Modification Of Acceptable Use Policy

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
rseydler

Modification Of Acceptable Use Policy

Post by rseydler » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:43 am

d) For all plans that have an 'uncharged' off peak period Exetel will deem any individual customer who downloads more than three times the average of all other customers on these types of plans in any period as 'unfair users' and will ask such customers to move to another Exetel plan or to move to another provider.

Could we change this a little? I know it is unlikely but what is everyone averages 1GB for the month and I average 4GB? Could there not be a mention of the "old" 60GB limit? For e.g. Users exceeding XXGB will be pooled and anyone 3 times the average of those users will be "removed" etc etc???

Ron

casio7131

Re: Modification Of Acceptable Use Policy

Post by casio7131 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:49 am

i'm sure this will get clarified soon, but i'm just going to stick under the old 60gb limit to be safe.

Tazz

Post by Tazz » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:04 am

With the old 60gig limit I knew where I stood, now I have absolutely no idea how much I can download! :?
Please bring back the 60gig limit/

stainsby

Post by stainsby » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:09 am

"more than three times the average of all other customers on these types of plans"

What a strange policy - this "average" bandwidth is a variable quantity unknown to anyone except Exetel I suspect. It is not even clear how it is calculated - I assume monthly though. Are some people going to get pinged because everyone else decides to do something different that month? I don't think it will affect me, but it does seem a little random (some might even say 'unconscionable').

Orkon

Post by Orkon » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:24 am

While I can understand/appreciate the concept of "finite bandwidth", as of Nov 1 there were no constraints placed on the Unmetered Plans.

So without disclosure as of Nov 1, and members already on these plans, I would think it reasonable that the changes to the AUP could only be applied as of December 1.

That point aside, I share the sentiments of those in this thread. "Capped Unmetered" is a big danger to users if we never know what the magic "Yard stick" is in terms of the average. I rather go back to my 60 GB off peak that i had in October because in reality i could get asked to leave for using far less than than that (if the average of all users on the unmetered plan is 10GB, then the yard stick is 30GB - which is a loss of content based upon what I had the month before).

While I don't believe that was the intention, thats what the AUP now provides. Is the "unmetered" average only applied after a user exceeds the previous account limit of 60GB?

As of Nov 1 I was already on the TL-BA plan and was "automatically" migrated onto the new plan option with no choice. If I would have known of the extra constraints I would have opted/requested to stay on the "existing" TL-BA (12GB peak/60Gb off peak 2am-12pm). In the past I used to be on the TELO (8MB 36GB Peak/54 GB Off Peak). There were then changes to the 8MB plans that changed the quotas to 30GB/60GB. When that change was put in, the TELO was grandfathered, but i was not "automatically" moved to the new quota arrangement. Why was the same choice not given this time? Why weren't new plans created and the old plans grandfathered? I'll be first to admit i pretty much use my quota every month, sometime even very slightly over - no more than 1gb.

There are no fixed off peak ADSL1 1500 Plans any more, no any 8MB plans. So I have to question whether Exetel is going down the path of trying to drop ADSL1 customers?

Scott

Les

Post by Les » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:12 pm

Hi,

I didn't realise I had been moved to an plan with an uncounted period until I received the "Modification Of Acceptable Use Policy" notification earlier today.

As someone who has never downloaded more than 15Gb in the off-peak period and who usually downloads less than 5Gb in the off-peak period I'm also concerned that if the average downloads by other users on these plans is quite low than this level of usage could now result in me being considered an "unfair user".

I too would like to see point "9.1 d" changed to make some reference to the old 60Gb limit.

You could change point "9.1 d" to something like
d) For all plans that have an 'uncharged' off peak period Exetel will deem any individual customer that has downloaded more than 60Gb and has downloaded more than three times the average of all other customers on these types of plans in any period as 'unfair users' and will ask such customers to move to another Exetel plan or to move to another provider.

or

d) For all plans that have an 'uncharged' off peak period Exetel will deem any individual customer who downloads more than three times the average of all other customers on these types of plans or 60Gb whichever is the larger amount in any period as 'unfair users' and will ask such customers to move to another Exetel plan or to move to another provider.
Les
Last edited by Les on Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

LordS

Post by LordS » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:15 pm

I'd much prefer the old 60GB at least then customers knew where they stood.

I recall a man once saying "A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine." - Thomas Jefferson, quoted by John Linton monday, december 29. 2008 08:23am

Amazing once again 'the mob' ruins it for the rest of us.

Col

Post by Col » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:21 pm

In the past the average usage of offpeak across all plans has been stated to be nowhere near even the 60GB limit that you had on the plans. So let's say the average offpeak usage last month was 10GB, that means everyone over 30GB is in trouble. If you really want to keep this kind of system you just introduced then how about excluding accounts that have downloaded less than 40GB or 60GB from the average to make it more reasonable?

Paktorikku

Post by Paktorikku » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:37 pm

Ive always either came close to or pass 60gb before they introduced this uncharged thing. They should match up ur current offpeak activity with your previous offpeak activities before the offpeak changes was imposed. If its like double... then obviously ur dling stuff u normally dont dl.

rseydler

Post by rseydler » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:16 pm

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:39 am

As posted above. Probably best to keep to one thread so I've locked this one