Off-peak / Unlimited plans considerations

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
rahul

Re: Off-peak / Unlimited plans considerations

Post by rahul » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:12 pm

Are there any plans to implement this to adsl2 users maybe capped at 1.5mbit?

TerryP

Post by TerryP » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:48 pm

Firstly, until no customer has to experience unacceptable download speeds due to network congestion Exetel should not contemplate any increases in quota. A customer should not have to suffer with sub 20kB/s download speeds on ADSL2 at any time of day.

Secondly, I think it is inappropriate to selectively favour some customers. This causes ill will even if the unfavoured customers wouldn't have used the fruits of any favouritism if it had been afforded to them.

Thirdly, the use of the word "unlimited" irks me when it is blatantly used as a marketing tool rather than an accurate description of service. If you don't actually intend to offer an unlimited service then don't call it unlimited.

David R

Post by David R » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:26 pm

*Vista Ultimate* Billion,7402GL &TP-Link,D-W8920G <Atten(dB)42 @1.9 km>; HTC Kaiser II, WM6; Pre-paid RP2000 (Optus)
200GB@3.1Mbps,$60pm Zone 1+ 2X H-Line Budget; WP Saver VoIP._ 220.233.165.22x; $3,450 revenue: 5 years club.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:11 am

john.d wrote:is the unlimited thing effective now? or next month?
ForumAdmin's post indicates that "no charge ADSL1 plans will be on the web site before the end of the week"
TerryP wrote:Secondly, I think it is inappropriate to selectively favour some customers. This causes ill will even if the unfavoured customers wouldn't have used the fruits of any favouritism if it had been afforded to them.
Why do you think there is any favouritism at the moment?
TerryP wrote:Thirdly, the use of the word "unlimited" irks me when it is blatantly used as a marketing tool rather than an accurate description of service. If you don't actually intend to offer an unlimited service then don't call it unlimited.
You can be assured that ForumAdmin (Exetel co-founder) shares your view on the marketing practices of other ISPs. The idea is to see how feasible it is to offer true unlimited plans.

Currently, forum posts seem to mention possibilities such as true unlimited for ADSL1 (1.5Mbps) plans, unlimited 12 hour off-peak for ADSL2+ where P2P is prohibited, and/or unlimited ADSL2+ during underutilised periods of bandwidth (i.e. 3am to 8am).

john.d

Post by john.d » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:19 am

is it still
2am-12pm offpeak

cos unlimited but offpeak is 3am-7am is not a good deal..
if we get cut in offpeak hours

I was cut 2 hours to 10, now to 8 hours would drain my peak even more..
Last edited by john.d on Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

David R

Post by David R » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:03 am

To contribute my perspective.
Exchange code '9528' in ADSL1/Metro is an example of an exchange NOT serviced by AAPT OR Optus DSLAMs ....indeed many like us we not only pay dearly for ports, but we (a majority of users in Exetel) have also missed out on speed uncapped over time which others with ADSL2+ enjoy at an affordable price.. and this is a fact of broadband in Exetel or any place else such advantages have been forgotten/ taken 'for granted'.

Exetel current plan table pricing of residential as of 1 November 2009, specifically "included Off Peak Downloads:
12midnight-12noon+"
for the Added Value ADSL 1 plans table, now indicates "No Charge" - so it is not marketed as "unlimited" but it does go some way to ameliorate the imbalance between user groups who either now have broadband or are left with stagnating (Telstra) ports.

In this day and age our nation looks optimistically toward 100Mbit+...... a mere megabit(?) +/- a few hundred kbps in the 1500/256 & 512/128 examples being tested, is hardly worth the description of 'broadband'. Nonetheless, Journalists, you might take notice of what Exetel is doing to stimulate interest in its product line particularly as it steps now an inch closer to 'unmetered broadband' (- even though illusory in more ways than one: ie speed is limited by the infrastructure and the hours to enjoy unmetered are constrained to scheduled times or throttled protocols).
*Vista Ultimate* Billion,7402GL &TP-Link,D-W8920G <Atten(dB)42 @1.9 km>; HTC Kaiser II, WM6; Pre-paid RP2000 (Optus)
200GB@3.1Mbps,$60pm Zone 1+ 2X H-Line Budget; WP Saver VoIP._ 220.233.165.22x; $3,450 revenue: 5 years club.

