Off Peak Time

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
ForumAdmin

Re: Off Peak Time

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:06 pm

jok11n wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:Thank you to the 200+ users who moved your timed downoads to after 2 am.
given the majority of users wouldn't even know it might be worth adding something to the next newsletter that goes out to at least get a few more willing participants on board
I'll do that.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:50 pm

gong_guy wrote:What are you supposed to do with the off Peak time between 12 midnight and 2am?
Who says you have to utilise 100% of your bandwidth at any given time. How about "do nothing during 12 midnight and 2am"? Maybe leave the computer and read a book instead; it will help your sleep routine and you can still schedule your downloads to commence at 2am instead.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:52 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
gong_guy wrote:What are you supposed to do with the off Peak time between 12 midnight and 2am?
Who says you have to utilise 100% of your bandwidth at any given time. How about "do nothing during 12 midnight and 2am"? Maybe leave the computer and read a book instead; it will help your sleep routine and you can still schedule your downloads to commence at 2am instead.
given that the off peak times are eastern time I'm sure users in other parts of the country would appreciate the delayed start also

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:20 pm

machntom wrote:As of my witness, and from what Exetel have proposed, they are not getting anywhere because saying to schedule downloads at 2 am instead of 12 am is going to cause the same drama as now people are downloading at 12 am. It will dis encourage the use of the ISP Exetel, therefore bringing it to complete consolidation and consideration throughout many people who would like to take up Exetel as their ISP service provider.

Another element that is significant and has confused many people is that Exetel should highly respect their customers privacy, time of internet use and download P2P access. It is highly been stated under a privacy act of law and Internet Service providers are not allowed to act in such remark. As of apparency in this matter, there has been no evidence to prove that the changes will be made as such yet: The primary aim of this forum is to provide a place for Exetel users to find answers to questions and to obtain information to make better use of their Exetel services. Statements made on this forum do not constitute any "official" Exetel position", Exetel has CLEARLY stated that the statement used on the Exetel forum is to discuss, and does not show OFFICIAL status unless all customers of Exetel are notified of a change/topic. If Exetel had planned on doing this they would have notified ALL of their customers by email/phone otherwise it would be considered illegal in terms of customer appreciation.
After wading through your longiloquence and legalese (I wish people would use simpler English to communication), I assume you are saying two things:
  • That moving P2P downloads from 12 to 2am will not be effective, and will in fact be detrimental
  • That Exetel are somehow in breech of privacy law
A few responses:
  • Exetel provide 12 hours of off-peak time. Many other ISPs provide only 6 hours.
  • This thread is only to encourage users to alter their download behaviour to aid in download management. It is not an ultimatum, nor is it an announcement of any new rules or conditions. What is being discussed, amongst other things, is that the usage between 12 midnight and 2am has increased to the point where Exetel have had to implement traffic management methods but that these methods can be relaxed if enough people were to defer their downloads by a mere 2 hours.
  • Exetel can and do respect customer privacy but this thread has absolutely nothing to do with privacy. You may be confusing the issue with "net neutrality" which is just a concept not a law. Exetel retain the explicit ability to reduce bandwidth to P2P applications if the need arises and at Exetel's sole discretion. This is an explicit clause in Exetel's terms and conditions and is perfectly legal.

austdata

Post by austdata » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:39 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:[*]Exetel can and do respect customer privacy but this thread has absolutely nothing to do with privacy. You may be confusing the issue with "net neutrality" which is just a concept not a law. Exetel retain the explicit ability to reduce bandwidth to P2P applications if the need arises and at Exetel's sole discretion. This is an explicit clause in Exetel's terms and conditions and is perfectly legal.[/list]
I'm not sure but I had the feeling he felt it was restricting his access to Christian downloads or something along those lines. Not sure he used the word "Privacy" in the correct context.

