playing dvds on linux using VLC

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
karLos

playing dvds on linux using VLC

Post by karLos » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:55 pm

i'm about ready to give up on this one altogether.

i have searched and searched and found only posts from many years ago that don't even really describe my problem.

i am trying to get every day regular dvds (encoded ones, i guess) to play using vlc 0.9.4 on ubuntu 8.10. at the moment, everytime i insert a dvd and tell the OS to play it with vlc, the program simply closes itself. no useful error messages, no nothing. i don't know where to start with this, so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Munka

Re: playing dvds on linux using VLC

Post by Munka » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:02 pm

karLos wrote:i'm about ready to give up on this one altogether.

i have searched and searched and found only posts from many years ago that don't even really describe my problem.

i am trying to get every day regular dvds (encoded ones, i guess) to play using vlc 0.9.4 on ubuntu 8.10. at the moment, everytime i insert a dvd and tell the OS to play it with vlc, the program simply closes itself. no useful error messages, no nothing. i don't know where to start with this, so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
I am away from my linux box atm, but from memory..... go to administrator- software sources- and make sure restricted extras is ticked and then try searching 'codec' in synaptic and look for an entry called 'restricted extras codec pack'.
Munka

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:09 pm

Might be a CSS problem - have you read https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Restr ... layingDVDs?

It is essential to have all codecs and libraries installed - vlc and mplayer use their own mostly - they don't come as standard as Ubuntu wants the default download free of US restrictions. For this reason, always enable the medibuntu (media) repository as a matter of course https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu.

If all else fails rip the DVD with another app, but if all required libraries are present, VLC can play DVDs very well.

If you want an Ubuntu version already preconfigured for media, try the Linux Mint derivative.

PS Munka's package is 'Ubuntu restricted extras" in Add/Remove. It should always be installed in every home system.

karLos

Post by karLos » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:33 pm

i have followed the instructions on the ubuntu help page, and it changed nothing as i had all those packages installed already.

i don't really know where to start with vlc, because as soon as i tell it to play a dvd, the program simply exits itself.

karLos

Post by karLos » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:48 pm

i just did a complete remove of vlc (including config files) and reinstalled via the command line suggested in the ubuntu help - absolutely no difference whatsoever.

why would the program simply just kill itself? is there logging i can turn on? i havent been able to find any helpful looking reference to a logging feature.

edit: i found the logging feature. useless, though. it doesn't appear to actually log anything.

karLos

Post by karLos » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:11 pm

this is the closest i could find to my issue (though it still doesn't get it quite right).

http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=50283

they go on to say that "vlc doesnt work like powerdvd". it seems i have been mislead about this program. is it or is it not media playing software? it seems pretty well absolutely useless at the moment at playing dvds. i have found its interface particularly awkward and the configuration the least intuitive and most cryptic of any piece of linux software i have yet seen (and there is a lot of badly designed linux software!)

trying to achieve this simple task has become so frustrating and unpleasant, it seems easier at this point to simply boot into windows and use wmp. :(

enough self indulgent ranting...

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:43 pm

I'll go away and have a think, but yes VLC does play DVDs. It is probably the best all-round media player there is. Have you tried starting it from the terminal, so you get stderr printed out?

Aferthought: Have you also considered Ogle? A bit fussy, but may do the trick http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/groups/dvd/index.shtml (In the repos)
DVD::Rip may be a last resort https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DVD%3A%3ARip

karLos

Post by karLos » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:17 pm

thanks for your help - this has been the most frustrating thing!

but the most frustrating part is it seems now that the dvd i was trying to play has some kind of super protection death ray attached to it. i have tried two other dvds, one with no encryption (bang-worked straight away) and a dvd i knew was encrypted but it seems in a less serious kind of way, which i also got to work.

i need to play with this and learn to have more patience with computers in general, but particularly with linux since i'm new to it.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:30 pm

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:50 pm

Found in some Gentoo documentation:
Many newer Sony DVDs have ARccOS protection, which causes most programs to hang in the first few hundred megabytes on some corrupted sectors. VLC is able to rip these with this command:
# vlc dvdsimple:///dev/dvd@1 --sout "#standard{access=file,mux=ps,dst=/home/user/file.ps}"

The downside to this method is that it is considerably slower than ripping with other tools, but it is the only native linux tool that can rip these DVDs.

The reason I specify dvdsimple:/// instead of dvd:/// here is because on some DVDs, the menu is hardcoded to kick in right after the title finishes, and some versions of VLC honor this even when streaming to somewhere other than a video output device. This leads to VLC mercilessly and endlessly adding the menu video to the end of the title that we are trying to copy until you either hit the stop button or CTRL+C, which isn't the behavior we desire. Using dvdsimple:/// instead of dvd:/// disables the menu altogether, avoiding this problem.
K3b can rip most DVDs - worth a try also. In any case you won't find a better CD/DVD burner.

karLos

Post by karLos » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:19 am

i'm not really after ripping software per se as i already have some that works ok - but the irony that i will have to rip some highly protected dvds to merely watch them them is not lost on me. :o

thanks again for your help

TerryP

Post by TerryP » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:18 pm

This might give you an alternative to try:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=25406

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:47 pm

That's another implementation of Ogle, mentioned above. I am rather partial to Puppy though. Another super lightweight distro dedicated to playing media is Geexbox - worth a look - http://geexbox.org/en/index.html