the fact that I am currently using a satellite link, it is not as bad as it sounds (insert optimism here), though of course I would prefer a copper link to Exetel :D

Edit: I am in the Budawang wilderness of NSW.
Last edited by Munka on Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Munka

austdata

Post by austdata » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:35 pm

Budawang! That sounds great! I'd leave it at that and be very happy. Hmm, may have to get out a map of Australia and see if I can find it - nah, I'll Google it with Wombat. :wink:

Cheers,

Mike

Munka

Post by Munka » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:45 pm

austdata wrote:Budawang! That sounds great! I'd leave it at that and be very happy. Hmm, may have to get out a map of Australia and see if I can find it - nah, I'll Google it with Wombat. :wink:

Cheers,

Mike
Budawang is the wonderful national park that surrounds the property, but if you drive down to Ulladulla and turn right heading into the bush towards Brooman you can't miss us, drop in for a cuppa if your in the area. :D
Munka

austdata

Post by austdata » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:26 pm

Munka wrote:Budawang is the wonderful national park that surrounds the property, but if you drive down to Ulladulla and turn right heading into the bush towards Brooman you can't miss us, drop in for a cuppa if your in the area. :D
I used to go scuba diving not far from there. Shoalhaven, Shellharbour, etc. If I get up that way again, I just might take you up on that. :wink:

Cheers,

Mike

GaryG

Post by GaryG » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:06 pm

austdata wrote:
CoreyPlover wrote:Having said that, there are some pretty funky sounding suburbs in Australia.
Places like Dallas, just up the road from Hawthorne. :lol:

Cheers,

Mike
Are you sure that you are in Melbourne?

It's spelt Hawthorn and nowhere near Dallas.

roby

Post by roby » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:24 pm

Dallas it is most likely up the road from Richmond :lol:

austdata

Post by austdata » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:45 am

Hmm, maybe I was thinking of Nigel Hawthorne and Huston.

PS: Hawthorne sux. :P

C'arn the Pies!!!!

kiwigene

Post by kiwigene » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:41 pm

tocpcs wrote:The idea of a competing postal service in Australia sounds interesting.

They'd be competing on stamp prices. But, just like it is in Broadband with Telstra, the incumbent generally holds it's self way above water, and competitive entry just remains difficult.
They have competing postal services in NZ. You buy different stamps
and use differnt post boxes. Thankfully you still only need one receiving
letter box at home though...

felix

Post by felix » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:51 pm

kiwigene wrote:
tocpcs wrote:The idea of a competing postal service in Australia sounds interesting.

They have competing postal services in NZ. You buy different stamps
and use differnt post boxes. Thankfully you still only need one receiving
letter box at home though...
I'd have thought you'd have one set of boxes, but the original carrier would be forced to wholesale it's mailboxes and sorting facilities to competitors who can then offer a 3kg package for $6 while the original has to charge $60 to remain non-monopolistic. :P

Hey Munka, my folks live close by the Deua national park near Moruya and feel your non-ADSL pain.

austdata

Post by austdata » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:23 pm

felix wrote: I'd have thought you'd have one set of boxes, but the original carrier would be forced to wholesale it's mailboxes and sorting facilities to competitors who can then offer a 3kg package for $6 while the original has to charge $60 to remain non-monopolistic. :P
I am now waiting for the Rudd Government to privatise the army! :shock:

Fortunately, he's only cutting $10,000,000,000 from the civilian side of the military. You know, the payroll, VIP aircraft maintenance, gun manufactures, service technicians, bullet makers, radar operators, police, ambulance, fire officers and other non-essential civilian contributions to defence.

Hmm, I wonder if that includes bullet proof vest makers too, like the one Big Kev uses when overseas? Probably wont matter, the VIP fleet will be grounded, so he wont be needing them.

Peter Garrett, "We (Labor) will change it all (campaign promises) when we take office." Didn't take long, less than four months. My grandfather was right, they are all tarred with the same brush. Anyone got the feathers? :roll: :wink:

Cheers,

Mike

tocpcs

Post by tocpcs » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:07 pm

austdata wrote: I am now waiting for the Rudd Government to privatise the army! :shock:
But, only a private company can run efficiently. And with a privatised army comes cost cutting and, naturally following after, competition. They both compete on price until they are at bear bones, and then they start innovating, and finding new ways to deliver a better service at a cheaper cost. Yep, replace man with robots. Just don't call it SkyNet.