Exetel being annoying

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
sjaeger172004

Exetel being annoying

Post by sjaeger172004 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:19 pm

I have noticed in the latest newsletter (August 2009) It says and I quote "It would be in every Exetel user’s best interest to start any timed download at 3.00 am in the morning when the network has over 75% spare capacity.". Is this a possibility they are again reducing the "off peak" again like they did in August??? If so that will really annoy me as one of the main reason for going with Exetel was because of the off peak. Also I am also getting really annoyed about there never being available ports for my area for ADSL 2 which I am trying to get as I am only on ADSL 1 1.5mb.

JasonM

Re: Latest Exetel News Letter

Post by JasonM » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:27 pm

That is a suggestion that users move automated downloads to 3am - so that other users who are awake after 12am aren't affected by the sudden rush of traffic due to everyone starting automated downloads at the same time - they need to spread out in the periods where the traffic is at its lowest - this should help ensure Exetel can supply good service to those who are awake late at night.

JasonM

Re: Exetel being annoying

Post by JasonM » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:37 pm

sjaeger172004 wrote:never being available ports for my area for ADSL 2 which I am trying to get as I am only on ADSL 1 1.5mb.
We don't have any ADSL2+ infrastructure, our suppliers add ADSL2+ ports to areas they consider viable, as they see fit.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Exetel being annoying

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:10 pm

sjaeger172004 wrote:I have noticed in the latest newsletter (August 2009) It says and I quote "It would be in every Exetel user’s best interest to start any timed download at 3.00 am in the morning when the network has over 75% spare capacity.". Is this a possibility they are again reducing the "off peak" again like they did in August???
No, this is not a precursor to another off peak change and you should simply read between the lines. It says "it would be in every Exetel user's best interest" and that is exactly what it means. As bandwidth gets utilised more effectively less people experience service degradation due to congestion and it means Exetel can provide cheaper services, and/or increase quotas beyond what they otherwise could have with inefficiently utilised bandwidth.
sjaeger172004 wrote:Also I am also getting really annoyed about there never being available ports for my area for ADSL 2 which I am trying to get as I am only on ADSL 1 1.5mb.
This is completely outside of Exetel's control.