"Negativity/"Sh**storm" On 'Whirlpool'

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
karLos

Re: "Negativity/"Sh**storm" On 'Whirlpool'

Post by karLos » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:53 pm

what kind of guy reads user help forums to their kids at bedtime anyway?

fancy!

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:41 pm

a1077111 wrote:but as soon as you have a beef, then customer's are shown the door.
Not true at all. Have a glance through the forums to get a feel for the level of aid and knowledge provided by volunteers and fellow users. There are regularly threads where customers are so pleased they have created a new thread just to thank the people who helped them with their issue.

Prior to this $3/month charge introduction, previous changes and initiatives were to the customers advantage (increase quotas twice in the last 6 months or so, P2P caching systems, cheap pay-as-you-go HSPA plans, etc). Plus, I can't think of any other ISP where the management is so finely tuned to customer sentiments; many of Exetel's initiatives come directly from user suggestions: SMS and fax to email and vice versa, desktop and phone ExeSMS applications, etc.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:05 pm

a1077111, the recommendation you have received is completely valid. Exetel provides a good service, remarkable innovation, and a willingness to help individual problems you won't find elsewhere. How do I know? I have been a customer from almost the beginning of Exetel (I actually spoke to FA about joining when he was still setting up his premises, but I then foolishly procrastinated). Nothing has ever made me feel I made the wrong decision, and I have years of experience in IT.

Now, one of Exetel's attractive features is the ability to throw around ideas, and gripes too, with the management. The boss likewise has the freedom (or "courage" ) to harangue us about what he thinks. It's quite refreshing, and this section of the forum is reserved for that sort of exchange. When one considers that Exetel has been subjected for years to pointless and ignorant attacks in Whirlpool, stirred vigorously by trolls, I have some sympathy for FA, even if I personally wouldn't have said quite what I was thinking.

Exetel has not to my knowledge unilaterally altered the terms of unexpired contracts, unlike some, so on occasion discontented or potentially disadvantaged customers have been given the right to break without penalty. That is a positive aspect of Exetel, not a negative.

Sometimes a circular email appears to someone to be bluntly phrased. Well it is a business communication, not a personal letter, so just extract and digest the message, and forget looking for emotions. These things aren't specially phrased to slyly dig at some individual. Most ISPs don't talk to you at all.

This forum has also been told of a very small number of un-named customers who have committed quite astounding abuses month after month, and who appear to have not had their contracts renewed at the end of its term, as any business is entitled. Unfortunately they know how to feed the Whirlpool trolls!

You ought to look at this thread, and ponder whether it could ever occur on Bigpond, etc. Exetel to date has been a good place for me to be.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:18 pm

karLos wrote:what kind of guy reads user help forums to their kids at bedtime anyway?

fancy!
The poster you are referring to has no children.

afristralian

Post by afristralian » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:33 pm

Look i don't want to sound mis-informed, but is all this about the $3 admin charge? (I mean, what stemmed the whole Wh0relpool fiasco?

If that is indeed the case i honestly think people should move along if they are not happy with an increase that costs less than a bottle of coke at your nearest coles/ww/other. Dont mean to jump off topic, but dont let them realise a 600ml bottle costs more than a 2Litre! From the looks of this, they will riot.

Just pay the damn fee and shut up, or move along and shut up (I recommend Dodo as a great provider *wink wink* ... but either way just shu... you get my meaning.

Exetel is by far the best ISP ( no frills or bull). If anyone that joined did not pick this up from the email guidelines that say don't contact us if you cannot setup your email from these instructions <-- ie: if you are stupid dont use us, is well ... stupid.

Childish I tell you.

ps: If i am missing the plot on this one (ie: its not about the price increase) just remove my post and drop me a whim calling me an Idiot (wont be the first time)

austdata

Post by austdata » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:41 pm

G'day Afristralian,
You're right, the $3 charge isn't the point. There are about seven people who seem to spend all their time posting lies and disinformation about Exetel where ever they can and Whingepool is the most popular haunt.

By complaining about the $3 long enough, people will forget about the $10 decrease and huge bandwidth increase that occurred just a while before.

This is a common and very simple way to undermine a competitors business. It is my belief that it is being perpetrated by directly or indirectly by AAPT. Who themselves are struggling financially and with large customer losses. (sorry I don't have a link to the newspaper article - can anyone help?). Our First Form Economics class were taught about some of these techniques many years ago. (I enjoyed that lesson :mrgreen: )

Exetel could perhaps scotch the rumours with legal action but the collateral damage and costs would probably exceed the current problem.

Feel free to pop into Whingepool and post your own opinions. :wink:

Cheers,

Mike

PS: Sometimes is easy to spot the posters that are full of shyte. They contradict themselves in the same post, claiming to be Exetel customers and then say they have moved. Funnily enough, to AAPT or EFTEL.
The views I present here are not necessarily those from my brain.
Exetel's support number outside Sydney: 1300 788 141 NOTE: I do not work for Exetel.

matt231

Post by matt231 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:13 am

I just want to put my point of view forward on this:

As you know, there (was) a thread going about the OP of this thread - I have whimmed the mod of the Exetel forum on whirlpool and said it can probably be closed (the mod is an exetel user, BTW). She agreed, and the thread is now closed.

I think that ForumAdmin had every right to say what he did - after all, it is his forum and I can understand how frustrating the australian telecommunications business is, and how when you see reps from other ISPs trying to bring you down, it can get frustrating. I don't agree with the fact that it was said in public which was a bit unprofessional, however like I said at the start of the paragraph, he is the admin and he can do what he wants.

I disagree with what was said about Whirlpool. I am a regular user there, and I'm sure you've noticed what goes on in the TPG forum is 100 times worse than what goes on in the exetel forum, and I think instead of pulling out and pretending it isn't happening, that the Exetel reps should just avoid the trolls and herring them if they are particularly bad - after all, that is what herring is for.

flak

Post by flak » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:47 am

matt231 wrote:I think instead of pulling out and pretending it isn't happening, that the Exetel reps should just avoid the trolls and herring them if they are particularly bad - after all, that is what herring is for.
Regardless of what an Exetel rep stated on Whirlpool it would be ignored or contorted to fit the argument of some posters, it's just the nature of internet forums.

There are enough experienced Exetel users on Whirlpool to offer assistance or information.

This forum provides a greater wealth of Exetel specific knowledge for users who are seeking assistance or information.

Personally I would prefer support staff focus on supporting Exetel customers rather than crafting Whirlpool responses which are only going to be ripped apart by Whirlpool users who have no real stake in the issue, requiring yet another carefully crafted response.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:57 am

flak wrote: Personally I would prefer support staff focus on supporting Exetel customers rather than crafting Whirlpool responses which are only going to be ripped apart by Whirlpool users who have no real stake in the issue, requiring yet another carefully crafted response.
I'm sure Exetel would prefer that also :)

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:48 am

flak wrote:Personally I would prefer support staff focus on supporting Exetel customers rather than crafting Whirlpool responses which are only going to be ripped apart by Whirlpool users who have no real stake in the issue, requiring yet another carefully crafted response.
As someone who used to (many moons ago) post on Whirlpool as an Exetel rep, I couldn't agree more :D No matter how politely and helpfully I wrote, it wouldn't please some people. Too much effort and heartache for too little satisfaction at a job well done - I got sick of being beaten up on just for trying to help.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:38 am

At the beginning of this thread I said that it was designed to achieve three objectives. Each of the objectives has been achieved. They were:

1) To underline that the people, and I use the word in its loosest possible context, that were making the most, and the most negative, posts on the thread in question were not in fact Exetel customers but deranged sociopaths from EFTel/aaNet and Internode.

2) To draw attention to the Whirpool moderator of the Exetel threads that he/she really should take some action to prevent those particular d***heads from continually, and constantly, peddling their lies and to stop a handful of morons from destroying whatever value Whirlpool's ISP section had to general users.

3) To increase sales of ADSL services by gaining more attention to Exetel (sales increased 25% over the 7 day period the thread in question was active in a time frame where the reverse could have been expected).

I, more than ten years ago, became fascinated with the ways that 'ill wishers' could be manipulated to actually promote something using web fora and more recently blogs - I think I know a great deal about how to do that now and am generally successful in using these very valuable tools.

austdata

Post by austdata » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:05 pm

ForumAdmin wrote: 3) To increase sales of ADSL services by gaining more attention to Exetel (sales increased 25% over the 7 day period the thread in question was active in a time frame where the reverse could have been expected).
Now I like that. :mrgreen:

Mike
The views I present here are not necessarily those from my brain.
Exetel's support number outside Sydney: 1300 788 141 NOTE: I do not work for Exetel.

CrackerJak

Post by CrackerJak » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:55 pm

I must admit I'm guilty of having a rant on whirlpool about speed issues, thankfully I've come to the realization that whirlpool rants get you no where. This forum is now the only forum i use when experiencing technical difficulties (which are very rare). My speeds are good to excellent which means I'm rarely on this forum :D .

As long as Exetel is providing a great value quality service i can't see myself with any other isp.

For the record whirlpool is the best site I've found for comparing Australian isp prices and staying up to date on the internet situation in Australia (although its that depressing i don't want to know about it at the moment!), but certain forum sub-sections on whirlpool are best left alone.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:56 pm

CrackerJak wrote: For the record whirlpool is the best site I've found for comparing Australian isp prices and staying up to date on the internet situation in Australia (although its that depressing i don't want to know about it at the moment!), but certain forum sub-sections on whirlpool are best left alone.
It appears that only the "ISP Section" is debased by morons - the other sections appear to be as you decribe them.

jayday

Post by jayday » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:53 pm

Mod Delete
Last edited by jayday on Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.