Exetel's TV Commercial

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
James
Exetel Staff
Posts: 2014
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 10:27 pm

Exetel's TV Commercial

Post by James » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:24 pm

Hi All,

Exetel is about to film its first TVC, so we thought we would share it with you.
Please find the story board attached, which has dialogue, as well as the location.
Please ignore the boy, he is not the real talent.

We would be happy to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,

James and Mel
Attachments
Ad-Location.jpg
Ad-Location.jpg (205.12 KiB) Viewed 4014 times

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 5922
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:24 pm
Location: Melbourne, VIC

Re: Exetel's TV Commercial

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:01 pm

Quite innovative. Some responses I'd give are:
1. Restate the cost to make sure it doesn't get misinterpreted as being $500 per month. Either separate out into setup cost ($500 I assume) + monthly ($5 pm + 1.5c/MB usage?) or perhaps bundle the plan differently (lumping some or all of the set up cost into the monthly price with a contract). On the website, you can explain costs in more detail, including the amount saved per month compared to other technologies and how quickly the $500 is recouped, but I'd think that a $500 tag for broadband would makes viewers startle as they are used to seeing thing lower numbers, with setup or "total costs over 12 months" hidden in small print.
2. "cables, pipes or pricey satelites" should at least be "satellite dishes". Also, there are actually cables (one has to be run from roof aerial into back of modem) and "pipes" make him sound like Senator Ted Stevens so perhaps this part of the dialogue can be revised to indicate no reliance on existing infrastructure, no pricey satellite dishes. Maybe: "It's as easy as installing a new TV antenna"?
3. "Which means you can now do just about anything from just about anywhere you can get a mobile signal" - Two "just abouts" in there, which are (and will be identified by some people) as weasel words

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 2970
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Exetel's TV Commercial

Post by jokiin » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:18 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:Quite innovative. Some responses I'd give are:
1. Restate the cost to make sure it doesn't get misinterpreted as being $500 per month. Either separate out into setup cost ($500 I assume) + monthly ($5 pm + 1.5c/MB usage?) or perhaps bundle the plan differently (lumping some or all of the set up cost into the monthly price with a contract). On the website, you can explain costs in more detail, including the amount saved per month compared to other technologies and how quickly the $500 is recouped, but I'd think that a $500 tag for broadband would makes viewers startle as they are used to seeing thing lower numbers, with setup or "total costs over 12 months" hidden in small print.
2. "cables, pipes or pricey satelites" should at least be "satellite dishes". Also, there are actually cables (one has to be run from roof aerial into back of modem) and "pipes" make him sound like Senator Ted Stevens so perhaps this part of the dialogue can be revised to indicate no reliance on existing infrastructure, no pricey satellite dishes. Maybe: "It's as easy as installing a new TV antenna"?
3. "Which means you can now do just about anything from just about anywhere you can get a mobile signal" - Two "just abouts" in there, which are (and will be identified by some people) as weasel words
I agree the $500 is confusing, something about access starting at $5 a month though would be a nice to have, the just about anywhere you can get a signal might be a bit too broad also, you might have signal but not Optus signal, I could see Bigpond having a whinge about that

Munka
Posts: 289
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:22 pm
Location: Rural NSW

Re: Exetel's TV Commercial

Post by Munka » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:36 pm

I am not sure of the necessity of the yagi, is every install going to require one? I wouldn't think so.
Are the agency creative talent from the country, it actually doesn't look like it, have they actually been to the country?
The satellite isp that I have recently left to come back to exetel have recently launched their first TV ad campaign, it is aimed at country people (no surprise there) features country people and sells to country people, I don't think this story board does that, apart from the choice of location. :roll:
Munka

vk3xem
Posts: 910
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:45 pm
Location: HEALESVILLE
Contact:

Re: Exetel's TV Commercial

Post by vk3xem » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:36 pm

I love the concept of the webcam on his laptop! I reckon that is a powerful message in it's own right.

The sign should maybe read Exetel Country Broadband installed for just $500 and Plans starting from $5 a month plus usage.

I don't have an issue with the bloke's statement regarding coverage, except I think he should say Which means I can instead of the you can because he has already explained his experience of the techie coming out to him and it should just be a continuation of his Exetel experience.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Exetel's TV Commercial

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:59 am

The 'words' aren't final (and the $500.00 was just an indication of the number of words that would sensibly fit on the available area.)

Yes - two abouts are one too many - but bear in mind Telstra's tactics towards any other provider's ads - even a provider as tiny as Exetel.

I'm not sure what is inappropriate to "country people" - but if you care to spell it out or reference a video of the ad you referred to we'll get it looked at.

We'll get the word dish added.

Thanks for the feedback.

cubic
Posts: 161
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:19 am
Location: Lake Macquarie NSW

Re: Exetel's TV Commercial

Post by cubic » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:30 am

Could you get estimated coverage figures for HSPA using a yagi? If so, how about: "I can get real broadband internet right here at home. Chances are you can too - with an aerial like this network coverage extends to over 9x% of the population."
...the term 'Future Perfect' has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be - Douglas Adams

Munka
Posts: 289
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:22 pm
Location: Rural NSW

Re: Exetel's TV Commercial

Post by Munka » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:03 am

ForumAdmin wrote:The 'words' aren't final (and the $500.00 was just an indication of the number of words that would sensibly fit on the available area.)

