ABC iView unmetered and fast this evening

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
graham.miln

ABC iView unmetered and fast this evening

Post by graham.miln » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:25 pm

Our ABC iView introduction screen has changed. It claims our iView content is unmetered and provided via Cinenet. The connection speed has jumped to ~13,000 kbps.

Previously the ABC iView introduction screen showed Exetel, metered, and peaked around ~800 kbps.

Can anyone else confirm this change?
Attachments
Screen shot 2009-09-08 at 20.21.45.png
Screenshot showing ABC iView via an Exetel ADSL2+ connection.
Screen shot 2009-09-08 at 20.21.45.png (206.91 KiB) Viewed 3014 times

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: ABC iView unmetered and fast this evening

Post by Dazzled » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:39 pm

It's still metered Exetel for me I'm afraid.

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:49 pm

Never been to iView before, but I just visited the site and got the same message as Graham - unmetered, and the speed rated at around 15000. Also followed the link to the "unmetered ISPs" - Exetel is not on the list, so I'd not be keen to believe/trust the unmetered message ...

Old Flame

Post by Old Flame » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:58 pm

It would be fantastic if it was :D It's a worthy Australian channel and I would only use it for probably an hour a month for catchup. It was asked of JL a while back and it was a no back then though.. Mine says metered also.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:11 pm

The screen says it thinks you are with Cinenet (for whatever reason that may be).

As the usage meter works off the transferred data to your login at the routers, there's physically no way for the usage to be unmetered.

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:46 pm

I just visited iView for the first time also and it says Exetel is metered, as I expected anyway and why I haven't bothered visiting before.

I might give it a go in off peak some time as it would be interesting to see how it works on my 1500 connection.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

Old Flame

Post by Old Flame » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:56 pm

vk3xem wrote:
I might give it a go in off peak some time as it would be interesting to see how it works on my 1500 connection.
You should, it's first class! Should be OK, on your connection as long as you get a good download normally.

graham.miln

Post by graham.miln » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:19 pm

This evening our connection has returned to Exetel, metered, and at a lower reported speed of ~1,600 kbps.

Is there a link between Cinenet and Exetel's networks that might explain this behaviour?
Attachments
Screen shot 2009-09-09 at 18.15.56.png
ABC iView on an Exetel ADSL2+ connection.
Screen shot 2009-09-09 at 18.15.56.png (203.48 KiB) Viewed 2955 times

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:10 am

Ultra-crap for me this morning....

and

vs. last week:

Is there a problem with Exetel services at the moment?

See also: http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=284&t=33482

But no official word from Exetel yet....

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:51 am

Hit the top of the graph here this morning .....

pomonastik

Post by pomonastik » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:40 pm

i am really sad at the moment 'cos i'm going to have to change from exetel to another provider which i dread. i have enjoyed excellent service but the lack of unmetered access to ABC i-view coupled with the change to a 2am off peak has rendered exetel unusable for me and i am the decision maker in my home. family wont be pleased, neither the environmentalist missus who approves of exetel's stance on these issues, the downloading offspring but most all me because i hate changing my e-mail address, especially this close to the fire season as i am a fire lookout who relies on e-mail a lot for keeping in contact with home & family during the long days ahead.

does anybody know if i can maintain my current addresses by swapping them to my hspa account when i churn to another adsl supplier ?

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:53 pm

pomonastik wrote:i am really sad at the moment 'cos i'm going to have to change from exetel to another provider which i dread. i have enjoyed excellent service but the lack of unmetered access to ABC i-view coupled with the change to a 2am off peak has rendered exetel unusable for me and i am the decision maker in my home. family wont be pleased, neither the environmentalist missus who approves of exetel's stance on these issues, the downloading offspring but most all me because i hate changing my e-mail address, especially this close to the fire season as i am a fire lookout who relies on e-mail a lot for keeping in contact with home & family during the long days ahead.

does anybody know if i can maintain my current addresses by swapping them to my hspa account when i churn to another adsl supplier ?
Why don't you change to a 12 midnight to 12 noon plan if it's such a major issue?

pomonastik

Post by pomonastik » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:07 pm

thanks forum admin for your post. when the 2am change came in i did my best to check out all my options but either through my own ineptitude or the confusing plan structures that option did not seem to one open to me. i have revisted the 'change plan' page this evening but still can't see this option, let alone a) my existing plan (TELN) or b) any other plan to change to that relates to my current level of service. perhaps you could clarify where this can be actioned ?

i would like to add that the ABC service is VERY important to me and that IF i end up having to go shopping unmetered i-view would be my number 1 sales clincher. i would urge exetel to consider the merits of matching the market on this even if it were to be an extra-cost option. i would happily pay another $10 or so per month for such, especially if it were extended to SBS as well.

David R

Post by David R » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:44 pm

Hi pomonastik,

I consider the ABC important and reply thus
David R wrote: Depends when you are viewing it. if you're happy with am you can view it (freely, uncounted) all morning/ if it's pm you've a Prepaid/fixed quota above which incurs a low $3.00-$0.50 /GB for about 1 hrs viewing ie. $3.00-$0.00 metered 'depending' on when you use it, and you can always schedule it for morning i.e. Free.
There are ISPs who provide options for content and services but they're bigger and more costly than Exetel, big on promoting brands and picking winners while Exetel just provides bigger value.
As for your hours on Tel N, I understand Exetel is looking to make a 12 hour Off Peak available again but it is not certain when.

The plans on https://www.exetel.com.au/members/chang ... e_plan.php would be the place to check but (8Mbits) options appear suspended for the moment due to quality issues/pricing constraints.
You could expect this situation to be revisited in due course.

From memory, Tel N was/is a great plan, bit overpriced, but a great service for families sharing data. With its high speed capacity, Best I could recommend would be to try to schedule some programs.

http://download.cnet.com/GetRight/3000- ... 05533.html is one such manager.
With it one can "Schedule Download Start"
and/or "Schedule Download Stop"
- available from its Downloads menu.

ABC is downloadable from its site http://www.abc.net.au/tv/video/download ... vid=video1

For example, Past episodes of "At The Movies" are available from weeks back. Utilised simply as placing the URL (such as http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/tv/geo/atth ... 9_ep38.wmv) is placed simply in GetRight (press Ctrl-N)

4 am to midday(/2 pm) is a great time to schedule programming and view content as it suits.
*Vista Ultimate* Billion,7402GL &TP-Link,D-W8920G <Atten(dB)42 @1.9 km>; HTC Kaiser II, WM6; Pre-paid RP2000 (Optus)
200GB@3.1Mbps,$60pm Zone 1+ 2X H-Line Budget; WP Saver VoIP._ 220.233.165.22x; $3,450 revenue: 5 years club.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:27 pm

pomonastik wrote:
1)thanks forum admin for your post. when the 2am change came in i did my best to check out all my options but either through my own ineptitude or the confusing plan structures that option did not seem to one open to me. i have revisted the 'change plan' page this evening but still can't see this option, let alone a) my existing plan (TELN) or b) any other plan to change to that relates to my current level of service. perhaps you could clarify where this can be actioned ?

2)i would like to add that the ABC service is VERY important to me and that IF i end up having to go shopping unmetered i-view would be my number 1 sales clincher. i would urge exetel to consider the merits of matching the market on this even if it were to be an extra-cost option. i would happily pay another $10 or so per month for such, especially if it were extended to SBS as well.
1) Go to the user facilities/change plan

2) As has been suggested to you - use the uncharged off peak to download up to 70 gb of ABC content.

Alternatively find another ISP that provides the same very low monthly cost with the same very high downloads - personally I can't see one....but maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.