ABC iView unmetered and fast this evening

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
pomonastik

Re: ABC iView unmetered and fast this evening

Post by pomonastik » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:00 pm

1/ still no option to move back to a 12am to 12pm timing so that'll have to remain a mystery
2/ i can take a hint. i only wish sometimes we fireys could ask our 'clients' to select another service provider ! sadly we have a monopoly on a 24/7/365 full-flow service at a zero-cost tariff to maintain and any denial of service gets you a free trip to the coroner's court......

alinos

Post by alinos » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:22 am

not trying to start an arguement here but technically FA if he used his whole off peak on IView(sumthing he would get unmetered on say Node) he has whateva his peak usage is only and when that became the case technically there plans probably beat yours in that capacity

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:36 pm

pomonastik wrote:1/ still no option to move back to a 12am to 12pm timing so that'll have to remain a mystery
I think I know the reason for the confusion.

Are you on an 8Mbps plan at the moment? Because there are new plans with uncharged (AUP limits you to about 80GB per month), 12-12 off-peak for all ADSL/ADSL2+ services except 8Mbps plans. This is because many new 8Mbps plans ended up being throttled at the exchange and so fell short of speed expectations, so Exetel have (hopefully temporarily) ceased offering them.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

pomonastik

Post by pomonastik » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:25 am

hi corey plover

that makes some sense. in answer to your question, yes !
This information reflects the current status of your DSL connection.

Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps): 384
Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps): 7616
so do i hang on to what i've got, warts and all ? or downgrade to a 1.5mbps plan which allows greater daytime downloads, 12 to 12 option. etc

current:
Plan Type: TELN Monthly Access Charge: $75.00 Peak Download Limit: 24000 Peak Period Option: N/A OffPeak Download Limit: 54000 Service Line Speed:8192/384

closest match:
Plan Type:TL-BC Monthly Access Charge: $65.00 Peak Download Limit: 45000 OffPeak Download Limit: No Charge Service Line Speed:1500/256

i'd save $10 a month after the cost of plan change was absorbed but would i be cutting off my nose to spite my face, so to speak ?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:33 am

You are currently syncing at 7.6Mbps, so the TL-BC plan would be a significant downgrade in speed to 1.5Mbps

Personally, I'd retain the TELN plan because 54+24GB is plenty, even for watching streaming iView (a typical 30 minute show consumes only about 150MB or so via iView so that is 80 hours of peak viewing or 180 hours of off-peak) and $10 is probably worth the extra sync speed you are getting.

But it may come down to excess usage charges, which on the old plan are $3/GB, in which case you may have to balance cost vs speed. 1.5Mbps should be sufficient to use iView. Worst case, you just let the show buffer for a little while before commencing viewing. Ultimately the choice is yours alone to make
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

cubic

Post by cubic » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:18 pm

Just to throw in another option, have you seen the iView downloader scripts that some of the Whirlpool regulars are developing? They're a bit hit-and-miss because of frequent changes to the faux-encryption used - attempts by the broadcasters to prevent naughty people downloading iView shows overnight and viewing them at a more convenient time. :roll: But if you're willing to do a bit of work yourself and keep up with frequent updates, your free 70GB at 8 mbit could get you many hours of happy iViewing...
...the term 'Future Perfect' has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be - Douglas Adams

pomonastik

Post by pomonastik » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:01 pm

thanks very much for both those replies. thankfully it looks like exetel will remain my isp. i must admit on a cursory look the downloaders might be a bit beyond me but i'll give it a bash.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:37 pm

Cubic, I haven't tried my Iview script since the format changes were made, so my script is out of date. You can still get rtmpdump in C++ and Perl source from torrents and European sources. It worries me that apart from the main bash script, the Whirlpool download is binary; have you used the new version?

cubic

Post by cubic » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:46 pm

Hi Dazzled,

rtmpdump download is back on its official European site - I compiled v1.9 from source. Getting lots of disconnects with that and the latest bash script but it does resume and works eventually.
Last edited by cubic on Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...the term 'Future Perfect' has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be - Douglas Adams

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:55 pm

Thanks. I'll have to update.