"Negativity/"Sh**storm" On 'Whirlpool'

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
fredbucket
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:02 pm
Location: Abbotsbury

Re: "Negativity/"Sh**storm" On 'Whirlpool'

Post by fredbucket » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:42 am

ForumAdmin wrote:At the beginning of this thread I said that it was designed to achieve three objectives. Each of the objectives has been achieved.

3) To increase sales of ADSL services by gaining more attention to Exetel (sales increased 25% over the 7 day period the thread in question was active in a time frame where the reverse could have been expected).
Now that the thread has 'died down' as it were, has its effect on the sales figures died down as well?

Regards
Fred

ForumAdmin
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: "Negativity/"Sh**storm" On 'Whirlpool'

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:07 am

fredbucket wrote: Now that the thread has 'died down' as it were, has its effect on the sales figures died down as well?

Regards
Fred
Sales have dropped back to 'usual' patterns now.

Maybe we should give those morons referral bonuses?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 2970
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: "Negativity/"Sh**storm" On 'Whirlpool'

Post by jokiin » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:37 am

ForumAdmin wrote:
fredbucket wrote: Now that the thread has 'died down' as it were, has its effect on the sales figures died down as well?

Regards
Fred
Sales have dropped back to 'usual' patterns now.

Maybe we should give those morons referral bonuses?
what is the saying, 'there's no such thing as bad publicity' :wink:

ForumAdmin
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: "Negativity/"Sh**storm" On 'Whirlpool'

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:13 pm

jok11n wrote:
what is the saying, 'there's no such thing as bad publicity' :wink:
It's actually more to do with the credibility of the person doing the slandering.

If your best friend, who you knew was knowledgeable about a topic then you would be inclined to accept his view.

When someone who is clearly a d***head makes a slanderous comment the overwhelming majority of people are likely to dismiss his view and almost always assume the opposite is true.

The d***heads who take every opportunity of slandering Exetel on Whirlpool quickly become known for what they are and their efforts simply create more awareness of Exetel. When they can be trapped into actually directing people to a site where a casual visitor will see that what their slander isn't in any way true - then they produce a notable increase in sales - as on this occasion.

It's an art not a science but it works more often than not. In this case I simply worded a post a little ambiguously and, after the d***heads had taken the bait, I 'realized my error' and changed a few words and.......

bodogbodog
Posts: 286
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: "Negativity/"Sh**storm" On 'Whirlpool'

Post by bodogbodog » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:27 pm

Forum Admin

Has Exetel's policy on employees participating on WP changed for 2009?

The reason I ask is that a user MartinV has posted on WP asking in a couple of threads for support call reference numbers so they can investigate issues

Post 1 - http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... #r17659487

Post 2 - http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... 115478#r15

If they're not from Exetel I'm not sure how they can make the offer?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 2970
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: "Negativity/"Sh**storm" On 'Whirlpool'

Post by jokiin » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:37 pm

bodogbodog wrote:Forum Admin

Has Exetel's policy on employees participating on WP changed for 2009?

The reason I ask is that a user MartinV has posted on WP asking in a couple of threads for support call reference numbers so they can investigate issues

Post 1 - http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... #r17659487

Post 2 - http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... 115478#r15

If they're not from Exetel I'm not sure how they can make the offer?
not sure about any changes, I think it might have been better though to just refer the customers to this forum for assistance if that was the case

ForumAdmin
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: "Negativity/"Sh**storm" On 'Whirlpool'

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:40 pm

I've asked Martin to enrol on that forum for one purpose only.

That is to respond to people who make strange assertions about:

1) Weird claims about 'advice' received

2) Claims about long telephone delays

3) Claims such as "I was told they only have one person answering the phones"

All these were in one post I was emailed.

If our new Sri Lankan support operation is as bad as this post indicated I thought it was a good idea for the manager concerned to see what was being said.

I realised this particular post was almost certainly total rubbish and was simply a troll post (at least I sincerely hope it was) but I thought it would be best to investigate whether there is some problems with our systems and processes and, as a side benefit, the trolling posts of 'pretend Exetel customers' would be exposed while this was being checked out.

bodogbodog
Posts: 286
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: "Negativity/"Sh**storm" On 'Whirlpool'

Post by bodogbodog » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:59 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:I've asked Martin to enrol on that forum for one purpose only.