Cheers,

Mike
The views I present here are not necessarily those from my brain.
Exetel's support number outside Sydney: 1300 788 141 NOTE: I do not work for Exetel.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:23 pm

CoreyPlover wrote: After wading through your longiloquence and legalese (I wish people would use simpler English to communication)
whenever things like this come up there's always some bush lawyer that wants to blow things totally out of proportion, par for the course I guess :roll:

renwick

Post by renwick » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:49 pm

Can I just get one thing clear? So is the problem right now (or when this thread was started) is/was that all the P2P downloaders conflicted with the late night surfers/gamers which resulted in slower speeds for everyone?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:35 pm

renwick wrote:Can I just get one thing clear? So is the problem right now (or when this thread was started) is/was that all the P2P downloaders conflicted with the late night surfers/gamers which resulted in slower speeds for everyone?
That might be one unfortunate byproduct. The intention however is that P2P traffic is throttled (in aggregate) to allow HTTP and gamer traffic through unimpeded, but gaming traffic can easily be misclassified as P2P due to the non-standard ports leading to severely throttled (and hence unplayable) gaming traffic.

I think it is more likely that the driving reason is that Exetel simply don't want to be forced to throttle P2P traffic. It places a burden on their hardware and it has a negative impact on Exetel's image. They would much rather be an ISP that works with their users (by encouraging a mutually sustainable system), rather than against them (and being forced to weigh commercial considerations against customer benefits).

srssms

Post by srssms » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:25 am

I'm seeing many more beneficial speeds since this new policy came in, 12AM is use able again :D

Browsing feels like onpeak, this is working very good.

jtickner1

Post by jtickner1 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:14 am

I've never noticed a problem with my browsing and gaming after midnight, it's all been fine for me. I'm not in favour of making the off-peak session start at 2am unless it's absolutely neccesary. I don't start any of my P2P transfers until 2, 3 or sometimes 4 in the morning but I do most of my online gaming inbetween 11pm and 2am so it doesn't use as much of my on-peak downloads.

I don't think it's un-fair to suggest to people to make them start their downloads a couple of hours later either, there's still 10 hours, what is going to be so big that will take longer than that or that you can't wait another day for?

srssms

Post by srssms » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:41 am

jtickner1 wrote:I've never noticed a problem with my browsing and gaming after midnight, it's all been fine for me. I'm not in favour of making the off-peak session start at 2am unless it's absolutely neccesary. I don't start any of my P2P transfers until 2, 3 or sometimes 4 in the morning but I do most of my online gaming inbetween 11pm and 2am so it doesn't use as much of my on-peak downloads.

I don't think it's un-fair to suggest to people to make them start their downloads a couple of hours later either, there's still 10 hours, what is going to be so big that will take longer than that or that you can't wait another day for?
From what I see it looks like people start downloads at 2AM and the network returns to a normal clone of peak usage at 6AM.

If 2AM offpeak time frame of the current offpeak system starts, could we have some sort of system like the FairPlay where users can opt in for a 2 hour offpeak usage where by they can only download 600MB in that time frame so it is not credited to their onpeak usage?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:35 am

As I said in a previous post - now that some sensible timed down loaders have moved their timer to start at 2 am or later the future possible problem has been removed and no further consideration of making any change to the 12 midnight to 12 noon 48 gb download period will be given.

Again, a thank you to those people for their prompt response to the request.

srssms

Post by srssms » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:22 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:As I said in a previous post - now that some sensible timed down loaders have moved their timer to start at 2 am or later the future possible problem has been removed and no further consideration of making any change to the 12 midnight to 12 noon 48 gb download period will be given.

Again, a than you to those people for their prompt response to the request.
I just hope those users keep your word for it and don't start going back to old habits and starting their downloads around the 12AM mark.

Deus Sceleris

Post by Deus Sceleris » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:13 am

You want me to throttle back my offpeak to after 2am? Will do!

supernicko

Post by supernicko » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:11 am

More than happy to help. I would have loved an email earlier though as it is simply something that never had crossed my mind.