Government Content Filtering Trial

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
ForumAdmin

Government Content Filtering Trial

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:21 pm

The Federal Government has released its 'tender' basis for its filtering trial and details can be found here:

http://www.dbcde.gov.au/communications_ ... live_pilot

vk3xem

Re: Government Content Filtering Trial

Post by vk3xem » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:32 pm

Personally I think the Government should get off their ignorant arses and sort out the NBN debacle before wasting their time with this technically flawed filter that will screw our slimband services that we currently have.

1. Get Rid of Sol and the Mexican !@#$ Bandits!
2. Split Telstra into Retail and Infrastructure.
3. Give the NBN contract to Telstra Infrastructure and NOT let it deal directly with the public.

Then maybe,

4. If or when they implement the NBN then start worrying about net filtering.

I agree in concept to the filtering but from all I have read about it indicates that it will have far to many false positives and dramatically slow everyone's access to the Internet and that's the main reason I don't want it to proceed at this time.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:21 pm

I think this cartoon says it all:

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Klaas wrote:I think this cartoon says it all:

Nice to see you post again after all this time.

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:27 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:Nice to see you post again after all this time.
Thank you - I pop in from time to time, but often don't have anything cognizant to say :)

Peleus

Post by Peleus » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:36 pm

I didn't trawl through the documents or application forms, but out of interest what incentives do the governments give for ISP's to participate in the live trials? I imagine this software will live up to its name and probably slow down the net / cause problems, why would an ISP voluntarily do that?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:48 pm

Peleus wrote:What incentives do the governments give for ISP's to participate in the live trials?
From http://www.dbcde.gov.au/__data/assets/p ... terest.pdf:
Why should ISPs participate in the pilot?
  • Participation in the Pilot provides ISPs with an invaluable opportunity to inform the Government’s approach to ISP filtering.
  • ISPs will be recognised for their participation in the Pilot. This recognition will strengthen their brand image with the community.
  • Limited funding is available – for ISPs participating in the Pilot – to help defray the costs associated with the purchase and installation of content filtering equipment. Any solutions (including equipment and software) purchased that relate to participation in the Pilot will remain the property of the ISP at the conclusion of the Pilot.
  • Participating ISPs will be able to charge their customers on a commercial basis for more advanced filtering solutions (that is, solutions beyond blocking of the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) blacklist).
<sarcasm>Yay!</sarcasm>

Lonx

Post by Lonx » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:05 am

Oh yeah... that sounds like a good reason to lose a bunch of customers who jump ship

Maybe Telstra can accept it, pickup an award for 'Family ISP of the Year' and simultaneously lose 25% of their customer base. If only....

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:24 am

We are considering participating using Steve's preferred method which, subject to testing/proving, cost virtually nothing to implement and should have zero affect on any end user.

Alternatively we won't participate if there is any cost or we believe any traffic will be slowed down.

(I briefly thought that I could get someone as dumb as the Federal Government to pay for our Allot boxes but I am not that sort of person)

codywilson

Post by codywilson » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:35 am

Why not, Kevin likes throwing money at things to plug holes. Economies, failing auto industrie, babies ($1000 per child next month), stopping broadband investment... you name it he'll jam cash in it.
What you need to ask is whether the resale value of the boxes/software > the subsidised cost?
That's what you need to find out. Not whether it works, we know that already...

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:23 pm

codywilson wrote:Why not, Kevin likes throwing money at things to plug holes.
Hey don't knock him, he is getting me a new laptop and HSPA modem for Christmas! :lol:
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

Yoshi_900

Post by Yoshi_900 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:35 pm

is exetel going to be going on the pilot ? that would be soo gay if we did :( if we do i want mine turned off please :)

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:37 pm

I don't know if there is an opt out policy any more. :x

If I'm correct the dictatorship of the day will be enforcing it on us! (not Exetel)

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:01 pm

Yoshi_900 wrote:is exetel going to be going on the pilot ? that would be soo gay if we did :( if we do i want mine turned off please :)
If we decide we will, and we haven't made that decision yet, we will use null routing which shouldn't affect anyone's speeds in any way.

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:57 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:If we decide we will, and we haven't made that decision yet, we will use null routing which shouldn't affect anyone's speeds in any way.
If Exetel do take part and there is a large impact on speeds will the trial be terminated?

73 de Simon, VK3XEM