David R

Post by David R » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:06 am

...Of course you cannot expect unlimited for any duration of time based on uncapped ADSL(1or 2) ports, which consume several megabits PER LINE - bandwidth is still a costly thing to service.
Does TPG supply it ?
I hardly thought so.
That day is yet to arrive...& nothing is free in Exetel's world either.

This does not preclude unmetered being offered where economics makes such thing feasible ....but in the case of our off-peak system it would be very prudent if the extension to ADSL2 could be in some dead period of the night (I think 6 hours would be competitive, say 2am-8), or no hours at all.

I think the descriptive of 'no charge' is intended to act as a drawcard for the budget-conscious-and-(Telstra)-hostages and not there to advertise exceeding 100GB by uncapped speeds users- unless these users could be and were willing to be shaped down to 1.5Mbit connections to join us - artificially of course.

The current weekly bandwidth graph indicates immense potential for early morning ADSL1 transfers and ADSL2 if it can be managed sensibly in time. I also felt it better the latter group have the true 'trough of the network' which predictably will become 2-to-8 am time after the midnight sell out.
ADSL 2 (and 1 to a lesser extent) users can, and do obviously very easily^ schedule data, and have proven to claim the lions share of installed upgrades to the network over the years and now 5 Gigabits per second is being operated!
12 hours a day available for 60 gb a month to me feels generous, but then it takes a DSL1 connection a very significant amount of time to meet let alone exceed such a sensible allocation.- it requires much dedication and I think I am probably the exception being able to achieve it 3 months in a row as per my earlier posting.. I'm also contributing 45GB($) to peak network usage but my point was an adsl2 user accesses the off-peak far more conveniently, and thus will do so more often if charges no longer restrict them.

All in all it is Exetel with the experience delivering concepts like uncharged morning downloads ..and they do have a solid record which supports that these gifts as they gradually are extended, will last longer than a promotion over summer.

Disclaimer: My views and my thoughts - merely a consumer, IP(/Exetel) service.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:11 pm

rahul wrote:Are there any plans to implement this to adsl2 users maybe capped at 1.5mbit?
The lowest ADSL2 plans will have a 12 hour uncharged period from November 1st and are on the web site now.

rseydler

Post by rseydler » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:19 pm

Can we change the wording under member facilities - 0 gbytes is a bit scary.

terrox

Post by terrox » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:05 pm

No Charge?

I'm staring at and thinking - what does it mean?
Reminds me of "Free as in beer" I can think of a few competely opposite (to the intended meaning) yet totally plausible meanings for it. I know what it is "meant" to mean, but the more I stare at it the less I get it.

Peleus

Post by Peleus » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:15 pm

Yeah can we please get some clarification as to exactly what is going on?

I.e. The usage meter is showing I have used 60gb in offpeak this month, of my 48gb limit - if I go further, will I be charged excess usage?

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:35 pm

Peleus wrote:Yeah can we please get some clarification as to exactly what is going on?

I.e. The usage meter is showing I have used 60gb in offpeak this month, of my 48gb limit - if I go further, will I be charged excess usage?
Yes.

owen.crawford

Post by owen.crawford » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:53 pm

Hello,

I would also like clarification on a couple of things regarding these new "unmetered" offpeak plans before I make haste and switch to the NF/21BYOLINE plan.

For example...

1. The wording: In the ADSL1 Pricing (New User) area it says "No Charge" on offpeak. Makes perfect sense. But in the User Facilities under ADSL -> Change My Service it says "0 gbyte(s)" on offpeak... Are these both the same? Do existing customers who change to any of these plans get the same "unmetered/no charge" treatment as New Users? As in, not get charged instantly a $1.50 for every GB I download during offpeak since it says I have "0 gbyte(s)" to begin with? It's kind of the impression I'm getting...

2. The 'NF/21BYOLINE' plan is looking very attractive to me. Is the offpeak really unmetered? Will I get put in the old 'leech/limited pipe pool' exetel used to have implemented a while back when hitting a certain limit of say 60gb? or will I start to get charged extra after 60gb? Or will I simply stay on the same speed pipe all month regardless of how much I've downloaded during offpeak?..

3. Is P2P prohibited on all ADSL1/2 "unmetered offpeak" plans during offpeak?

Would be greatly appreciated if these queries would be answered.

Cheers.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:51 am

I've asked for the User Facilities notation to be changed.

Old Flame

Post by Old Flame » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:22 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:I've asked for the User Facilities notation to be changed.
It's been completed at the website for new users, but not in the members area ADSL/change plan area as yet.