Off-peak / Unlimited plans considerations

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
ryanb

Re: Off-peak / Unlimited plans considerations

Post by ryanb » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:55 pm

Old Flame wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:I've asked for the User Facilities notation to be changed.
It's been completed at the website for new users, but not in the members area ADSL/change plan area as yet.
User facilities and member's area are the same thing.

john.d

Post by john.d » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:09 am

can someone please tell if we need to apply or are we automatically put on the unlimited offpeak plans..

also is the offpeak hours still the same?

cos in my members page, it saids 0/60gb and 2-12pm

Yet the plans still carry the same name..as the new unmetered plans
so what gives???

Old Flame

Post by Old Flame » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:39 am

ryanb wrote:
Old Flame wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:I've asked for the User Facilities notation to be changed.
It's been completed at the website for new users, but not in the members area ADSL/change plan area as yet.
User facilities and member's area are the same thing.

I didn't compare user facilities and user area, I compared the website without logging in plans (which has been updated), against the user facilities/member's area.

David R

Post by David R » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:12 am

A word of caution to our 9mbps enthusiastic users traveling at over 4GB/h in this newly uncharged period of the 1st November 09 while Exetel awaits its billing run due tomorrow if you're at 36 GB now and thinking you'll be first in a pool made specially for high usage users then may https://www.exetel.com.au/members/account_view_plan.php and https://www.exetel.com.au/members/chang ... e_plan.php guide your plans.

Other than that the opening bandwidth graph looks fairly safe, bandwidth tracking nicely along at 4/5ths of capacity over the previous 24 hours.

Nothing too significant to note other than the 2am step appears to be reducing in size thus smoothing out the graph and as people adapt to the changes midnight will likely overtake 2am, again.

When you consider the peak occurs around 10 am +/- 2 hours this provides opportunity for unmetered ADSL2 between 2 and 8 am and I would think ADSL1 would make negligible difference being unmetered/uncharged for 12 hours.

We'll have to see how brash the directors are in promoting these changes up to Christmas.. the information in members is just showing some variability these past few days and its probably just a bug in the system.
*Vista Ultimate* Billion,7402GL &TP-Link,D-W8920G <Atten(dB)42 @1.9 km>; HTC Kaiser II, WM6; Pre-paid RP2000 (Optus)
200GB@3.1Mbps,$60pm Zone 1+ 2X H-Line Budget; WP Saver VoIP._ 220.233.165.22x; $3,450 revenue: 5 years club.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:43 pm

john.d wrote:cos in my members page, it saids 0/60gb and 2-12pm
The 0GB is just a badly worded way of saying "unmetered". The 2-12pm doesn't seem correct though so you might want to send an email to residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:32 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
john.d wrote:cos in my members page, it saids 0/60gb and 2-12pm
The 0GB is just a badly worded way of saying "unmetered". The 2-12pm doesn't seem correct though so you might want to send an email to residentialsupport@exetel.com.au
It is not in fact un metered (the reports in the UF will continue to give that information) - it is uncharged.

David R

Post by David R » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:57 pm

The above is correct.'Uncharged, metered' or 'metered (usage) but not for the purpose of charging the end user'. Those details and that heavy users should be placed in a pool (or similar restriction) will likely go in the Acceptable Usage Policy.

I understand Off peak is a byproduct of Peak and usually try to get that across when describing how bandwidth is a finite resource. I certainly would not depict off-peak as 'Unlimited' and with many others be aware of such falsehoods after two years spent on (bigpond) cable.

Off peak has been described more acceptably as 'uncounted', 'uncharged', 'no charge', 'free time, period' and the ISP will always meter it. Occasionally, marketing speak creeps in and un metered is referred to as a data which will not deduct or count against a pre-set (hard) limit. Exetel (some plans) designates a period (12 hr) to a non-diminishing quota (downloads) - and with no prejudice or preference as to where streams are sourced from, this ISP achieves a neutral network status (as in a Datacentre).
*Vista Ultimate* Billion,7402GL &TP-Link,D-W8920G <Atten(dB)42 @1.9 km>; HTC Kaiser II, WM6; Pre-paid RP2000 (Optus)
200GB@3.1Mbps,$60pm Zone 1+ 2X H-Line Budget; WP Saver VoIP._ 220.233.165.22x; $3,450 revenue: 5 years club.

Magnus

Post by Magnus » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:16 am

G-Box wrote:Hi, Do you plan to implement an unlimited 8192/384 deal also?

Hope this goes well, with that said can't say I don't love my current plan with the 'Exetel Crew'. Keep up the fantastic work/offerings/service & whitty/quirky blogs;)
Yes, what happened to the standard adsl1 8mbit plans?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:58 am

Magnus wrote:Yes, what happened to the standard adsl1 8mbit plans?
From the November newsletter:
Not offering new 8192/384 plans due to increasing speed restrictions reported by an increasing number of new users