Change to AUP - Section (d)

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
john.d

Re: Change to AUP - Section (d)

Post by john.d » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:44 pm

rahul wrote:If 26.5gig was avg for the month of oct, that is only based on 60gb limit. This month how ever had no limit and as a result the avg should be considerably higher. Lets say 30gb was the avg for nov, thus giving a limit of 90GB, and if the heavy down-loaders reach the 90gb (as oppose to 60gig in oct), this will bring the avg up again, to say 35GB, thus limit would be 115gb... and so on....

But of cours, for this to happen you will need to rely on users who always reach the 3x limit.

Ignoring the month of nov and dec.... here is a scenario for the year 2010that could happen.

Jan: Avg - 30GB = max limit 90GB.
Feb: Avg - 32.5GB = 97.5GB
Mar: Avg - 35GB = 115GB
April: Avg - 37.5GB = 112.5GB
etc.....

Depending on the number max down loaders their are, the Avg could actually rise exponentially. Basically the so called abusers will become the heroes for many.
Thus for the thing to rise, everyone would have to decide to download to the limit..
Which nullifies exetel purpose of capping the offpeak..

And also of possibility of high downloaders slowly getting killed off..which reduces the limit..

cdonges

Post by cdonges » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:45 pm

Tazz wrote:I don't know why everyone is so worried about the average dropping.
This is the bandwidth usage for the past 12 months...
It has about doubled, as it has each year since Exetel started, I see no reason to think it won't continue to rise as even more people start using things like ABC iView and Foxtel downloads and catching up with watching TV programs on the networks streaming sites etc etc etc
I believe you are correct about iview, etc but the bandwidth graph is meaningless without knowing how many customers they had at those times.

Tazz

Post by Tazz » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:59 pm

cdonges wrote: I believe you are correct about iview, etc but the bandwidth graph is meaningless without knowing how many customers they had at those times.
Regardless of how many customers, the bandwidth doubled.

Edwin

Post by Edwin » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:08 pm

john.d wrote:If 60gb fine, then put it back to the old system..
This system is not the same, cos you get booted..
You don't get booted, you get asked to move to a more appropriate plan or you get the chance to move to another provider if you wish to do so.

I don't think anyone has to be scared to be booted out, unless you managed to p*** off FA, at which stage you deserve to be booted out anyway.
Last edited by Edwin on Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

john.d

Post by john.d » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:12 pm

Edwin wrote:
john.d wrote:If 60gb fine, then put it back to the old system..
This system is not the same, cos you get booted..
You don't get booted, you get asked to move to a more appropriate plan or you get the chance to move to another provider if you wish to do so.
How do you move to a more appropriate plan? The problem is to do with offpeak which is the same for the all the plans..on adsl1

cdonges

Post by cdonges » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:19 pm

Tazz wrote:
cdonges wrote: I believe you are correct about iview, etc but the bandwidth graph is meaningless without knowing how many customers they had at those times.
Yes and if the customers doubled too then the average stayed the same!

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Exetel stated that users grew 25% from July 1st 2008 to June 30th 2009.

Tazz

Post by Tazz » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:32 pm

cdonges wrote:
Tazz wrote:
Yes and if the customers doubled too then the average stayed the same!
Well, I'm not worried about it, exetel will do the best they can for us, after all that's the reason they are in business.
When I joined a few years ago the DL limits wre 36gig and 30gig, no voip, no SMS. Now we have 100 free voip calls each month, free sms and then only pay 8c after that, and the DL limits have done nothing but increase.
Exetel are the best ISP I've ever been with....

username4me

Post by username4me » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:57 pm

As I read this thread, it appears Exetel have emotionally damaged a lot of fragile souls by changing their T&C's. HTFU souls.

So I paid a visit to broadbland choice and it still appears Exetel offers the most bandwidth for the money for most plans, ADSL1 and 2 so it beats me why people are so upset. Even with the 54Gb limit, Exetel still offer the best value for money if you simply need a raw internet connection.

I'm all for removing the 'unmetered' or 'uncharged' or anything the bleaters use as ammunition in e-arguments. It's pleasant to see many posts by management advising people they have a choice.

Even if offpeak bandwidth allowance dropped back to 54Gb, it's still in the best value for money contenders. A statement for Australia, not just ISP's: "If you dont like it, leave"

I appreciate great value plans which Exetel offer.

cdonges

Post by cdonges » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:08 pm

username4me wrote:Even if offpeak bandwidth allowance dropped back to 54Gb, it's still in the best value for money contenders. A statement for Australia, not just ISP's: "If you dont like it, leave"
Might be good advice for an isp but for Australia I would prefer "If you love it but it's broken, try and fix it".

rahul

Post by rahul » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:51 pm

Is anyone able to tell us what the avg for the month of Nov is sitting on?

stainsby

Post by stainsby » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:32 pm

cdonges wrote:
username4me wrote:A statement for Australia, not just ISP's: "If you dont like it, leave"
Might be good advice for an isp but for Australia I would prefer "If you love it but it's broken, try and fix it".
When conservative meets progressive ... -)

rseydler

Post by rseydler » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:25 pm

So now that the dust has settled on this thread an everyone seems pretty content to ride the wheel...

I have one final query.

The monthly average, is taken from people on the same plan as me or is it pooled across all plans on the "not charged"? If it is all plans combined then that puts the ADSL2 plan in with the ADSL1 plans.

Just a thought... may the dust be swept off :)

Ron

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:53 pm

9.1(d) of the AUP says "For all plans that have an “uncharged” off peak period Exetel will deem any individual customer who downloads more than three times the average of all other customers on these types of plans in any period as “unfair users” (emphasis mine). My reading of that is that it pools ADSL1 and ADSL2+ users together. But, to hit 60GB you only need sustained speeds of 50KB/s, which is achievable on ADSL1 plans. So I don't think it makes too much difference

LordS

Post by LordS » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:31 pm

poll em together, total average across all unmetered plans.

Then the adsl2 people can bring the average up for us :)