New Concept ADSL Plans

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
vk3xem

Re: Possible New Concept ADSL Plans

Post by vk3xem » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:16 pm

hornet48 wrote:"I get some free sms on my mobile with Telstra"

"Its nice to only have one (1) bill to pay each month"
How many free SMS? Consider Exetel's web based SMS, first 20 for the month FREE and only 5 cents there after! If she ported her mobile phone to Exetel the cost of each SMS is only 15 cents and would only get one bill.
hornet48 wrote:I pointed out that she's using voip regularly - (I set her up with an ATA last year)......... and pays that automatically through her credit card.
Maybe consider putting her VoIP with Exetel also, same bill and it is competitively priced.
hornet48 wrote:It seems to me that she has been led to believe that if all her comms (telephone, mobile and broadband) are with one supplier, there are cost savings so substantial that nothing else could compete.
This can be the case, but certainly not the case with Tel$tra! If I were you I would work out the costs of each of Exetel services she would use and present it to her. I have all but my landline with Exetel now and very happy with the service and cost. The only reason the landline is not with Exetel is that it isn't in my name.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

hornet48

Post by hornet48 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:04 am

vk3xem wrote: If I were you I would work out the costs of each of Exetel services she would use and present it to her.
I agree. I plan to do that when I receive her usages, costs etc from her.
vk3xem wrote:I have all but my landline with Exetel now and very happy with the service and cost.
I use Exetel for voip, mobile, ADSL2+ and PSTN phone (at 2 locations in Qld). I have also recently subscribed to the HSPA C2 plan.

I have helped a number of family members and acquaintances to consider Exetel and move to them.

But in some cases, although the $$ savings were easily demonstrated, some decided to stay with their current supplier due to the relative importance they placed upon "other" reasons (some I consider to be quite "irrational") ..... you can lead a person to water, but they make the decision to drink!

H.

Ventura_20

Post by Ventura_20 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:22 pm

If these are concept plans, when's the next exetel management meeting for this concept to be discussed? I for one think having this as a side option (keeping all current plans intact) is a great option and will really make exetel unique. Exetel then can just bill people for whatever they use. Not sure how this would effect their revenue (fluctuation) whether it would be a pro or a con.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:34 pm

Ventura_20 wrote:If these are concept plans, when's the next exetel management meeting for this concept to be discussed? I for one think having this as a side option (keeping all current plans intact) is a great option and will really make exetel unique. Exetel then can just bill people for whatever they use. Not sure how this would effect their revenue (fluctuation) whether it would be a pro or a con.
We will introduce 'PFWYU' plans in November as options to the current plans.

We have delayed doing this in October because of the need to sort out various pricing issues and two anomalies.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:55 pm

We think we should make these plans 'pre-paid' - meaning that:

1) The plans access fee is billed monthly in advance just as all other plans are

2) The customer buys a 'block' of 5 gb or 10 gb of downloads in advance and can top up that amount in 5 gb or 10 gb additions at any time

3) If the customer 'forgets' they are running out of 'download credit' they get an on screen warning at 1 gb remaining, 500 mb remaining and then 250 mb remaining.

4) If they continue to use the service without 'topping up' they get blocked with a screen that allows them to pay by credit card to immediately re-activate the service.

Country Bumkin

Post by Country Bumkin » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:11 pm

ForumAdmin wrote...
2) The customer buys a 'block' of 5 gb or 10 gb of downloads in advance and can top up that amount in 5 gb or 10 gb additions at any time
This approach is quite common as a newsnet subscription arrangement with the important distinction that the data block is non-expiring ie. lasts until the customer uses all the data without a time limit.
4) If they continue to use the service without 'topping up' they get blocked with a screen that allows them to pay by credit card to immediately re-activate the service.
Would direct debit also be available ? (saves the credit card fees)

Regards C Bumkin

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:18 pm

Country Bumkin wrote:ForumAdmin wrote...
This approach is quite common as a newsnet subscription arrangement with the important distinction that the data block is non-expiring ie. lasts until the customer uses all the data without a time limit.
Would direct debit also be available ? (saves the credit card fees)

Regards C Bumkin
2) Yes - the data has no time expiry.

