BUSH FIRES

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
vk3xem

BUSH FIRES

Post by vk3xem » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:31 am

I have just spent the night protecting a CFA Staging Area in Whittlesea and about to get a few hours sleep before going back on duty. The Firefighters, Melbourne Ambulance Service, St John Ambulance, Salvation Army, Red Cross and other services are still working hard in combating the fires.

Many communities have been wiped out and the extent of devistation is yet to be realised. My house is safe but many others have been burnt to the ground. I would like everyone to stop for a moment and thank all the Emergency Services for their continued dedication, also I'm sure many Exetel customers have been affected.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: BUSH FIRES

Post by jokiin » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:03 am

I'm about 6 or 7,000km's away but appreciate your efforts and the people like you who help out, good karma for you :D

Munka

Post by Munka » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:34 am

jok11n wrote:I'm about 6 or 7,000km's away but appreciate your efforts and the people like you who help out, good karma for you :D
I am a bit closer than jok11n, and for what it is worth vk3xem I have been in a similar situation during ash wednesday. And before that ash sunday in south australia.
I bow to the tireless efforts indeed heroism of our emergency service's .
I found this site for offers of help/need, http://blogs.abc.net.au/victoria/2009/0 ... ---or.html
Munka

dbr

Post by dbr » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:46 am

I am just over the ridge from you. I too appreciate all efforts made by our emergency services and associated volunteer organisations.

We had the Burwood Highway down to Upper Gully blocked due to the fire in Quarry road yesterday. That's only a short trip up and over the ridge through Tremont and then into the Dandenongs proper (which was part of the areas devastated during Ash Wednesday - 26 years ago, almost to the day > Ash Wednesday 16 Feb 1983)
http://www.saferoz.com.au
First Aid * Fire * Safety

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:14 pm

I used to lve in Panton Hill and I still have many frends and acquantances in the Upper Yarra Valley.

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:50 am

I have started a facebook group to spread the word about donating to the Red Cross (the official Victorian Bushfire Appeal). The more that join, the more publicity the appeal will get (especially overseas). I just hope that everyone donates, whether the join or not.

Facebook Group - Donate to the Australian Red Cross 2009 Victorian Bushfire Appeal

https://www.redcross.org.au/Donations/o ... ations.asp - Red Cross Bushfire Appeal Donations Page

Cexitime

Post by Cexitime » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:58 pm

Triple M radio station is gathering donations to give to Red Cross for those affected in Vic

You can go to www.triplem.com.au and just click the link to donate

They are also mentioning business that donate - some form of advertisement for those business' that give.

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:11 pm

There have been reports of bogus collectors in Melbourne going door to door without ID, so if people are wanting to donate please make sure it is going to where it is meant to.

I am about to start night shift back at Whittlesea in the CFA Staging Area, the disaster is is ongoing.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

jayday

Post by jayday » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:10 am

Duplicate Post
Last edited by jayday on Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Munka

Post by Munka » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:09 pm

It seems almost trite, but I hope you guy's are OK down there, the whole country is clearly behind you, and I wish you well.

I had a nervous couple of days, but my friends near Healesville are now contacted and safe, they, through luck, determination, fill in the blank, managed to save their hand built home, the only one on their road of four houses, though they lost both cars and all the outbuildings. Fortunately they where super prepared, though considering the conditions preparations seems to have played a lesser role than usual.

I have rung them a couple of times offering support, and hung up at the end of the conversation, totally uplifted by their attitude and determination, and their willing embrace of life, hang on who's supporting who :D

Their house is somewhat of a refuge currently as they are sheltering two other families.
Munka

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:39 pm

After 6 nights at the Whittlesea Staging Area I was taken Friday morning to the Northern Hospital with a possible TIA, very high blood pressure and exhaustion.

I am hoping to be out tonight and return to Whittlesea and keep helping.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:07 pm

Hi vk3xem

Thanks for checking in. I was getting concerned about you because you hadn't been on the Forum since last Tuesday. You have obviously been doing a marvellous job but now it might be time to start taking care of yourself.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

jayday

Post by jayday » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:15 pm

Mod Delete
Last edited by jayday on Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:59 pm

Thanks Gidget and Jayday.

Volunteer work is an important part of the Australian culture and is very rewarding. Depending on where you live Jayday there maybe many different ways you may be able to volunteer.

Have a look online at some of the different organisations that you might like to join. Many have junior or cadet prorammes that will prepare you for service by the time you turn 18. It will also look good on your resume.

St. John Ambulance, State Emergency Service, Fire Brigade, Red Cross, Aust. Volunteer Coast Guard Assoc. are a few that you might like to look at.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

Aquard

Post by Aquard » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:19 pm

Has Exetel considered making a donation to the Red Cross appeal?