That is to respond to people who make strange assertions
He should probably "register" or whatever the process is as a ISP Representative to comply with WP code of conduct - http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/?tag=WP_RepCoC

I suspect we will now see a rash of Exetel baiting with threads posted on the Exetel forum on WP about slow response rates and unanswered call

Troll bait - and no matter how factual the answer they will keep coming with assertions

or am I being cynical?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 2970
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: "Negativity/"Sh**storm" On 'Whirlpool'

Post by jokiin » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:00 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
I realised this particular post was almost certainly total rubbish and was simply a troll post (at least I sincerely hope it was) but I thought it would be best to investigate whether there is some problems with our systems and processes and, as a side benefit, the trolling posts of 'pretend Exetel customers' would be exposed while this was being checked out.
it's frustrating sometimes sitting back knowing that some of the stuff there is made up and all the fanbois jumping in on the fake attack :evil:

ForumAdmin
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: "Negativity/"Sh**storm" On 'Whirlpool'

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:45 pm

I doubt whether anything will ever change in that regard.

However if Martin cannot get a ticket number then it will serve the purpose.

If he does get a ticket number then we can see what has gone wrong with our 'standard' reporting systems that don't show that sort of issue.

Dealing with customer problems is very black and white - there either is a network/line problem or there isn't.

If there is a network/line problem then it's either fixed or it isn't.

The fix time is either within the designated time or it isn't.

We have systems that respond to all customer tickets and then fix all problems that are monitored every second of every day.

If there is something that we have overlooked then it is worth while trying to find out what that might be.

Everything else is user error - which we don't have an automated system to deal with but we do have a 'network' of over 500 agents, this forum and IRC has a five year history of dealing with - increasingly effectively.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 2970
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: "Negativity/"Sh**storm" On 'Whirlpool'

Post by jokiin » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:40 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
However if Martin cannot get a ticket number then it will serve the purpose.
I see he has already caught one user out, the one that was complaining that Exetel had disconnected his service, the disconnection request originating from the users IP address although the user is still claiming not to have done it :roll:

Old Flame
Posts: 212
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:08 pm
Location: Wollongong, NSW

Re: "Negativity/"Sh**storm" On 'Whirlpool'

Post by Old Flame » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:16 am

It's not only in whirlpool this is happening, other forums I frequent often put shit on Exetel based on what they read from whirlpool, or if I have suggested Exetel in the past some knob will post a link to Exetel's presence there saying look at all the bad feedback. It's wrong but don't know what can be done about it as it's a level peg community in their terms.

I have often come back with why and they may say something about the director's pasts or whatever and I stick up for what the place has become since it's inception with all the knockers saying they will only last 2 months etc and that generally shuts them up as Exetel has been around long enough for them not to predict it's downfall in the next 2 months.

Just ignore them FA what else can you do? Apart from having people go into their sections and doing the same? I realise it affects your business long term but going off won't help.

ForumAdmin
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: "Negativity/"Sh**storm" On 'Whirlpool'

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:09 am

jok11n wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:
However if Martin cannot get a ticket number then it will serve the purpose.
I see he has already caught one user out, the one that was complaining that Exetel had disconnected his service, the disconnection request originating from the users IP address although the user is still claiming not to have done it :roll:
As any Exetel user knows the ONLY ways an Exetel service can be cancelled are:

1) by the customer going to the User Facilities and selecting the appropriate "Service Cancellation" process

2) Churning an ADSL service to another provider.

NO Exetel employee can cancel a service and any such customer 'email advices' are responded to telling the customer to go on line and cancel.

ForumAdmin
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: "Negativity/"Sh**storm" On 'Whirlpool'

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:13 am

Old Flame wrote:It's not only in whirlpool this is happening, other forums I frequent often put shit on Exetel based on what they read from whirlpool, or if I have suggested Exetel in the past some knob will post a link to Exetel's presence there saying look at all the bad feedback. It's wrong but don't know what can be done about it as it's a level peg community in their terms.

I have often come back with why and they may say something about the director's pasts or whatever and I stick up for what the place has become since it's inception with all the knockers saying they will only last 2 months etc and that generally shuts them up as Exetel has been around long enough for them not to predict it's downfall in the next 2 months.

Just ignore them FA what else can you do? Apart from having people go into their sections and doing the same? I realise it affects your business long term but going off won't help.
You are 100% correct.

I will continue to do that - ignore them.

In the case of Martin - I think it's appropriate, as part of the new 2009 operating plan, to address specific complaints of inadequate service (wherever they may appear) to ensure that there are no 'fall through the cracks' issues as we contine to ramp up the Sri Lankan company.

Martin's presence will be restricted to ONLY addressing posts that reference strange 'support problems'.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 2970
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: "Negativity/"Sh**storm" On 'Whirlpool'

Post by jokiin » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:08 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:
In the case of Martin - I think it's appropriate, as part of the new 2009 operating plan, to address specific complaints of inadequate service (wherever they may appear) to ensure that there are no 'fall through the cracks' issues as we contine to ramp up the Sri Lankan company.

Martin's presence will be restricted to ONLY addressing posts that reference strange 'support problems'.
a good approach I think

Post Reply