Improving Exetels Support Functions - Phase III

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
cwong74

Post by cwong74 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:54 pm

i think the key is to have actual time frame to solve the fault. I have applied for a new connection on the 13/3 and the estimated activation date was 31/3. Then on the 2/4, i have limited access to internet but my phone has no dialtone and till now it is still not solve. Telstra said that it is Optus problem and Optus says that it is Telstra problem ....big headache

dsheludko

Support is fine

Post by dsheludko » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:21 pm

A little bit of feedback from a minority which may otherwise go unheard:

I'm a fairly confident user, who runs linux, and wanted to say that I think the support infrastructure that exetel has already implemented is sufficient, and does not need significant upgrades which may add to the cost of plans.

I realise that I am perhaps a member of a minority class of users, however what attracted me to Exetel was that it was reported to be "low-cost, bare bones, know what you're doing or tell someone who cares!" For me, this was a big plus. I don't need someone to hold my hand while I setup my connection, and don't want to pay for the support infrastructure required for such a service to be available to others. If this is really wanted, perhaps an optional extra on plans could pay for access to a dedicated "Have you power-cycled the modem?"-level support line?

Most people I know who don't feel confident setting up their connections will call a friend or relative to give them a hand during install. I know this because I'm usually that friend or relative. However, the fact that my grandmother (now in her late 70s) recently managed to install and configure her own ADSL connection and wireless router, without my assistance, would suggest that if a few more people would RTFM before they plug and pray, support lines would be available for actual fault reports, and access costs may remain lower.

I've never had to call the exetel telephone support line, but have dealt with exetel support staff via email and web-submitted forms, and have found their service prompt and accurate. I appreciate being able to get my messages and requests through to someone who can understand them, rather than having to spend 30 mins on the phone to a call center employee armed with a script whose length would rival War and Peace, who thinks that when I'm talking about MAC addresses, I'm running OS X! (That actually isn't an exaggeration - Optus support line, 2 weeks ago, thought MAC address was something to do with Apple!).

So while there are probably many people asking for telephone instructions on how to configure XYZ modem with XYZ operating system, I would remind them that often this information is already available (check whirlpool), and perhaps a little reading might be in order. There are also numerous PC user groups throughout most metropolitan areas who are willing to help, and even a few in country areas. And if my grandmother, (who grew up before TV, let alone the internet!) can do it, surely a few others can, too.

So thanks, exetel, for not making me pay for everyone else's techsupport (yet!), and sorry in advance to those I've just offended! :)

-Dave.

3lusiv3

Post by 3lusiv3 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:37 pm

^^^ That's a good post.

IanS

Post by IanS » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:41 pm

Make a downloadable help file in a .PDF format with sections on

1) How to configure different modems, VOIP, email settings etc
2) Basic trouble shooting (how to do an isolation test, how to check your modems logon details, how & where to install ADSL filters etc)
3) How to contacting Exetel for support when your ADSL service is down
4) What to do when your application is rejected by Telstra/Optus for what ever reason

This file could be emailed to new users when they first sign up, and download link placed on the Exetel website

Ian

neb

Re: Suggestion

Post by neb » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:45 pm

edwar64896 wrote:Exetel, it appears to me, has always been a company that primarily likes to promote itself to those "in the know". I would like to suggest that a good way of improving local support for internet users is perhaps to have a network of local support providers - people who might have some time to visit a local subcriber that is having problems getting set up. As per usual, it would be exetel subscribers that are "in the know" helping out people that are "getting up to speed".

You could create a registry of people and their locations that are willing to help, and people could register questions either by phone or SMS - emailing a voicemail out to a local provider who could respond or acknowledge the call.

Responses to support questions would allow a user to build up an account credit which could be used to offset their monthly fee.

just a suggestion...

Mark
An ISP is exactly that, an ISP, it is NOT micro$lop support , it's not Exetels job to teach you how to send emails, how to use or configure outlook, it is an ISP's job to provide you with the details you need to access their services, Exetel did not design outlook, explorer, msn, icq, irc, ftp or even firefox, too many people think it is an ISP's job to support micro$lop software, they think it is their job to tell you how to and what to click on blah to access this that or whatever in outlook so you can get emaills well, sorry, no, its not their job, it is as I said their job to provide you with the server/user details you need to access them, but to find out what where and how, you talk to micro$lop, they wrote the crap, not Exetel!

Vikstar

Post by Vikstar » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:18 pm

If possible, I'd like to see more frequent updates of my usage, rather than once per day.

Btw, thanks for being the best ISP. I've been using you guys for around 2 years now and loving it :D

drnick_

Post by drnick_ » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:05 am

would like to give a huge +1 to dsheludko's post above..that sums it up nicely. and i know how you feel about being that "friend or relative to give them a hand during install" :)

Being an IT professional that has worked in tech support for the last 7 years, the main driver for me choosing exetel was the fact that there wasn't a hold-your-hand help desk, in order to keep the costs down, which is then passed onto us in the form of the best value plans around

It is also the driver for me recommending that my parents don't bundle in their phone line with Exetel, as they do want the 24x7 hold-your-hand support in case there's an issue.

