Improving Exetels Support Functions - Phase III

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
ymo

Re: Bad Move Exetel

Post by ymo » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:53 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: You are right in that it's difficult to see that anyone in Australia who uses broadband doesn't also use a mobile phone - however you are an example.
I am another ADSL user without a mobile phone - never had one, probably never will.

I do have internet access & voice mail at work so should be covered if my home ADSL ever fails.

rayzorb

Free Spam/Virus

Post by rayzorb » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:54 pm

I would appreciate a free spam filter as currently 99% of my email from my exemail account is junk.

I know you can pay $2 extra, but would rather it be free :)

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:21 pm

arachnologist wrote:

I can agree to the fact that when I am not connected I am still required to log my fault online - I can always use my neighbor's connection or go to the nearest Internet cafe.
You are wrong.

1) 24x7x365 you can use the keypad of your telephone to log a fault - you don't need any internet connection.

2) During business hours you can call either a 1300 or 02 number and discuss your fault with a support ENGINEER (ie: a person who has an engineering degree who does not read from a script nor will he/she ever be asked to read from a script).

http://www.exetel.com.au/contact.php

Obtaining Information From Exetel

Logging Faults With Exetel 24 x 7 x 365
If you have internet access the very fastest way to resolve any problem with your Exetel service is to open a fault ticket on line. This can be done twenty four hours a day, seven days a week. Your ticket number will automatically open a fault within the Exetel fault resolution process and you will be given the ticket number by email within a few seconds of concluding your telephone call so that at any time after you open the ticket you can, if you have internet access, check on the progress/resolution of your problem. To open a ticket on line go here:

https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au/

or telephone:

02 9927 1000 or 1300 788 141

austdata

Post by austdata » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:24 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
austdata wrote:
James D wrote:There is already a 1300 number, it has been listed on the site for over 6 months.

Phone (National): 1300 788 141
Can we use the 1300 number Australia wide and do away with the 02 number for NSW?

Mike
The 02 number is very useful for VoIP users who can dial Exetel at a cost of 10 cents for an unlimited call.

Depending on who you use for wire line telephony the cost of a 1300 call is around 25 cents.

For some people 15 cents is an amount they would prefer not to spend if they can avoid it.
Can we get some advertising for the 1300 number? It's rarely displayed.

Perhaps it can be emblazoned across much of this forum, in conjunction with with 02 number of course?

Cheers.

Mike

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Re: Free Spam/Virus

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 pm

rayzorb wrote:I would appreciate a free spam filter as currently 99% of my email from my exemail account is junk.

I know you can pay $2 extra, but would rather it be free :)
The SPAM filter costs us $2.00 a month.

This cost will decrease if enough Exetel sers take up the service but that will take a while at the current rate.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Re: Bad Move Exetel

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:26 pm

ymo wrote: I am another ADSL user without a mobile phone - never had one, probably never will.

I do have internet access & voice mail at work so should be covered if my home ADSL ever fails.
As quoted in the post above - you can always use a telephone to log afault 24x7x365.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:27 pm

austdata wrote:
Can we get some advertising for the 1300 number? It's rarely displayed.

Perhaps it can be emblazoned across much of this forum, in conjunction with with 02 number of course?

Cheers.

Mike
It's reached from the front page and every other page(contact):

http://www.exetel.com.au/contact.php

vicbitter

Re: Re: re: Re: Bad Move Exetel

Post by vicbitter » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:01 am

John Dalton wrote:My parting comment is that you should forward this up the chain to John Linton. I think this issue will have a negative impact on Exetel's business when it does not have to. As an owner Mr Linton can run the business as he sees fit and can choose to ignore this issue but you do him and Exetel a disservice if you do not bring it to his attention. Thank you for your time.
Get off your HH...:P

From my point of view:

They are trying to improve things, and you're being totally negative. Even my mother has mobile, she's 65+ and I never thought I would see the day she had one. And my brother too...they still have passbooks.

1. SMS'ing is better for me, and probably, I guess, 95% of other users. Yes, you can email it as well I suppose, but it *is* an improvement. Even though 'you've disproved it'.

