Change to AUP - Section (d)

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Change to AUP - Section (d)

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:28 am

rseydler wrote:Well it is now showing in member facilities however I would have imagined that it would be higher than 79.5GB as that was the average X 3 yesterday?
The average quoted would be the average for the complete previous month.

Les

Post by Les » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:41 am

Forum Admin,
ForumAdmin wrote:It will be a few words and a number on the user facilities beneath your current month usage summary.
Can you also please consider having this value added to the data returned when calling the usagemeter.php page so that it can be used by Third Party Usage Meters.
Les
Last edited by Les on Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Edwin

Post by Edwin » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:44 am

TerryP wrote:Could you please take my post seriously? To achieve decent download speeds during much of off-peak it is necessary to download from multiple, simultaneous sources. That may be okay for many people. What if I only want one source in one stream at a speed of at least say 100kB/s? Is it fair that I might get 20kB/s while other users open up 50 connections and get 1000kB/s and further congest the network?
Have you ever considered the slow speeds you're experiencing might be due to the source you are downloading from and not related to your connection or anywhere within Exetel's control?

There is no time during the day or night that I haven't been able to max out my ADSL2 connection (@ 11 - 12 Mpbs) by downloading large files from a single reputable source (e.g. OS updates).

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:47 am

alinos wrote:so theres no kicking this month tho right cos i already have broken that 75GB mark as mentioned earlier

it was because im restoring my steam directory which i was going to just do over the next couple of months to use up the last of the off peak download then the plans changed 3 days after i got connected

im happy to dial it way back for the rest of the month just be nice to have some clarification
The revised acceptable use policy will come in to affect from 1/12/09.

Please remember, and I understand that this does not apply to you personally as you are in the first month of a 12 month contract, that Exetel is not contractually or legally obliged to provide services beyond the initial contract period and has always taken a very dim view of "abusers".

We run Exetel as a 'co-operative' and anticipate that the overwhelming majority of our users will act in a similar fashion.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:48 am

Les wrote:Forum Admin,
ForumAdmin wrote:It will be a few words and a number on the user facilities beneath your current month usage summary.
Can you also please consider having this value added to the XML file that Exetel generates for use by Third Party Usage Meters?

Les
It's on the list of things to be done.

alinos

Post by alinos » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:49 am

thankyou for answering the question

i had no intention of abuse and am happy to spread it out over the coming months cheers

rseydler

Post by rseydler » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:09 am

CoreyPlover wrote:
rseydler wrote:Well it is now showing in member facilities however I would have imagined that it would be higher than 79.5GB as that was the average X 3 yesterday?
The average quoted would be the average for the complete previous month.
Many thanks and I'd just like to add "Love the Exetel". Been here 8 months I think and loving the service!

Ron

Donskey

Post by Donskey » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:30 am

Well it is good to see that management has seen fit to legislate this decision as of the 1st of Dec.

Well done, that is fair enough. I don't think anyone can complain from here on. :D

brod

Post by brod » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:41 am

ForumAdmin wrote: On the topic of advising a monthly average - yes, we will do that and it will be updated daily.
CoreyPlover wrote: The average quoted would be the average for the complete previous month.
Can someone confirm which of these statements reflects how the averages will be calculated/displayed from December onwards please.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:21 pm

brod wrote:Can someone confirm which of these statements reflects how the averages will be calculated/displayed from December onwards please.
My comment was purely in respect of the currently reported October average and rseydler's question at http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 21#p261921. See http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 92#p261792 which said:
ForumAdmin wrote:
raedphiz wrote:To give us a guide as to what the "quota" will be for this month could the averages for October please be posted.
26.5 gb
I do not know what will be reported from 1 December 2009 onwards. It may be the previous month's (complete) average download quota, it might be a rolling 30 day average updated daily, or it might be the last month's (partial month's) average updated daily. I'm not sure but I would think that a figure, updated monthly as based on the last month, or last few month's, usage would be more useful and practical for all involved.

alinos

Post by alinos » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:47 pm

i actually think daily is more practical since one month could be quiet but then the next there could ba a large amount of OS updates that wouldnt push the average up until the next month

the updated daily mentioned at the start seems the best implementation IMO

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:36 pm

Exetel may wish to consider a scheme similar to some cable providers (I remember Optus Cable doing this many years ago): Assign users a category as based on ratio of their rolling 30 day downloads to the Exetel-wide rolling 30 days downloads. Something like green for a ratio of 0 to 1, orange for 1 to 2, red for 2 to 3 and black for 3+. Display this (colour and value) to the user in the user facilities in place of the actual GB value.

The reasoning is that if you try to present a GB value, people will try to target it in absolute terms. But this will be their own undoing as a daily GB target is subject to volatility. If, instead, you display a colour coded category and a ratio, then if users see themselves verging up past the red category and towards the black, they can just stop downloading. If you curb your downloads your ratio is guaranteed (mathematically) to decrease, therefore you can regulate yourself in order to keep below the black listed category.

john.d

Post by john.d » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:01 pm

Seriously, do yo expected us to check what our daily ratio is?
We need to login in daily to the website etc..

This is a total waste of time..

If you guys can't provide the bandwidth for unmetered, then just go back to old 60gb limit etc..
At least we know how much we downloaded, and get charged if we go over..plus you get 2gb buffer...before getting charged.

This is new version uses fear.
If you go over the limit, you get booted...
So ppl would go lower than the average limit each month because of fear, which would push the average lower every month..

If the average is say 79.5gb etc,, then people would do maybe 78gb (i.e all the ppl who regulary go up to their 60gb limit on the old plan etc would continue here) while ppl who only download say 30 gb etc would remain so..
So next month ppl would go below 78gb etc in fear of going over, and getting booted, so the average would decrease next month..

I know ppl can do 3x the average but, those are only the really high downloaders, since this practice uses fear, many ppl would curb their downloads to below the average so not be a target for termination etc..

-Also if the average becomes less for a month, then we may be worse off than having a certain 60gb limit..

-We know how slow the exetel meter can take before it updates, which means ppl could accidentally go above the average before it reflects the true amount

-The punishment/penalty is too harsh..
-You can't change plans, cos offpeak is the problem and it's all the same.. nor do we want to change plans, some of us of have a budget...

Thus this plan is a total failure..

ryanb

Post by ryanb » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:37 pm

I understand why people are wanting the old system back because instead of being charged a $3 excess fee for going over, people may be disconnected entirely. All this for what is now an extra 20gb of offpeak quota.

Col

Post by Col » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:50 pm

john.d wrote:-The punishment/penalty is too harsh..
Perhaps. Exetel has every right to terminate the relationship with a customer, especially if they are abusive, though from the outside it does look a bit extreme. Don't get me wrong, abusers need to be punished. My idea would be to reduce their offpeak period for 1-2 months to say 3am to 9am as punishment, moving the rampant downloading into the quietest part of offpeak.

I'm a little worried about the average decreasing too, however I'm confident that the bulk of the customer base will continue increasing their average, like they have been doing over the years, and keep it stable and slowly increase it over time. I will wait and see how the system goes over the next couple of months before I give a final verdict.