Yes - two abouts are one too many - but bear in mind Telstra's tactics towards any other provider's ads - even a provider as tiny as Exetel.

I'm not sure what is inappropriate to "country people" - but if you care to spell it out or reference a video of the ad you referred to we'll get it loked at.

We'll get the word dish added.

Thank's for the feedback.
Yes sorry I went off like that, many country user do not know what a web cam is let alone the significance of the time critical nature of using it successfully, this ad seems to target the young ones, where as the ad that I referenced featured a 30 something father (the money earner on the land) with kids.
I will spend some time today trying to review that ad and attempt to make more sensible suggestions.
Munka

MarcusAureliusMaxima
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:59 am

Re: Exetel's TV Commercial

Post by MarcusAureliusMaxima » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:30 am

vk3xem wrote:The sign should maybe read Exetel Country Broadband installed for just $500 and Plans starting from $5 a month plus usage.
I wouldnt even quote a installation cost as the main point.

Spruik the low monthly plans (ie "2gigs for $22") You have got to catch peoples attention, not scare them away with costs before they know the benefits. Make statements which Telstra wont be able to get cranky over. Possibly "Capable of ADSL speeds*") *Where suitable coverage exists. Point here is that you wont be misleading customers - if the techie gets out the premises, and states to the customer what the signal strenght will be, then they are aware before the contract is commenced. Also - maybe when you qoute some price, put under it "metro and country".

Yes, make sure you clearly state "install costs apply" - but have that info on the website where you have more space and time to justify the cost againts satellite.

Also, a dedicated website like www.countrybroadband.com.au would be perfect, while you already offer the exact same service as Exetel, you should be considering this almost an emerging business unit. Similar concept to this site, exisitng companies, but new venture: http://solaroffer.com.au/

You can show off the technologies advantages over sattelite, get the customer to understand the process. Unwired site is perfect example. http://www.unwired.com.au/ Easy headings across the top. What is it > Where can I get it > How do I sign up > Support


Summary - TV ad should be the bait, website should be the hook. Not enough time or money for the ad to do both.

Col
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:55 pm
Location: NSW

Re: Exetel's TV Commercial

Post by Col » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:25 pm

Hmm... interesting concept for the ad. I like it.

I don't think you should really emphasise the setup costs in the ad because there will be people that it would needlessly scare off because they might be close enough to a tower to not need an aerial and for a 'techie' to come out. There are a few variables to the upfront charges too like if they choose a 24 month contract (makes the modem free?) and how much the agent charges to install the yagi, which makes putting a standard setup cost in the ad without explaining things a bit silly (unless you do "starts from" in front of the price for both no and 24 month contracts or something). Not everyone will read the website so you should put atleast something somewhere in the ad.

Hopefully the sign at the end is read out as well as held up, and that he brings it close to the webcam so that it is nice and big and readable.

Will this ad be the one that plays for the 5 consecutive months or will you create one or two new ones to freshen things a bit?

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Exetel's TV Commercial

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:42 am

Col wrote:Hmm... interesting concept for the ad. I like it.

I don't think you should really emphasise the setup costs in the ad because there will be people that it would needlessly scare off because they might be close enough to a tower to not need an aerial and for a 'techie' to come out. There are a few variables to the upfront charges too like if they choose a 24 month contract (makes the modem free?) and how much the agent charges to install the yagi, which makes putting a standard setup cost in the ad without explaining things a bit silly (unless you do "starts from" in front of the price for both no and 24 month contracts or something). Not everyone will read the website so you should put atleast something somewhere in the ad.

Hopefully the sign at the end is read out as well as held up, and that he brings it close to the webcam so that it is nice and big and readable.

Will this ad be the one that plays for the 5 consecutive months or will you create one or two new ones to freshen things a bit?
As we have zero experience we will make that decision when we have some facts to base it on.

Azza117
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:29 pm
Location: nsw, Australia

Re: Exetel's TV Commercial

Post by Azza117 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:41 pm

i just wanna see exetel expand and take over telstra!!!!

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 6003
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Exetel's TV Commercial

Post by Dazzled » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:24 pm

Azza, be careful what you wish for - that would involve becoming like Telstra.

rusty100

Re: Exetel's TV Commercial

Post by rusty100 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:22 pm

The theme for the ad is good but perhaps it is too targeted to young males with computer skills. It might do well as a viral ad on youtube

Older audiences might be soothed by some higher production values in the images - the higher values suggesting greater technical competence and profitability of the sponsor.

Cheers

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Exetel's TV Commercial

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:05 pm

rusty100 wrote:The theme for the ad is good but perhaps it is too targeted to young males with computer skills. It might do well as a viral ad on youtube

Cheers
What is "a viral ad on utube"?

Post Reply