What im trying to say in a rather long-winded way, is that at the end of the day, im sure the majority of subscribers would hope that Exetel sticks to their original ethos, and not succumb to the ideal of having all users subsidise a support infrastructure that only a smallish percentage of users will utilise.

However, there are times that even the most experienced of users have to contact support. Aside from a rather rocky start to my ADSL2+ connection, its been pretty solid for the last 15months or so. THe few occasions where there has been problems seem to have been solved via the automated fault logging system. If it is not already well-communicated to new users, it might be worthwhile re-enforcing to them that the automated fault logging will fix the majority of problems that fall into the category of "it was working yesterday, today its not, and im 100% sure nothing has changed"

Thanks guys, keep up the rad plans :D

shawnf

Re: Improving Exetels Support Functions - Phase III

Post by shawnf » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:28 am

ForumAdmin wrote: If you have any suggestions then, as always, they are welcomed and will be considered.
The only suggestion I can say to this is LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMERS!

It took me over 3 weeks to get connected and for 2 of those weeks it was a constant battle to ring you guys and a request 4-5 times to send a technicial out as your guys knew nothing of how to fix the issue. Once the technician turned up it took him 30-45 minutes with his router connected to the exchange to find the problem at the exchange and get it fixed. (and about 20+ minuites of that was on hold to powerrel)

No matter how many times I ran or who I spoke too it was almost impossible to get someone sent out and believe me by the end I was starting to yell at the support staff because nothing was getting done. I had agreed to the $200 call out fee if it was my equipments fault every time.

Finally someone came out and I was happy. Sadly I am to move some time in the next 2 months and the exchange I am going to does not have Powertel/Optus :(

Graham C

Post by Graham C » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:35 am

An idea that just sprang to my mind is to have new users directed to an information page the first time they open their browser, containing whatever information you would like to make them aware of. A big 'please go away' button would of course be necessary for those users who think they don't need the information.

Craig Ballard

Post by Craig Ballard » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:54 am

IanS wrote:Make a downloadable help file in a .PDF format with sections on

1) How to configure different modems, VOIP, email settings etc
2) Basic trouble shooting (how to do an isolation test, how to check your modems logon details, how & where to install ADSL filters etc)
3) How to contacting Exetel for support when your ADSL service is down
4) What to do when your application is rejected by Telstra/Optus for what ever reason
I was going to suggest a similar thing. I thing I would like to add to this would 'What happens next" after someone has just signed up so they just sit around wondering when things will happen.

It's when you internet connection is down you need your number that on a website that you now can't get to. Having this in your email (hopefully an off line version, not Hotmail etc) you can then reference this PDF and do some basic checks before contacting the support team.

I have had to ring the automated call system several times and have had no problems with this. The first time was a bit unknown but it worked.

I think for users who don't know what they are doing they just need something to follow and having this they can print this out keep it next to there computer and hopefully be happy. All fails they can look up your number in the PDF can call you.

Also you have never stopped people to call you direct and select option 2 to speak to a real person.

Thanks for all your support and continuing to improve your service through asking your customers. Great Job.

LC

Post by LC » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:05 am

One of my most frequent problems, and I'm sure this applies to many users is the modem, a Netcomm NB9 supplied by exetel. The setup instructions provided by exetel were pretty hopeless and gave no explanation of various parameters in the setup. I sometimes have to refer to them when the modem loses its setting, and I am usually somewhat baffled.

There is obviously a simple step-by-step way to set up each modem, and that should be provided by exetel with each different modem they supply.

The other most frequent problem is again with the modem which a couple of times a month decides not to work. I have to go through a boring and time-consuming dialogue with the modem setup, resetting setups and rebooting the modem. After a few goes it starts working again. Surely there is a better way to do this. Extel give no indication on their website as to why this happens and who is at fault. I know a number of users with the same problem, and potential users who will not sign up to exetel because they are daunted by the tasks mentioned above.

Clear simple instructions, clear simple explanations would certainly help. Your website is pretty much a dog's breakfast, and the ticket system unsatisfactory with emails bouncing around and often days to get a response, which is often unhelpful.

Dr_Snapid

Post by Dr_Snapid » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:23 am

dsheludko said: A little bit of feedback from a minority which may otherwise go unheard... and so on.

Solid gold mate. I couldnt have said it better.

The people who need help should pay for it. They save money the months they dont need help, like everyone else. The users who never need help, because the read the manual or 'call a friend' shouldnt be paying for other's support services. If you dont know what it means when your SYNC light goes red, read the manual! You got one with the modem...

When there's been a genuine problem that the manual cant help with, I have found exetel's support to be top shelf, particularly compared to the other ISPs I have had to deal with. This applies to phone and email, even after hours. The forum admins can be blunt, its true, but they are very prompt and this is getting to be a large and active forum, so they are kept busy. Many times, kept busy by time wasters.

There are exetel dealers - Perhaps they need to be listed in the support section? For some customers an onsite visit by a dealer would be the best approach. Of course they pay for it, but even if it's $88 an hour, which is a common rate, they save more than that by being with exetel in the first place.

