Will Exetel resell Telstra DSL2?

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
Stich

Will Exetel resell Telstra DSL2?

Post by Stich » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:24 am

Hi there,

I live in pacific pines Gold Coast on a rim so I'm told that means we cannot get ADSL2 but apprently now ADSL2 of telstra is now working in that area as some users on whirpool have mentioned. I am extremly interested in ADSL2 as I often have about 6 PC's (home office) running off one ADSL connection and it's sometimes just not fast enough to share. I notice internode westnet and other now resell telstra adsl2.

Will exetel ever do the same?

I love exetel and would prefer to stay here but I would jump ship to get the extra speed.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Will Exetel resell Telstra DSL2?

Post by Dazzled » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:55 am

Now that Telstra has trapped new suburbs behind RIMs, or worse, Telstra's own FTTH, have you seen what it charges for ADSL2 plans? For a long while it was not wholesaled either. The tiny number of current retailers are also very expensive. You won't get Exetel's extras, and ask what Telstra thinks of budget savers like VoIP.

Exetel management has stated a few times that the wholesale price is too great to make a commercially viable offering. The present policy is to minimise the number of ADSL1 customers connected via Telstra (moving people wherever possible to Optus or Powertel equipment).

Before you sup with the Devil purely for bandwidth reasons though, try to find out from a neighbouring customer what speed can actually be had at the home. ADSL2 is distance dependent, (the RIM acts as your mini-exchange) and usually is much slower than the advertised maximum. Few get the speeds in the ads.

Do the sums, depending on usage patterns it might be better to supplement your service with HSPA.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:35 pm

We were approached by Telstra Wholesale to resell their ADSL2 service and briefly considered it for reasons other than offering Telstra ADSL2.

We decided against doing it because we couldn't see how we could add any value to what we considered to be an overpriced service that was already being sold by several other ISPs other than Telstra.

Exetel's base premise for being in business is that if we can't offer the lowest price service in any area of product then we don't do it.

Stich

Post by Stich » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:06 pm

Thanks again for your transparant replies. Another reason why I love exetel. The main thing I was interested in was the upload. I'm making plans to turn most of our calls into VOIP and the extra bandwidth would help my router prioritise the traffic better. Perhaps I should just get another adsl1+ line and join them together with dratek router.

I understand your position. I was just excited for a moment there that I could finally get ADSL2. 2 ADSL1 lines may end up being cheaper and faster anyhow after the intial purchase of a new router.

Thanks again

Stephen
Exetel Customer

jayday

Post by jayday » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:21 pm

I would also like Exetel reselling ADSL2 also, since I cannot get Optus/PT because I'm on a sub exchange, the only way is Telstra DSL2 or Exetel ADSL1, now because I'm not insane to pay Telstra for a service that isn't worth the value, I got Exetel. I'm worried about my position at Exetel hence everyone’s getting migrated to the ADSL2+ network for PT/Optus and some of John's posts on his blog http://johnl.blogs.exetel.com.au/index. ... ......html

I would also like to get adsl2 via Telstra from Exetel, I know it won't happen because no one is a real fan of Telstra wholesale fees but maybe Exetel could bring in a bundling solution that needs a wireline service (http://exetel.com.au/v_national_call_rates.php) and could run an ADSL2 service via the Telstra network, I wouldn't really care about fees, the line rental could be $40.00 per month but at least I could get ADSL2 quality with the greatness of Exetel with it.

Guess Telstra once again limit my internet experience from adsl2 :(

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:28 pm

What would the effective throughput speeds be?

Consider Steve's blog:
http://steve.blogs.exetel.com.au/index. ... h-Use.html

Specifically, this image: