jokiin wrote:along similar lines to what I was thinking, pretty poor really when 1% of your user base can cause so much of an issue for the other 99%
That's an interesting point to raise.
ADSL2+ connections are faster, and some users likely get them for performance, others for quota. The users getting them for the quota are simply maxing out the supplier links at that point in time. I guess this is why other providers are setting off peak at ridiculously late times where no one is affected (or no one will care).
I think the best solution seen so far is to split the periods or, as has been suggested, provide incentive.
The easiest incentive to implement would be to change off peak back to 12am - 12pm, and then change the counters: From 12am - 1am, the data has a 3x penalty, 1am - 2am, the data has a 2x penalty, and 2am onwards, you have your standard off peak until 10am, where the penalty is 2x.
This is simply another way of saying off peak is 2am - 10am, but it allows flexibility, whilst imposing some controls in the busier times that cross over with off peak (which as can be seen on the MRTG graphs, 12am - 2am WAS busy, and 10am - 12pm is starting to show as a busier time frame). The idea is a little complicated for all users to grasp (it's not as simple as saying '60GB between 2am and 12pm').
It's unfortunate that the link is underutilised at midnight to 2am, and again at 12pm to 6pm, the capacity is paid for - it's not being used. Saturday and Sunday in the weekly graph show an ideal trend - never dropping below 75%.