I think Exetel have the basic concepts already there, yes some refinement to the support processes could me made, but I really appreciate their efforts.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Martin V
Exetel Staff

Re: Improving Exetels Support Functions - Phase III

Post by Martin V » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:31 am

shawnf wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote: If you have any suggestions then, as always, they are welcomed and will be considered.
The only suggestion I can say to this is LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMERS!

It took me over 3 weeks to get connected and for 2 of those weeks it was a constant battle to ring you guys and a request 4-5 times to send a technicial out as your guys knew nothing of how to fix the issue. Once the technician turned up it took him 30-45 minutes with his router connected to the exchange to find the problem at the exchange and get it fixed. (and about 20+ minuites of that was on hold to powerrel)

No matter how many times I ran or who I spoke too it was almost impossible to get someone sent out and believe me by the end I was starting to yell at the support staff because nothing was getting done. I had agreed to the $200 call out fee if it was my equipments fault every time.

Finally someone came out and I was happy. Sadly I am to move some time in the next 2 months and the exchange I am going to does not have Powertel/Optus :(
I believe that a majority of cases we would need customers to agree to any fee for service before having a tech sent out, regardless of what customers believe the issue maybe it is a part of our procedures. It's not matter of a script but we are trying protect ourselves from such charges that is why we need customers to agree to it in order to go a head with getting the fault fixed.

Knowing powertel now it would take them a considerable amount of time to perform tests on their end as well as booking out the tech.

Because of these issues Exetel has now stopped using their ADSL2 services until they rectify the current problems with their provisioning and fault rectification processes.
Martin
eXeTeL Support

Dr_Snapid

Post by Dr_Snapid » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:31 am

LC wrote:One of my most frequent problems, and I'm sure this applies to many users is the modem, a Netcomm NB9 supplied by exetel. The setup instructions provided by exetel were pretty hopeless and gave no explanation of various parameters in the setup. I sometimes have to refer to them when the modem loses its setting, and I am usually somewhat baffled.

There is obviously a simple step-by-step way to set up each modem, and that should be provided by exetel with each different modem they supply.

The other most frequent problem is again with the modem which a couple of times a month decides not to work. I have to go through a boring and time-consuming dialogue with the modem setup, resetting setups and rebooting the modem. After a few goes it starts working again. Surely there is a better way to do this. Extel give no indication on their website as to why this happens and who is at fault. I know a number of users with the same problem, and potential users who will not sign up to exetel because they are daunted by the tasks mentioned above.

Clear simple instructions, clear simple explanations would certainly help. Your website is pretty much a dog's breakfast, and the ticket system unsatisfactory with emails bouncing around and often days to get a response, which is often unhelpful.
If your modem keeps losing it's setting it almost certainly has nothing to do with exetel. Even if you ordered it from them, you really bought it from Netcomm. I know this isnt as clear as it should be and many dont realise this. I know Netcomm's support can be a pain too but once again, not Exetel's fault. You can go to Harvey Norman and buy your modem if you like, and you wont get any better service from them.

I have never yet seen a modem which, after a factory reset, needs anything more than inserting the correct username and password. You have the manual, you have the username and password. 9 times out of 10 that gets your ADSL up. Then you get online help to assist with VOIP and NAT and all those questions that arent so urgent anyway.

As for "no explanation of various parameters in the setup" there are only 2 paramters which matter to get you online. Thats the username and password, both of which you have. I dont think Exetel should be left to help you with the features of your modem. Yes they offer the ability to run a game server and use VOIP and so on. But using the modem you bought and have the manual for should really be your responsibility.

Sorry that turned into a rant.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:35 am

LC wrote:
1) One of my most frequent problems, and I'm sure this applies to many users is the modem, a Netcomm NB9 supplied by exetel. The setup instructions provided by exetel were pretty hopeless and gave no explanation of various parameters in the setup. I sometimes have to refer to them when the modem loses its setting, and I am usually somewhat baffled.

2) There is obviously a simple step-by-step way to set up each modem, and that should be provided by exetel with each different modem they supply.

3)Extel give no indication on their website as to why this happens and who is at fault. I know a number of users with the same problem, and potential users who will not sign up to exetel because they are daunted by the tasks mentioned above.

4) Your website is pretty much a dog's breakfast,

5)and the ticket system unsatisfactory with emails bouncing around and often days to get a response, which is often unhelpful.
1) I'm assuming you are aware of the modem set up wiki and are referring to this entry:

http://exewiki.exetel.com.au/index.php? ... etcomm_NB9

Personally, I can't see how these instructions are either confusing or incomplete but I would appreciate you, separately to this forum, advising us of how you would like to see these instructions changed. Please email your suggestions to:

jamesd@exetel.com.au

2) We have tried to do that, with the assistance of many Exetel customers by setting up this wiki. Perhaps you could make some suggestions on how this can be improved?

3) We don't know such a problem exists and, if it does, it would be dealt with by the manufacturer under warranty.

4) Not very helpful. If you could point out how the web site should be improved than we will consider your suggestions.

5) Again, not very helpful and, again, if you would like to point out how it could be improved we will consider your suggestions.