2. Mobile internet is not an option for prepaid, real Vodafone, and probably most other low cost mobile plans (bar maybe Exetel). For me personally it would cost $1 for every time the phone checked my email. As the papers said today, 85%+ of phone users do not use there internet capabilities because of prohibitive costs.

Oh, and of course, FA=JL, in case you didn't realise..

CassSmith

SMS notification

Post by CassSmith » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:51 am

I see one problem with the SMS notification system. Not all people have mobile phones!

While I understand you are trying to improve the system, the SMS notifications will need to be done by voice for those without.

This appears it might have been considered but not implemented fully as no details have been provided about how this will be handled for those still on land lines.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Re: SMS notification

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:37 am

CassSmith wrote:I see one problem with the SMS notification system. Not all people have mobile phones!

While I understand you are trying to improve the system, the SMS notifications will need to be done by voice for those without.

This appears it might have been considered but not implemented fully as no details have been provided about how this will be handled for those still on land lines.
The implementation is still in the future - but we are testing it now.

The final version will be that a voice mail message will be sent if there's a land line number given as the contact and an SMS sent if there's a mobile number given as the contact.

This doesn't address the issue of no-one answering the land line and we will work on re-dialing unanswered land line calls.

oldman

Post by oldman » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:25 am

ForumAdmin wrote:The final version will be that a voice mail message will be sent if there's a land line number given as the contact and an SMS sent if there's a mobile number given as the contact.
Between the email I was sent and the information in this thread, I am still confused. When I go to the contact page it lists a 'Contact Phone', 'Contact Mobile', and 'Contact FAX'. I don't have a FAX so I left it blank, I do have a mobile so I filled Contact Mobile with the details. That leaves Contact Phone, and as the only other phone I have is a landline I assume that's what I'm meant to enter there, which I have. Will I be sent a voice mail message or an SMS if contact needs to be made?

cryptwizard

Post by cryptwizard » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:51 am

SMS for mobile and a (recorded?) voice message for landline.

And hopefully the system will be smart enough to not call the landline when there's an unresolved problem with the landline.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:03 am

oldman wrote: Between the email I was sent and the information in this thread, I am still confused. When I go to the contact page it lists a 'Contact Phone', 'Contact Mobile', and 'Contact FAX'. I don't have a FAX so I left it blank, I do have a mobile so I filled Contact Mobile with the details. That leaves Contact Phone, and as the only other phone I have is a landline I assume that's what I'm meant to enter there, which I have. Will I be sent a voice mail message or an SMS if contact needs to be made?
The system, when it is completed, will first look for a mobile number and if there is no mobile number will then look for a land line number.

A very high proportion of our customers work during the day when we are trying to finalise appointments for a carrier engineer to go to their homes and the SMS/Mobile is going to be a more workable option.

We will continue to refine this process once it's in use.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:04 am

cryptwizard wrote:SMS for mobile and a (recorded?) voice message for landline.

And hopefully the system will be smart enough to not call the landline when there's an unresolved problem with the landline.
Another reason why a mobile is preferred.

dean_goddard

Customer Support Improvement Email - Tue, April 15

Post by dean_goddard » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:44 am

In regards to your latest email, I've done as you requested - "One of the improvements is to replace all email contact during a fault resolution process with SMS or Voice to your nominated mobile telephone number." - and changed my contact number to my mobile number.

But on that profile page I now have Contact Number: {my mobile number (was my home land line number)}, and Mobile Number: {my mobile number}, along with Fax Number which I don't have.

Why not simply add a check box next to the Mobile Number text field that indicates "Please SMS me any fault resolutions etc.", and by default it is opt-out ie: not checked.

That way should you now or in the future wish to contact me at home (because for what ever reason my mobile is not available) you have an alternate "back-up" method. You could also use this land line number as another piece of information to verify that I'm calling you.

Please understand that I'm not expecting the land-line to be part of an automated response system though nor do I have a problem the automated response system sending me an SMS to my mobile. Just merely you will be losing an important piece of business information that you may require.

And from a web-design and user interface point of view - its lazy. You could alternatively remove the Contact Number text field from the page and you already have your answer. I just seems a bit silly to have two fields on a page, that both contain the same data, yet one has a hidden agenda (ie: not explained on the page) as to it's function and is expected to contain a value that it's label doesn't clearly state.

By the way I'm a Software Developer.