Off-peak / Unlimited plans considerations

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Off-peak / Unlimited plans considerations

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:03 am

Thought I'd raise this suggestion as a continuation of the Back to the Future discussions of unlimited plans, etc. The thought that I had is that is very hard to predict how bandwidth will cope under new plans like these unlimited usage concepts.

Also, as part of these sorts of discussion, the topic of off-peak/peak vs undifferentiated usage gets raised and it is similarly a non-trivial task to predict what would happen to bandwidth utilisation in the hypothetical event that off-peak/peak is abolished (one argument is that people will download a higher quantity at evening hours, the counter argument is that as the majority of current users do not exhaust their current off-peak quotas the effect might be a lot less catastrophic than predicted).

My thought was that Exetel could randomly select customers for temporary (possibly free, or if appropriate, marginally costed) upgrades in order to objectively gauge the effects of new plans or modifications to existing plans. Monitoring the take-up rates or aggregate usage patterns of this random subset of users would give Exetel sample data which can be extrapolated and quantitatively analysed.

For example: Exetel could select, say, 0.25% to 0.5% of customers at random (this gives a sample size of, say, 250-500 users) and give them an unlimited 3am to 7am period for a month. Such a small sample percentage should not have a material impact on remaining users and it would provide valuable data on which Exetel can base informed decisions. I'm sure customers would appreciate the concept of a *free* raffle like this (we're a gambling nation after all) and many would surely appreciate being a pioneer / participant in helping Exetel enhance their services

rseydler

Re: Off-peak / Unlimited plans considerations

Post by rseydler » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:50 am

Sure. Pick me pick me :)

Trial and error can be fun... Suits me to start my daily work downloads at 3am instead of 2am and have them free :)

Ron

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:02 pm

rseydler wrote:Sure. Pick me pick me
Sort of defeats the power of a *random* sample.

This suggestion can only work if users are picked completely at random. Because otherwise you get a 'selection effect' in your sample and cannot accurately extrapolate the results to the entire user base.

rseydler

Post by rseydler » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Ok don't pick me then :)

Ron

David R

Post by David R » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:29 am

I think its overly generous, given Exetel's composition. how about the AAPT +Optus users just get 2am-8am freetime and consider that 'unlimited'. (Time to bite the bullet, JL)

Everone else, 400,000 users put on an unlimited 1am-1pm. like we're all going to DL 100 GB in 360 hours :shock:

Look, Easy to remember;
ADSL2, 2am-8
ADSL1, 1am-1
*Vista Ultimate* Billion,7402GL &TP-Link,D-W8920G <Atten(dB)42 @1.9 km>; HTC Kaiser II, WM6; Pre-paid RP2000 (Optus)
200GB@3.1Mbps,$60pm Zone 1+ 2X H-Line Budget; WP Saver VoIP._ 220.233.165.22x; $3,450 revenue: 5 years club.

terrox

Post by terrox » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:08 am

it wont work, just fix up the way the system handles congestion in an exchange so heavy users wont affect everyone else.

Limit max threads while exchange is congested AND Limit max total speed while exchange is congested.
That is a fair way to give everyone on an exchange a fair share of the bandwidth.
See my topic here http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 59#p259459

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:35 am

terrox wrote:Limit max threads while exchange is congested AND Limit max total speed while exchange is congested.
How would Exetel determine that a particular exchange is congested? I don't think that Exetel are able to directly monitor such stats since at the exchange level, traffic is managed by the carrier.

terrox

Post by terrox » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:18 am

No idea. But I'd start with just implementing Statewide limits during known times of congestion.
If some people did complain about being able to only download from 50 sources at once instead of 2000 sources, then maybe think about adding something to the user control panel which allows users to hit a link "I'm slow now but normally i'm fast" and average out the reports to build a picture of possible exchanges with congestion times and use that to limit "potentially affected users" (and hence the people causing the problem to their neighbours are "fairly" limited too)

rseydler

Post by rseydler » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:30 pm

Funny what goes around in circles these days...
March 1st 2004 Exetel Introduces 8 hour Uncounted Download Period

From March 1st downloads made between 12 midnight and 8 am will not count towards the download allocation on any Exetel ADSL plan.

This significant benefit is a bonus that may be withdrawn at any time by Exetel but there are no plans to do that.

ozblogger

Post by ozblogger » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:11 pm

just heard that TPG have upgraded their 80GB (40/40) ADSL2 @ $49.95
to 100GB (50/50) at same price
Looks like bandwidth is getting cheaper each month :)

David R

Post by David R » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:39 am

https://www.exetel.com.au/members/chang ... e_plan.php

For Christmas please, Exetel.
or November 1st :)
*Vista Ultimate* Billion,7402GL &TP-Link,D-W8920G <Atten(dB)42 @1.9 km>; HTC Kaiser II, WM6; Pre-paid RP2000 (Optus)
200GB@3.1Mbps,$60pm Zone 1+ 2X H-Line Budget; WP Saver VoIP._ 220.233.165.22x; $3,450 revenue: 5 years club.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:32 am

rseydler wrote:Funny what goes around in circles these days...
March 1st 2004 Exetel Introduces 8 hour Uncounted Download Period

From March 1st downloads made between 12 midnight and 8 am will not count towards the download allocation on any Exetel ADSL plan.

This significant benefit is a bonus that may be withdrawn at any time by Exetel but there are no plans to do that.
It shows that we have been 'wrestling' with the issues involved in delivering the most for the least from almost the first day we were in business.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:34 am

David R wrote:https://www.exetel.com.au/members/chang ... e_plan.php

For Christmas please, Exetel.
or November 1st :)
The first of the 12 midnight - 12 noon no charge ADSL1 plans will be on the web site before the end of the week.

G-Box

Post by G-Box » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:35 pm

Hi, Do you plan to implement an unlimited 8192/384 deal also?

Hope this goes well, with that said can't say I don't love my current plan with the 'Exetel Crew'. Keep up the fantastic work/offerings/service & whitty/quirky blogs;)

john.d

Post by john.d » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:19 pm

is the unlimited thing effective now? or next month?
what is the off peak time? still 2am-12pm?