Change to AUP - Section (d)

Open discussion regarding technological or telecommunication issues
Tazz

Re: Change to AUP - Section (d)

Post by Tazz » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:04 pm

rseydler wrote:
Tazz wrote:
alinos wrote:Tazz the top 100 this month was only a trial to see what would happen when they were shaped and to experiment with said shaping
Yes I know.
I'm just saying that from Dec 1st users should be able to download up to the monthly limit (79.5gig or whatever), and then are shaped in the offpeak hours for the rest of the month. But VOIP should be exempt from shaping.
X2 and remove the block pages please? Just send an email when you hit 100% and shape the service. Block pages - well I'd never heard of them until I joined Exetel. Automatic shaping was much easier if the service seemed slow you check your usage meter or email.
Ron
I agree, no need for block pages, when the maximum download limit is reached just start shaping, and send an email explaining that they have hit the wall for downloads in the offpeak period.
If people can't be bothered to check their usage to see how their going, tough luck!

tr3nton

Post by tr3nton » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:32 pm

Tazz wrote: I agree, no need for block pages, when the maximum download limit is reached just start shaping, and send an email explaining that they have hit the wall for downloads in the offpeak period.
If people can't be bothered to check their usage to see how their going, tough luck!
It's a courtesy to warn people once they go have 2gb they are charged at $6/gb - assuming they have the shaped option.
hi

alinos

Post by alinos » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:30 pm

no offense but this whole thread is specifically regarding the uncharged policy so none the 2GB period isnt even applicable

as i pointed out earlier tho the shaped speeds were not adequate to even access gmail or exetel i would rather a block page so that if it suddenly goes to the shit i can tell ive actually been shaped and the net isnt just broked

rseydler

Post by rseydler » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:04 pm

alinos wrote:no offense but this whole thread is specifically regarding the uncharged policy so none the 2GB period isnt even applicable

as i pointed out earlier tho the shaped speeds were not adequate to even access gmail or exetel i would rather a block page so that if it suddenly goes to the shit i can tell ive actually been shaped and the net isnt just broked

If you can't access the net (exetel), then why would you believe you could see the block page ;)

Ron

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:39 pm

rseydler wrote:If you can't access the net (exetel), then why would you believe you could see the block page ;)
The block page is an internal redirection, which occurs before shaping kicks in. Therefore it (along with Exetel forums, etc) should be accessible even if shaping or external routing doesn't work as expected.

alinos

Post by alinos » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:11 am

i could access the net ie google search basically anything going any further into most pages resulted in a time out

and pure text based forums with no flash or Jpgs on it so i know i couldnt get to the block page

ozblogger

Post by ozblogger » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:53 am

While I understand, why exetel has to enforce fair-usage for Off-Peak , I do have a request to make
Please make Off-Peak "No Charge" to at least a min. 95GB.

Given the competition (AAPT & TPG) both have 100GB (Peak+Off-Peak) in their $49.99 plans.
It'll be great to have 100GB on the cheapest plan here too (5+95)

Any thoughts ?

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:02 pm

It's not possible on ADSL1, but we do offer something similar on ADSL2; http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_adsl2_nf.php

alinos

Post by alinos » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:49 pm

no offense oz but if you need the extra usage surley you can just go to the next plan up

my instant view of a 5gb peak and 95 off is someone's set up a torrent box that my view anyway

they also have half as much off peak time as exetel gives us so i thing the 15GB that your missing out on(cos thats all it is currently) is a fair bloody tradeoff

irony of this is that for 10 dollars extra you get the same usage amount on ADSL2 85Gb again but you can if need use the excess usage charge without being requested to move plans or what not

david256

Post by david256 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:01 pm

ozblogger wrote:
Given the competition (AAPT & TPG) both have 100GB (Peak+Off-Peak) in their $49.99 plans.
It'll be great to have 100GB on the cheapest plan here too (5+95)

Any thoughts ?
TPG offer 50GB peak + 50GB off peak Total 100Gb 49.99 plan and if you read the fine print their off peak
period is 2am-8am.

I personally believe Exetel should reduce the off peak times to 4am-8am just for the "No Charge Plans" just as other isp's do.

alinos

Post by alinos » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:31 pm

well that reduction from 4am to 8 am actually means we cant use more than 75GB on 1500 speeds

but that kind of reduction takes the value out of thier plans and the main point of exetels plans to use the off peak for your downloads

plus the amount of people who had a go at them for the 2am start instead i dont think 4 is gonna be much more favourable

if it became a choice between smaller period of off peak and a hard limit i think youd find people would prefer a hard limit

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:15 pm

It seems to have escaped some people's attention is that the recent changes have never been about increasing off peak downloads to hundreds of gigabytes per user but to try and ensure that otherwise 'wasted' bandwidth is used by those customers who have a use for it.

So rather than charging users who exceed the previous 60 gb limit we have opened it up to what is available - so in November we estimated a number that would be available and in December there will be another number.

If you feel you need to download 100 gb of data in the off peak period then Exetel is not a suitable iSP for your needs and you should find one that will allow you to do that at a price that suits you.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:17 pm

david256 wrote: I personally believe Exetel should reduce the off peak times to 4am-8am just for the "No Charge Plans" just as other isp's do.
If we did "what other ISPs do" what would be the point in being in business?

Far Queue

Post by Far Queue » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:31 pm

david256 wrote:
ozblogger wrote:I personally believe Exetel should reduce the off peak times to 4am-8am just for the "No Charge Plans" just as other isp's do.
God no. The larger off-peak period was the main reason I chose Exetel over TPG.

cdonges

Post by cdonges » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:44 pm

Will the shaping be back tomorrow?