Latency Q for ADSL1 Speed change

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
Urban Jungle

Latency Q for ADSL1 Speed change

Post by Urban Jungle » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:21 pm

Hey all,

I am currently on the TELJ plan and am looking to go to the TELN plan.

My one concern due to probably misinformation is that going from the speed of 1500 to 8000 will increase my latency due to interleaving or some such type of thing. Someone else said to me no that is rubbish you will notice no difference in latency. (Which is what I am hoping).

I figured a much better idea was to get this info straight from the horses mouth. Super techo dudes what is the answer for this one please as the extra speed would be nice but in saying that I play online games so would not like latency to increase and if it is going to only by a little bit.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Latency Q for ADSL1 Speed change

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:15 pm

Interleaving will definitely increase your latency. For ADSL2+ services (and on particular modems) you can choose Interleaved mode (for more stability) or Fast mode (for low latency). It looks like it makes about a 10-20ms difference in ping delays, though this differential can vary (i.e. if you were previously getting 10-20ms, you may observe 40ms on 8Mbps. If you were previously getting 30-40ms anyway, you shouldn't notice much increase at all). In the end, it shouldn't be too significant for casual gaming.

The question is also whether the 8Mbps Telstra resold ADSL plans still have *forced* interleaving on them. I suspect they do, so I would predict you may see about a 15ms higher latency, but this is just a guess based on what I have read in other forums, etc.

Urban Jungle

Post by Urban Jungle » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:32 pm

So.. going from 1500 to 8000 to get this speed they interleave it? I know going from 512 to 1500 makes no difference. Hmm I am still tempted but it could end up being a $50 test if going to 8k sucks which I am hesitant to do especially as then I would have to put up with a month of bad pings.

CLoSeR

Post by CLoSeR » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:54 pm

Urban Jungle wrote:So.. going from 1500 to 8000 to get this speed they interleave it? I know going from 512 to 1500 makes no difference. Hmm I am still tempted but it could end up being a $50 test if going to 8k sucks which I am hesitant to do especially as then I would have to put up with a month of bad pings.
I found little to no noticeable increase in latency going from 1536 to 8192 ADSL1.

Its really not worth worrying about that much.
Need to log a fault ticket? Go here: https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au/

Urban Jungle

Post by Urban Jungle » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:43 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'll give it a go I reckon :).