Idle Computer Time & Science

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
austdata

Post by austdata » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:42 pm

Dear Exetel Forum Members,
If you have your computers on for a while almost every day and they are not working flat out all that time, could you donate some of that idle time to science?

I'm a member of BOINC@AUSTRALIA, a team of Australian volunteers that support a large number of public domain science research projects.

Some may have heard of the SETI program that the University of California, Berkeley started some time ago. This new system has grown from those humble, if somewhat dubious, beginnings.

Now we donate spare computing time to scientific research in to medicine, astronomy, mathematics, accelerators, colliders, satellites, climate, diseases and many other useful studies. Even the update version of SETI is there. A new project is coming on line at the moment. It searches for Near Earth Objects (NEO’s) and has funding from NASA. It will be a very popular research project.

If you could help us, your commitment, no matter how small or large, will be greatly appreciated. BOINC@AUSTRALIA is currently placed tenth in the world for the amount of work done but we are under threat from big teams in France, Germany and the US of A. Not to mention a number of international teams. Let's show the world what Australians can do.

If you like, there is a link to the team forum at the top of the main web page and you can browse many of the topics. Guests can post if they add their e-mail address in the appropriate place. We have a very friendly forum too.

We have a great set of guides for new members in the team forum. If you have any trouble just send me a personal message and I’ll see if I can’t get someone to give you a hand. :wink: Why should I have all the fun?!

I hope to see all 80,000 Exetel members :shock: there very soon.

Cheers,

Mike Mitchell
For BOINC Australia

Country Bumkin

Post by Country Bumkin » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:33 pm

Well charity is nice but some incentive is likely to much more effective. I suggest you lobby the philanthropic Exetel management to provide some modest reward for participation, since they profit from offering off-peak plans that have thousands of customers computers running all night doing little but downloads.

An example is the easynews.com http://www.easynews.com/wcg/info.phtmlbonus for participation in the World Community Grid (WCG), http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ (I notice that BOINC@AUSTRALIA seems to be in that project.)

I suggest about IG of peak quota for 20 days of run time, with a maximum of 1G per month !
Regards C Bumkin

austdata

Post by austdata » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:51 am

Sorry Country Bumkin,
But I can't speak for Exetel however the idea that you may help find a cure for disease that, at sometime in the future, you may be suffering from is its own reward. :roll: Also, helping to find NEO's should be fairly rewarding. Even if, according to all the disaster movies, NEO's only ever fall on America (YES!! :punch-fist-in-air:). :wink:

Cheers,

Mike

tocpcs

Post by tocpcs » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:15 am

austdata wrote:Sorry Country Bumkin,
But I can't speak for Exetel however the idea that you may help find a cure for disease that, at sometime in the future, you may be suffering from is its own reward. :roll: Also, helping to find NEO's should be fairly rewarding. Even if, according to all the disaster movies, NEO's only ever fall on America (YES!! :punch-fist-in-air:). :wink:

Cheers,

Mike
WOW. Even in Space garbage dumps can be found easily.

Country Bumkin

Post by Country Bumkin » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:55 pm

austdata wrote:
Sorry Country Bumkin, But I can't speak for Exetel ...

I didn't think my post implied you spoke for Exetel but I did encourage you to speak to Exetel management. Your team promotion is presently a fading post in a distant corner of the forum, if your enthusiasm was directed at Exetel to make this kind of activity part of the business then you have the opportunity to make a much bigger impression.

The intention was for you to convince Exetel that your enthusiastic team spirit would be good for the business if associated with Exetel and applied to many more customers. While appealing to altruistic goodwill will have some effect I contend that exploiting the 'petrol price effect' (the irrational amount of effort people will expend for a small saving) would be far more effective at increasing participation, this is what easynews.com have done.

A good case would add substantially to your teams effort and improve Exetels customer goodwill, or in corporate spin, a win - win outcome.
Regards C Bumkin

austdata

Post by austdata » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:47 pm

G'day All,
Is anyone interested in this idea? Is it worth while my asking other ISP's to allow such a team recruiting post?

Cheers,

Mike
For BOINC Australia

tocpcs

Post by tocpcs » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:04 pm

I'm not sure they take off too well.
The concept is very well formed, and certainly has a lot of merit, but who is going to willingly get involved?

Those already involved obviously see the sense in it, but then what happens next format? You are then recruiting more again later on.

austdata

Post by austdata » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:35 pm

Recruiting is a never ending process already. Trying to find new ideas is a bit of a pain. Not sure whether you mean "next (disk) format" or "next (BOINC) format"?

Thanks for the comment too.

Cheers,

Mike