4) I'm not sure - I don't think DD is immediate enough for releasing a blocked connection but it can be used to buy the 'data blocks'.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:06 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:4) I'm not sure - I don't think DD is immediate enough for releasing a blocked connection but it can be used to buy the 'data blocks'.
I would think that if someone was interested in an immediate unblock that a credit card charge wouldn't be such an issue

Col

Post by Col » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:38 pm

jok11n wrote:I would think that if someone was interested in an immediate unblock that a credit card charge wouldn't be such an issue
Then what about people who don't want/need it immediately and are just topping up to avoid going too low? The credit card fee is a bit of a bummer in that circumstance. Perhaps the top-up system could be coded so that you could get:
1) immediate credit via credit card (with a cc fee)
2) asap credit by bank debit, and
3) credit added to the next access charge bill, which is either paid by credit card (and avoids a 2nd cc fee) or bank debit, for people that plan ahead.

An idea leading on from point 3 would be allow people to set a minimum download allowance credit whereby if they are below it at the end of the month the system automatically adds xGB (set by them) to the next access bill. That would make it very simple for many people because they will only have to manually top-up in emergencies when their usage has spiked and they have run out of credit.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:16 pm

Col wrote:
jok11n wrote:I would think that if someone was interested in an immediate unblock that a credit card charge wouldn't be such an issue
Then what about people who don't want/need it immediately and are just topping up to avoid going too low? The credit card fee is a bit of a bummer in that circumstance. Perhaps the top-up system could be coded so that you could get:
1) immediate credit via credit card (with a cc fee)
2) asap credit by bank debit, and
3) credit added to the next access charge bill, which is either paid by credit card (and avoids a 2nd cc fee) or bank debit, for people that plan ahead.

An idea leading on from point 3 would be allow people to set a minimum download allowance credit whereby if they are below it at the end of the month the system automatically adds xGB (set by them) to the next access bill. That would make it very simple for many people because they will only have to manually top-up in emergencies when their usage has spiked and they have run out of credit.
Maybe I've missed the point - but what credit card fee are you referring to?

Once the actual code has been written I tink it will be ossible to use either cc or dd.

We don't want to make this service administration complicated by moving away from pay for what you use and top up whenever you choose.

Col

Post by Col » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:41 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:Maybe I've missed the point - but what credit card fee are you referring to?
The $1.10 Exetel add to the invoice when paying by credit card.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:38 pm

Col wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:Maybe I've missed the point - but what credit card fee are you referring to?
The $1.10 Exetel add to the invoice when paying by credit card.
I see.

It won't apply to top ups of these accounts.

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:19 pm

Will an auto-top-up option be available? ie tick a box and your usage gets topped up by the "block" you choose whenever you get to a defined amount. Similar to the prepaid etag toll passes which top up by $80 or $00 whenever your balance gets to $20. In this case I would like an auto topup of 5Gb whenever I hit 500Mb. I don't want to be prompted (read: annoyed/interrupted) each time, I just want it to happen. Otherwise it just becomes too much hassle and people will switch back to the non-nagging "normal" plans with other suppliers.

Also I would expect an email notification when this occurs so that I am informed of the pending debit to my bank or c/card.

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:34 pm

Would there be any chance Exetel would introduce line rental and local call provision for ADSL users? It might not be a cost saving (knowing Telstra it certainly wouldn't be!) but customers prefer to have everything on one bill. And for those who have ADSL and VoIP (and possibly mobile) with Exetel, that monthly bill from Telstra is simply annoying (even though using Homeline Budget makes it cheaper to choose Telstra if you've got Exetel VoIP).

dbr

Post by dbr » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:27 pm

peterh_oz wrote:Will an auto-top-up option be available? ie tick a box and your usage gets topped up by the "block" you choose whenever you get to a defined amount. Similar to the prepaid etag toll passes which top up by $80 or $00 whenever your balance gets to $20. In this case I would like an auto topup of 5Gb whenever I hit 500Mb. I don't want to be prompted (read: annoyed/interrupted) each time, I just want it to happen.
I think this is a good point/idea. It has been a 'feature' of the other low cost pre-paid VOIP providers (eg MNF, PennyTel), though they call it auto recharge, I think.

When the credit in your account hits a user nominated trigger amount, an automatic user nominated recharge amount is debited against the user's nominated payment method, usually CC.
http://www.saferoz.com.au
First Aid * Fire * Safety